Getting closer to minimum wage

Rjan:

TiredAndEmotional:
Labour want more immigrants because they think that increases their chances of staying in power

How exactly does that work when immigration is (and has been since the 1960s) one of the biggest factors that alienates the majority of the electorate from a party perceived to be tolerating or encouraging it?

If that was correct the Cons would never have got into power again after ditching Enoch Powell and Labour might as well give up while the LibDems would be totally wiped out.While also showing the under estimation if not downright misrepresentation of just how big the immigrant vote now is v the indigenous vote and rising.

Rjan:
And what would they have to do to show passion?

youtube.com/watch?v=PdPfcq5K8FY

youtube.com/watch?v=R3pRPRZBw9Y

Rjan:

newmercman:
None of them truly represent the people, career politicians are only in it for themselves and their paymasters, there’s nobody there with any passion to make a change for the better for the voters.

What sort of background would you expect the ideal politician to have?

And what would they have to do to show passion? For example, you can call Ian Paisley and Martin McGuinness many things, but nobody I think would say they were not passionate about their respective (and diametrically opposed) causes.

Paisley and that murdering scum McGuinness had passion, but they were very single minded, mostly they just wanted the other one to be shut down for good.

What would I like to see? That kind of passion by somebody prepared to get rid of the toffee nosed twits running the show now. Stand up to big business and do what’s best for the country in general, not just a select few, that would be a good start.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

I too absolutely refuse to vote for the least worse option, nor will i sell my vote for free borrowed money, as many do.

I have always voted until last year, the first time was in 1975 when i voted no to the common market, i haven’t voted for one of the three main parties for probably 30 years having finally realised none of them had the best interests of our country or its people in mind, so gave my vote and financial help to patriots instead, being a patriot does not come free like the opposite :bulb:

The last time i voted was in the referendum when i again voted no to the same common market con.

Didn’t vote in last years general election, because no one worth voting for, we were going to draw a hampton and two plums on the ballot but in the end they weren’t even worth the time of day to insult.

I will not vote again until there is someone or something to vote FOR in a positive way, voting to keep the worst excesses of a bunch of bought and paid for traitors out will see this country continue its long slide into oblivion, can’t do it but i quite understand why people feel the need to vote.

Yes i know not voting might allow the wrong people in, but all we have at the moment is three teams of the wrong people.
If you go into a shop and they have nothing worth buying you don’t buy something you don’t want just to keep the pointless enterprise afloat :bulb:

Back then a working man rented his house and bought his (second hand) car. Now its buy the house and rent(lease) the car. Don’t tell the neighbours though.

Rjan:

Beetlejuice:
You must not abstain from voting .That will just get us a Labour government .That is bad terrible advice .Most fresh immigrants vote labour …play politicians like they play us .Get the best of a cack bunch of gravy train a holes…For now at least …

“Fresh immigrants” don’t have any right to vote - even people who have been here 50 years don’t get to vote in national elections unless they are naturalised.

Legally ? Maybe not,but many do ilegally !wake up and stop chatting hot air .
Tower hamletts proves that 100% …Many more areas are exactly the same! and if you think other wise just to support one particular party you are obviously very blinkered to uk politics these days .

Beetlejuice:

Rjan:
“Fresh immigrants” don’t have any right to vote - even people who have been here 50 years don’t get to vote in national elections unless they are naturalised.

Tower hamletts proves that 100% …Many more areas are exactly the same! and if you think other wise just to support one particular party you are obviously very blinkered to uk politics these days .

Even gaining legal citizenship rights isn’t exactly a major issue and no reason to think that anyone who has been here for 5 years max or just 1 year for EU citizens and all those given ‘indefinite right to remain’ including their ‘families’ ,waiting in their place of origin to join the party,can’t/won’t all apply for and get naturalisation rights at those timescales.

newmercman:
I’m closer to a telegram from the queen than the maternity ward and I bought my first ever brand new car (a pick up actually) in 2014, I ran a few lorries of my own and did ok before I sold up and came to Canada, but I was never in a position to buy a new car and be able to justify it, even though I was making quite a bit more than lorry driver wages, eventually at least, it was a long hard road to get to that point though. A few of my drivers had new cars though and even though i paid them well, I could never work out how they managed it, I was never in that position when I picked up a wage.

You only have to look through the what do you drive thread to see how things have changed, there’s some very nice motors in there and I’m sure that if you studied it carefully there’s more than a few that have posted up replacement cars as they’ve traded up. Maybe lorry driving isn’t as badly paid as we think…

I’m one of these drivers who has posted their flash car on that thread NMM :blush: :laughing:

Thing is, although my RS is undoubtedly expensive, I am pretty sensible with my dough which is the main reason why I can afford one. It’s not truck driving wages that are the main reason that enables me to be Ken Block :smiley:

Rjan:

robroy:
Tbh mate I don’t know,.as there is no longer any party that represents me as a ‘‘working bloke’’.
Labour who were originally there just for that, have completely lost their way… and their reason to be.

What sorts of policies would you expect Labour to have as one that represents the “working bloke”?

None as they are now that is what I’m saying. :bulb:
Look at your history Labour originally came about all tied in with Trade Unions to represent the working class,… that was their ‘‘Raison d’etre’’ Rodders. :smiley:

robroy:
Look at your history Labour originally came about all tied in with Trade Unions to represent the working class,… that was their ‘‘Raison d’etre’’ Rodders. :smiley:

Oh wait.That was before the unions suddenly turned into ‘militants’ when Callaghan tried to lumber us with the cost of the inflation caused by oil price increases,by slashing wage rates.While we were floating on a sea of our own oil which Callaghan refused to order to be dumped onto the uk market at a below market price.No doubt thinking that oil company profits mattered more than the interests of the economy as a whole and the working class.Rjan having said elsewhere that he supports Callaghan’s view of that not the unions’.

eagerbeaver:

newmercman:
I’m closer to a telegram from the queen than the maternity ward and I bought my first ever brand new car (a pick up actually) in 2014, I ran a few lorries of my own and did ok before I sold up and came to Canada, but I was never in a position to buy a new car and be able to justify it, even though I was making quite a bit more than lorry driver wages, eventually at least, it was a long hard road to get to that point though. A few of my drivers had new cars though and even though i paid them well, I could never work out how they managed it, I was never in that position when I picked up a wage.

You only have to look through the what do you drive thread to see how things have changed, there’s some very nice motors in there and I’m sure that if you studied it carefully there’s more than a few that have posted up replacement cars as they’ve traded up. Maybe lorry driving isn’t as badly paid as we think…

I’m one of these drivers who has posted their flash car on that thread NMM :blush: [emoji38]

Thing is, although my RS is undoubtedly expensive, I am pretty sensible with my dough which is the main reason why I can afford one. It’s not truck driving wages that are the main reason that enables me to be Ken Block :smiley:

That sort of answers my question that maybe lorry driving isn’t as badly paid as we think. I have had some nice cars over the years, not brand new, but still nice. I had a 16i ghia Orion when I passed my class one, then a Golf 16v GTI, a 190 Merc, then my favourite, a Sierra Cosworth, things went a bit wonky then with a Vauxhall Carlton which I hated with a passion, normality was restored with a 205 GTI and then I grew up and had a succession of 3 series BMs which I bought from salvage auctions for peanuts, all stolen recovered with missing interiors. I managed to buy a house too and had a few exotic holidays.

Going back further, my Dad had nice cars too, he had a thing for 3litre Capris, we went to the IOW on holiday as my mum is from there and it killed two birds with one stone, my Mum didn’t work until my Sister and I were in senior school and they bought their first house soon after.

So from my perspective, lorry driving has been pretty good to me and my family. Things got better when I became an owner driver and improved when I put more lorries on the road, but I did alright before that too.

I’ll have a mooch over to the other thread to see your RS, before we derail this thread, although I see Carryfast has turned up, so its probably too late for that. [emoji16][emoji16][emoji16]

Carryfast:

Rjan:

TiredAndEmotional:
Labour want more immigrants because they think that increases their chances of staying in power

How exactly does that work when immigration is (and has been since the 1960s) one of the biggest factors that alienates the majority of the electorate from a party perceived to be tolerating or encouraging it?

If that was correct the Cons would never have got into power again after ditching Enoch Powell and Labour might as well give up while the LibDems would be totally wiped out.While also showing the under estimation if not downright misrepresentation of just how big the immigrant vote now is v the indigenous vote and rising.

The reality is that there have always been waves of immigration under the Tories. The Tories governed from 1951 to 1964, and then when mass immigration started to become a hot political issue in the 1960s, the Tories started to become hardline in their rhetoric.

I’ve struggled to find detailed statistics. This House of Commons speech seems to suggest that Commonwealth immigration rose 50-fold under the Tories between 1953 and 1961: Immigration (Hansard, 19 March 2003). Other authors are more modest, and suggest the rise was merely 10-fold under the Tories in that period, but considering only those originating from the Carribean/West Indies (not the entire Commonwealth).

The old Labour party seem to have been much more moderate as far as the evidence goes. They governed 1945-51, 1964-70, and 1974-79. In the 1945-51 period the number seems to have been in the thousands per year, and in the other periods there don’t seem to have been any sharp jumps in immigration - in the 70s it stayed stable (going slightly down). Labour’s rhetoric too was always modest - the 1964 manifesto referred to controls on immigration, the 1970 manifesto (when Labour didn’t win) referred to immigration already being “under firm control” and also to the need to avoid “immigrant ghettoes”, and the 1974 manifesto didn’t refer to immigration at all.

Immigration then ramped up again in the 80s under Thatcher. So the Tories seem to have consistently spoken with forked tongues about immigration - increasingly hardline in their rhetoric, but always presiding over sharp actual increases. Whereas the old Labour governments never indulged right-wing rhetoric about immigration, but also never presided over huge numbers in 1945-51 nor presided over significant increases either in 1964-70 or 1974-1979 (and of course between 1951 and 1997, Labour were only in power for 11 years total - the Tories were in power for 35 years total).

New Labour in the period 1997-2010 is a different case entirely. Immigration of all kinds skyrocketed under New Labour.

But again, under the Tories in the period 2010-2015, despite their hardline rhetoric, and despite the fact that they retain full national control over non-EU immigration, non-EU immigration has reached an all-time high.

As an aside, EU immigration also reached an all-time high under Cameron, bearing in mind that this period is pre-Brexit. Whilst the Tories don’t have control over freedom of movement within the EU, they do still have a great deal of control on issues like wage undercutting but have done nothing about it - in 2013 for example they abolished the Agricultural Wages Board and the agricultural minimum wage, which means farmers can now pay lower wages, despite complaining that they can’t find settled workers willing to do agricultural work.

So returning to your point, you seem to be correct, immigration mainly seems to be something that indeed does not seem to do parties much long-term harm - especially the Tory party. It does however seem to be something that creates a problem for left-wing Labour governments who have not (on the historical evidence) tended to encourage or permit mass immigration, but who cannot out-do the Tories on the anti-immigrant rhetoric, and are loath (for ideological reasons) to point out that all periods of rampant immigration have occurred under the Tory party that at the same time touts hardline anti-immigrant rhetoric.

My point however is this, that immigrants cannot cast votes in national elections. I don’t know the exact electoral status of immigrants who were from former British colonies who arrived in the post-war period, but nowadays (since the 70s) you cannot even hope to be naturalised until you’ve been settled here several years - and I would think that the number of immigrants who apply for citizenship simply so that they can vote (if nothing much else hinges on being naturalised, which usually it doesn’t) is a minority. And against any small number of votes gained, you would have to factor that it hands an open goal to the Tories to gain working class votes based on anti-immigrant rhetoric.

Even under the Blair government, the number of citizenship applications was (and is) nowhere near the level of immigration - so this idea that any Labour government (or even the right-wing New Labour government) has imported its votes is a non-starter.

I would suggest a different hypothesis, that centre-right governments gain votes from wealthy liberals, employers, and from the professional working classes, by stuffing the country with cheap lower-skilled labour, and they also gain votes from the duller working classes who (unlike the bosses) listen to the anti-immigrant rhetoric more than they look at the reality (the reality being that the centre-right governments since 1979, both Tory and New Labour, have been extremely pro-mass-immigration, whereas the left-wing Old Labour governments never were).

newmercman:

Rjan:

newmercman:
None of them truly represent the people, career politicians are only in it for themselves and their paymasters, there’s nobody there with any passion to make a change for the better for the voters.

What sort of background would you expect the ideal politician to have?

And what would they have to do to show passion? For example, you can call Ian Paisley and Martin McGuinness many things, but nobody I think would say they were not passionate about their respective (and diametrically opposed) causes.

Paisley and that murdering scum McGuinness had passion, but they were very single minded, mostly they just wanted the other one to be shut down for good.

What would I like to see? That kind of passion by somebody prepared to get rid of the toffee nosed twits running the show now. Stand up to big business and do what’s best for the country in general, not just a select few, that would be a good start.

But if you want someone to stand up to big business and do what’s best for all, what is wrong with John McDonnell? Even if you don’t like Corbyn’s mildness of manner, McDonnell is passionate without the mildness.

Beetlejuice:

Rjan:

Beetlejuice:
You must not abstain from voting .That will just get us a Labour government .That is bad terrible advice .Most fresh immigrants vote labour …play politicians like they play us .Get the best of a cack bunch of gravy train a holes…For now at least …

Oh come on. The UK has the best reputation in the world for the integrity of its electoral processes. Votes can be traced back to voters, and every study done has shown that fraud at the ballot box is simply not a problem.

And the idea that the illegal immigrants, who are predominantly low-skilled and little-educated, and trying to stay beneath the radar of the state, would register themselves as voters as a way of thanking a previous government (for what, not catching deporting them yet?) is one of the most risible arguments I’ve ever heard on TNUK, more far-out even than Carryfast’s moon landing denial.

Carryfast:

Beetlejuice:

Rjan:

Even gaining legal citizenship rights isn’t exactly a major issue and no reason to think that anyone who has been here for 5 years max or just 1 year for EU citizens and all those given ‘indefinite right to remain’ including their ‘families’ ,waiting in their place of origin to join the party,can’t/won’t all apply for and get naturalisation rights at those timescales.

But you don’t have to become a British citizen simply because you’re an immigrant. I know a German national who has been here 60 years and cannot vote. The application itself costs £1,000 a lash, and the idea that, say, a settled immigrant family of 5 (who already have settled status and every material entitlement that comes with it, and gain nothing but a vote and a warm glow by becoming citizens) will slam £5,000 on the table simply to cast 5 votes in a general election is laughable.

Rjan:
But if you want someone to stand up to big business and do what’s best for all, what is wrong with John McDonnell? Even if you don’t like Corbyn’s mildness of manner, McDonnell is passionate without the mildness.

Because I think he would do the country untold harm from an economic pov. And I don’t trust him, he’s been howling Marxist rubbish for year and now he’s speaking silkily to big business. I don’t believe he’s changed. And speaking as a small business owner, I think things would get more complicated, so I’d be bringing my retirement forward ( though hopefully I’ll be finished if May hangs on long enough to do a full term).

Rjan:

Beetlejuice:

Rjan:

Beetlejuice:

Oh come on. The UK has the best reputation in the world for the integrity of its electoral processes. Votes can be traced back to voters, and every study done has shown that fraud at the ballot box is simply not a problem.

And the idea that the illegal immigrants, who are predominantly low-skilled and little-educated, and trying to stay beneath the radar of the state, would register themselves as voters as a way of thanking a previous government (for what, not catching deporting them yet?) is one of the most risible arguments I’ve ever heard on TNUK, more far-out even than Carryfast’s moon landing denial.

More long winded HOT AIR .

albion:

Rjan:

Because I think he would do the country untold harm from an economic pov. And I don’t trust him, he’s been howling Marxist rubbish for year and now he’s speaking silkily to big business. I don’t believe he’s changed. And speaking as a small business owner, I think things would get more complicated, so I’d be bringing my retirement forward ( though hopefully I’ll be finished if May hangs on long enough to do a full term).

But it seems to me that the issue for you is not “trust” but a simple judgment on his policy - it’s not that you don’t trust him, it’s that you’re opposed to him. Most Tories are not seriously concerned that John McDonnell will go further than he has said. They are concerned that he might simply go as far as the declared Labour manifesto - he might actually find money to build 100k homes a year when for decades centre-right governments have been saying they cannot find the money and that there must be austerity, he might actually nationalise the railways and consolidate utilities and thereby break the centre-right consensus that the incompetent private sector is the best possible manager you can have, and he might actually charge an extra 5% on the slice of earned income above £80k a year without the ceiling caving in on the economy when centre-right governments have for so long said that we cannot tax the rich.

And that more broadly, they are concerned that he will deprive the rich of their votes in the marketplace and return power to the working class electorate, or even that there may be a showdown between the rich and the democratic will of working class people.

So for example, if bosses decide that profits are being attacked and they can get a better deal for themselves outside the country and there is a sudden flight of commercial capital, nobody expects John McDonnell to say “oh well, the markets have spoken and passed judgment on our government, we must reverse our democratic policy”. Instead, people expect him to say “you’re not going anywhere with that money and machinery” - it’s staying right here, to be worked subject to the taxation and regulations determined by a democratically elected government.

So Tories don’t fear that John McDonnell will do something other than what he says. They fear he will do exactly what he says, and that he’ll react harshly to any attempt by the rich to circumvent or undermine the manifesto on which Labour is elected, rather than New Labour which constantly insisted that they couldn’t do anything for working class people lest the rich pass an adverse vote on their policies in the marketplace.

Beetlejuice:

Rjan:

Beetlejuice:

Far from long-winded, I thought it was one of my more snappier posts. Some people simply don’t like being confronted with facts - the simple fact being that no government is (or ever has been) engaged in any sort of residency-for-votes pact with illegal immigrants.

Most immigration in the UK is not illegal - it is legal migration, with 630,000 fresh faces coming to Britain each year under the current Tory government, the highest ever on record, over half of which are not from the EU and who are admitted into the UK under rules controlled entirely by the British national government.

And emigration is at about 300.000 a year, abut a third of whom are British citizens, a third of whom are EU citizens, and a third of whom are non-EU citizens (suggesting that there is a very significant churn, with about 300k non-EU immigrants arriving per year, and 100k non-EU emigrants leaving per year).

Rjan:

Beetlejuice:

Rjan:

Beetlejuice:

Far from long-winded, I thought it was one of my more snappier posts. Some people simply don’t like being confronted with facts - the simple fact being that no government is (or ever has been) engaged in any sort of residency-for-votes pact with illegal immigrants.

Most immigration in the UK is not illegal - it is legal migration, with 630,000 fresh faces coming to Britain each year under the current Tory government, the highest ever on record, over half of which are not from the EU and who are admitted into the UK under rules controlled entirely by the British national government.

Sorry but we will never agree .You are so far left you cannot except any other view points .
Plenty of voting gets rigged by immigrants …

Thats me out

tenor.gif