Government HGV test process change?

I am booked in for my C+E with PSTT in January, after passing Class C in August.

By then, do you think my test/training will be any different to what it would have been without the rule changes?

I guess the test might not include the reverse and uncoupling/coupling exercises, but I assume I’ll still need to practice both and prove I can do it. One less thing to worry about for test day I guess.

Firstly, good choice of trainer!

I am as sure as I can be that the format will have changed by January. The test probably wont include the reversing/coupling and uncoupling. These will be done by an accredited assessor on site and wont form part of the driving test. So, as you say, one less thing to worry about on test day.

There is a little doubt over the duration of the drive which is currently 50 minutes for CE but is likely changing to 60 minutes for those going from car to artic. A decision has yet to be made about C to CE - whether it will be 50 or 60 minutes.

Good luck with it all, Pete S :laughing: :laughing:

Pete S:

I am booked in for my C+E with PSTT in January, after passing Class C in August.

By then, do you think my test/training will be any different to what it would have been without the rule changes?

I guess the test might not include the reverse and uncoupling/coupling exercises, but I assume I’ll still need to practice both and prove I can do it. One less thing to worry about for test day I guess.

Firstly, good choice of trainer!

I am as sure as I can be that the format will have changed by January. The test probably wont include the reversing/coupling and uncoupling. These will be done by an accredited assessor on site and wont form part of the driving test. So, as you say, one less thing to worry about on test day.

There is a little doubt over the duration of the drive which is currently 50 minutes for CE but is likely changing to 60 minutes for those going from car to artic. A decision has yet to be made about C to CE - whether it will be 50 or 60 minutes.

Good luck with it all, Pete S :laughing: :laughing:

Ah fantastic, thank you for that information Pete. The Class C training was well worth the trip up from South Wales - I couldn’t recommend it enough.

I’m now looking forward to returning for more training in the artic, but I will admit I am still as daunted by the size of it as I was before I did my Class C!

Folks need to be aware of a couple of points. Firstly, there is no guarantee that any change will actually happen. Secondly, IF any of the changes do get approval, no-one has a clue when the implementation date might be. Guess’s are about. But this is crazy. Folks are guessing when something might happen that has yet to be agreed.

I strongly suggest folks carry on as normal. Cos this might remain the case. Who knows?

I will update as soon as any information is available.

Pete S :laughing: :laughing: