Go Sick Monday.

Captain Caveman 76:
Quick question. Is it worth keeping the lift axle down in strong winds, even though I’m empty?

Won’t make any difference bud.

Captain Caveman 76:
Quick question. Is it worth keeping the lift axle down in strong winds, even though I’m empty?

I wouldn’t bother, it is close to the other wheel which is contacting the ground, its not the traction you are wanting, I would think up is better for getting a bit more weight pushing down rather than it taking the weight.

raymundo:

Captain Caveman 76:
Edit, is air pressure measured in “Pascals” now?

Haven’t heard that for a while now but yes still used. I hope the wind doesn’t start to blow hard too early on Monday as I have to get this beast back into Troon Harbour early afternoon with a 4 metre stack of timber on deck as she is a ■■■■■ to handle even on a good day … :frowning:

Ray did you make the evening news or are you still with us■■?

syramax:
has anyone else noticed the roads have been a bit quieter today ? or has it only been in west ■■■■■■■ ?

Can’t say I have, but then again I have spend most of the day in my dressing gown, painting models.

the nodding donkey:

syramax:
has anyone else noticed the roads have been a bit quieter today ? or has it only been in west ■■■■■■■ ?

Can’t say I have, but then again I have spend most of the day in my dressing gown, painting models.

I have an image in my head, could you please clarify what type of models you were painting please.

syramax:

Just got back after my nightshift, and I thought the M1 southbound, at least, was virtually deserted! It definitely seemed quieter tonight - far less cars and lorries.

Also, I had more ■■■■■■ tightening moments oop north tonight than I’ve had in my entire driving career combined :open_mouth:

Captain Caveman 76:

the nodding donkey:

syramax:

I have an image in my head, could you please clarify what type of models you were painting please.

:grimacing:

Hurryup&wait:

raymundo:

Captain Caveman 76:
Edit, is air pressure measured in “Pascals” now?

Haven’t heard that for a while now but yes still used. I hope the wind doesn’t start to blow hard too early on Monday as I have to get this beast back into Troon Harbour early afternoon with a 4 metre stack of timber on deck as she is a ■■■■■ to handle even on a good day … :frowning:

Ray did you make the evening news or are you still with us■■?

We part loaded on Saturday and completed the last 100 ton or so on Sunday although the planning permission says ‘no Sunday work’ so this enebled us to sail on the earlier high water or as soon as we came afloat and we get back to Troon in the calm before the storm. The wind last night kept me awake till about 4 this morn though …

raymundo:
We part loaded on Saturday and completed the last 100 ton or so on Sunday although the planning permission says ‘no Sunday work’ so this enebled us to sail on the earlier high water or as soon as we came afloat and we get back to Troon in the calm before the storm. The wind last night kept me awake till about 4 this morn though …

What type of boat are you on?

An ex Greek passenger landing craft that operated out of Corfu, bought and adapted to carry about 800 odd ton of cargo on the old car deck, 64 metres long.

20160317_142057.jpg

WOW that is cool, really interesting too. A few of my personal friends are master mariners, two work as Humber pilots, the other is running a yacht charter company. Interesting life and some of their stories make mine sound like a children’s book.

I held a foreign going masters ticket when working for a dutch company but let it lapse and now plodding around the Clyde Estuary is good enough for me. Had enough of dealing with corrupt officials and been counters who make the people that run some road haulage outfits look like saints …

raymundo:
I held a foreign going masters ticket when working for a dutch company but let it lapse and now plodding around the Clyde Estuary is good enough for me. Had enough of dealing with corrupt officials and been counters who make the people that run some road haulage outfits look like saints …

I see my mates photos from the days they were sailing through the Suez, all of them were on oil tankers years ago, some stories they tell of handing money and cigarette bribes out to harbour masters etc. People you think are beyond corruption but turn out to be more corrupt than the cargo handlers because they can be.

Africa is the worst place to go for giving the thievin ■■■■■■■ a bung which normall consisted of a carton of the cheapest ■■■■ and a bottle of Scotch, again the cheapest possible !! One trip to near Port Harcourt in Nigeria cost the ship the equivalent of £750 in US dollars with bungs and penalties.

Ferry schedules are getting back to normal now but there are still delays.

If you’re looking for an update on the ferry sailing situation, we’ve been updating our blog on our website every few hours with the latest sailing schedules. You can follow us on Facebook and Twitter too.