Good or bad idea. Tractors to be class C

Funny this post came up, I literally saw a tractor on the road with a hitch that allowed it to pull a full tri-axle trailer down a major A-road.

Basically, something like in the picture below is what I saw.

download.jpg

Regularly see them on major trunk routes - tractor with 2/3 axle plant trailer fully loaded driven by somebody who would look more at home doing a paper round. :open_mouth:

They seem to be attacking farming worldwide! This will take tractor drivers away from farming! What a ■■■■ time to be alive.

Narc:
They seem to be attacking farming worldwide! This will take tractor drivers away from farming! What a [zb] time to be alive.

To be fair that seems to selectively miss the point that the ability to haul a semi trailer, doing what is effectively haulage, not farming, without an O licence or LGV qualified drivers, is doing exactly that.
I guess that stopping the use of tractors, carrying out what is clearly haulage work, by way of the construction and use and type approval and O licencing system, would be a sufficient and better solution.IE tractors not allowed to be used for haulage purposes and only allowed to pull agricultural machinery over very short limited distances on public roads directly related to the operator’s own account farm work.
Other than that it goes on a properly licenced truck.

I do not read about many accidents where these have been involved so I say leave them be :wink:

fuse:
I do not read about many accidents where these have been involved so I say leave them be :wink:

Here’s a nasty one.

youtu.be/BNlGsSXPA3k

There was one a few years ago, I think in Glasgow?, when a JCB Fast track with loaded a plant trailer rolled backwards down a slip road. Can’t remember exactly, but I think fatal.

fingermissing:

fuse:

Here’s a nasty one.

youtu.be/BNlGsSXPA3k

18 year old male arrested for suspected drug driving apparently.

Are they exempt from securing the loads they carry :smiley:
All the ones I see passing through Heywood rarely bother.

Some of these tractors can go as fast as a lorry nowadays and with the heavy loads, I reckon they should be on a category C licence.

As you can see by this video they are rather dangerous in the wrong hands…

bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-englan … k-63075105

I often see tractors and trailors running through Perth City. I expect that its common practice in other semi rural places. I would have them with tachos and the driver should have a C+E licence. We dont want tired lorry drivers so why should agricultural workers be treated differently. Agriculture and fishing are the most dangerous occupations out there.