GL Baker

I’ve only just seen the name Ronnie Cunliffe mentioned above on a post from 2016 and it’s set me wondering.

Several years ago, I worked at Steetley transport with a lad of the same name. I realise that Cunliffe isn’t an uncommon name, nor is the name Ronnie, but the interesting thing is, I remember him telling me that he’d previously driven for G L Baker. Out of which depot, I have no idea, but considering the fact that he originated from Hindley, then Warrington would appear to be a likely candidate.

Whether it’s the same bloke or not, I wouldn’t have a clue, but here’s a photo of the guy that I took in about 1986. If it is the chap in question, then maybe someone will recognise him. If it isn’t, then I apologise for wasting your time.

john7420:

john7420:

lcb:
Having worked at G.L.Baker for a few years during the seventies it was a good job,many of the drivers were a gOod bunch and I wonder if many are still about ,the depot that we worked from was channel sea road then just off the silver town way.the drivers that it would be good to hear from are J.Abbott A.Abbott J.Powers B.Hughes .
My name is Len Berry anyone else who remembers me please get in touch it would be nice to catch up.

I was at warrington depot remember JIMMY POWERS JOEY ABBOTT AND HIS BROTHER last saw Bobby Hughes in café on A1 forgot what café was called (age) I seem to remember you as well Lennie did you not do Scratchewood changeover a few times with me John Rudd?

Hi your name does ring a bell ,but thinking about it ,it was Lennie Lucking that used to do the change over now and the when the regular guy was off. Good when he was on always on time the other bugger was early if he was only an hour late! Supposed to meet me 1st at 2200 Jimmy Ryan at 0059 Then Roberts AKA taillights AT 0200 last one was often there before he arrived for mine. Was happier when we moved to Silvertown and came there then picked up at depot.Then more stuff at Raines in Enfield Not bad when first trunk I did was change over at Loncoln Farm café got 14 hours night rate for it then it went to Blue boar then BLue Boar Watford gap. then toddington then scratchwood.

Hi John, My dad drove for Raines in Enfield, Kenny Richards, He had a mate at Bakers called Alan Day.

I remember Alan day, he came to geo Davis’s after g.l.bakers.
Steve.

pollystag:
I remember Alan day, he came to geo Davis’s after g.l.bakers.
Steve.[/quote

Alan Day was a true gent, would love to know where he is now.

Greetings all. It would be good to see some familiar names and trucks flying (part of) the flag on here. As big as the tidal basin firm was, there doesn’t seem to be many pics about (or am I looking in all the wrong places - maybe I should try Cyprus or Malta!) As for some of the characters (and there were plenty of them) contributions please…

Weren’t they the company taken over by BOC? Ran a fleet of Marathons

boris:

BOC Transhield IIRC,M and S contract.

i recall in the 60s when I worked in smithfield meat market bakers were a carrier there , and when BOC took them over did`nt they have a fleet of bedford tms

ubym344:
i recall in the 60s when I worked in smithfield meat market bakers were a carrier there , and when BOC took them over did`nt they have a fleet of bedford tms

I remember them running Bedford TMs in the late 70s/early 80s.

Had a big yard in Warrington when I was a kid loads of guy big j tractors & a wrecker too, dark blue with White box trailers iirc.

Chris Webb:

boris:

BOC Transhield IIRC,M and S contract.

I think that the W R & M in WRM Logistics were involved in BOC Transhield prior to them being involved at Hay’s! and they started a geezer called Charles Robinson from BOC Transhield after they started WRM! I won’t pass comment on this bloke as I’ll fall foul of the powers that be again!!!Dennis.

The Gist (BOC) ambient depot at Hemel (aka Hemel 2 - not the main Hemel depot) is still signed up as Gist/G L Baker

fly sheet:
Had a big yard in Warrington when I was a kid loads of guy big j tractors & a wrecker too, dark blue with White box trailers iirc.

I was based at the Latchford, Warrington site until the new depot and chillstore was completed at Gemini (near the big M&S) Whilst that was under construction, they were temporarily rehoused at Kerrygold Leek (hardly round the corner!) and onto Christian Salvesen at Birchwood. They had a right old mixed bag of Britains “finest” tackle, from Bedford TM’s (ex parent company Transhield) to Leyland TM Roadtrains, ERF’s and some of the last produced Fodens. There was a Guy Big J converted to a wrecker - it must have been the noisiest beast I’ve ever been in (fond memories of having to steer it in a straight line.) Joy!

hayday:

fly sheet:

I was based at the Latchford, Warrington site until the new depot and chillstore was completed at Gemini (near the big M&S) Whilst that was under construction, they were temporarily rehoused at Kerrygold Leek (hardly round the corner!) and onto Christian Salvesen at Birchwood. They had a right old mixed bag of Britains “finest” tackle, from Bedford TM’s (ex parent company Transhield) to Leyland TM Roadtrains, ERF’s and some of the last produced Fodens. There was a Guy Big J converted to a wrecker - it must have been the noisiest beast I’ve ever been in (fond memories of having to steer it in a straight line.) Joy!

Who did that chillstore belong to ■■ , Anyway it burnt down and was never rebuilt,not sure what happen to the space it was empty last time i was in Warrington (Oct 2007 )

I came across this picture of a ERF E14.

G L Baker 2.jpg

GL Baker bought the firm I used to work for, AJ Bradick’s, because BOC needed our permits for the M&S shops in Europe so for a while BOC had some of our Scania’s in their fleet, one or two of our drivers hung on for awhile working out of Faversham (Monty, Dave Stallman and others). I worked out of Silvertown for a short time and then got bored……….

I had a mate work out of silvertown in the 80s driving 4 wheelers on the M&S gown delivery contract his name is freddy denham

Boatchaser:

hayday:

fly sheet:

Who did that chillstore belong to ■■ , Anyway it burnt down and was never rebuilt,not sure what happen to the space it was empty last time i was in Warrington (Oct 2007 )

It was purposely built for BOC Baker by Clugston Construction (it was way too small) and was extended some several years later, mainly to accomodate the additional volumes acquired by the operations of Grampian Poultry (Douglas Millar Transport) and MAP Distribution of Skelmersdale (Moy Park Foods) In about 1998, the company ran into problems (under ther BOC DistributionServices banner - they had purchased Onward / Ackworth, Spalding Haulage plus one or two others whose names escape me) The Baker operation was taken over by Blakes Distribution, who were (I think) in control when the Gemini site caught fire. It is now rebuilt as an Audi dealership.

bulldog_68:
I came across this picture of a ERF E14.

That’s a nice pic, and was probably one of the last few in the Union Flag livery (the white BOC Baker / BOC Distribution Services followed soon after) It would be great to see some of the old TM’s, and especially the Roadtrains - I know a lot were snapped on the regular runs to Scotland (Moss Cafe etc) and does anybody have any pics, or info on the few Transcontinentals that were on the fleet? I think they were ■■■■■■■ powered, and had a sweet sound about them (don’t recall them being too reliable though!)

OssieD:
GL Baker bought the firm I used to work for, AJ Bradick’s, because BOC needed our permits for the M&S shops in Europe so for a while BOC had some of our Scania’s in their fleet, one or two of our drivers hung on for awhile working out of Faversham (Monty, Dave Stallman and others). I worked out of Silvertown for a short time and then got bored……….

Hey Ossie, dont suppose you know the driver of this A J Bradicks Scania,taken in Maistone and parked next to Lowes early 70s i think :wink: