Gloves....what type?

sammym:
Good thing - get them wet and worked in and they literally fit like a glove. They mould to your hands. Also warm in the winter and super comfy.

Bad thing - they are not great when wet and absorb water.

My buggers dyed my hands yellow I looked like I had jaundice, (washed off after a few rigorous washes though thankfully), lesson learnt though, now it’s work supplied gloves for wet work and dieseling up and my yellow leather ones for dry and cleanish work and like you said when it’s nippy outside.

I get the lined leather gloves from spire workwear as they are down the road from me.

Don’t forget that price is plus vat so 7 quid odd a pair.

But they last ages, I usually change them before they have even had a chance to wear out as eventually they get filthy and keeping your hands clean is hard with dirty gloves.

I buy probably 5 pairs a year maybe but we’ll worth the money.

Rigger gloves wear out far too easy and would probably buy 20 pairs of those in a year.

Kynszon:
Hi guys which gloves are best for the job?

I am looking at these:
spireworkwear.co.uk/index.ph … ductId=162

and these:
spireworkwear.co.uk/index.ph … ductId=161

cheers

Definitely would go for the second lot of gloves, we call them posh riggers gloves, cheaper ones are made from old car seat covers, they do the job ok, unless from Chinese cars :stuck_out_tongue: myself I buy packs of 10 cotton blue dip plastic coated gloves, last me for ages, sweat, yeah n stink, but great on wet/oiled suzies , keep an old rag to wipe them clean after…Great tip is if you see a forkie driver or an office chappie with a super clean hi viz jacket and unused gloves, be friendly n say, "Hey mate those are cool gloves, where you get those from?. sometimes works, and he/she offers a free pair to you. :laughing: ( I always had a stash of gloves in side locker that way!)

Gloves, like boots, are a very personal choice.

If a driver wants to use the standard issue stuff, that’s fine by me, I prefer to use my own.

Gloves I like Polyco Granite leather gloves for working, I have 2 pairs so that I (hopefully!) have a dry pair to put on if I get very wet whilst the others dry. They last for ages and ages, which is good because they’re very expensive!

When I’m doing fuel or checking oil I use a pair of those nitrile fully dipped knitted gloves. Dead cheap and waterproof - I don’t want oil or diesel getting on my hands. I got a box of 10 of them for about a tenner I think. So I’ve got a couple of pairs in the truck, in my car, and some stray pairs floating around at home somewhere :laughing:

slowlane:
Gloves, like boots, are a very personal choice.

I use a pair of those nitrile fully dipped knitted gloves.

Hmm. Knitting our own gloves, gives me an idea :bulb: Knitting for drivers on POA :laughing:

Basically you need the leather for winding legs (as anything rubberised binds up on the handle) and also for rough/sharp material handling. The problem is leather is ■■■■ in the wet. You can get waterproof leather gloves like Motorbike gloves are but pricey.

What I do is just put some disposable latex gloves on first when it’s wet.

Own Account Driver:
Basically you need the leather for winding legs (as anything rubberised binds up on the handle) and also for rough/sharp material handling. The problem is leather is [zb] in the wet. You can get waterproof leather gloves like Motorbike gloves are but pricey.

What I do is just put some disposable latex gloves on first when it’s wet.

Leather - rubber - latex … this is starting to get interesting :exclamation: :unamused: :wink: :laughing:

gardening gloves, 99p. or 49p if you know where to go.

steviespain:

^^^^^^
and if you dont know where to go,then by all means open a new thread on here asking whats the best satnav to buy.
weve not had one for a couple of days now…

dieseldog999:

steviespain:

^^^^^^
and if you dont know where to go,then by all means open a new thread on here asking whats the best satnav to buy.
weve not had one for a couple of days now…

good idea doggy, but I already have one.
But there’s always new guys, like me, who need help, advice, and pointing in the right direction.

Was talking to Sammy earlier, he’s off to do an assessment for his PPL soon. He asked me to say hello :slight_smile:

steviespain:
Was talking to Sammy earlier, he’s off to do an assessment for his PPL soon. He asked me to say hello

^^^^^^^^^^^^
best get real friends instead of the imaginary ones from the mirror,but i suppose the hard part will be when you all try to have a group hug,with only two arms…

dieseldog999:

steviespain:
Was talking to Sammy earlier, he’s off to do an assessment for his PPL soon. He asked me to say hello

^^^^^^^^^^^^
best get real friends instead of the imaginary ones from the mirror,but i suppose the hard part will be when you all try to have a group hug,with only two arms…

C’mon maaaaan! is that the best you can do?
Look, try this one, see if it fits…
“Never come to a battle of wits unarmed”

Although I could easily apply that one to me, too.

BTW, you may, or may not, believe this…that pic of the satnav in the cockpit? I asked my little brother if he would take a pic like that so I could post it on here. Wasn’t Sammy, was my brother, Jim.

Whatever it was, just let it go, man, let it go.