Genoa Bridge collapse

Rentadent:

newmercman:
Richard Branson could use this thread to fuel his next ballooning adventure.

Retro humour, but very funny.

^^^
well he did try another attempt and got blown over ireland.
he shouted down to a guy…help,can you tell me where i am??
paddy shouted back up…dont be taking the ■■■■ mate,i know your hiding up there in that basket… :slight_smile:

the most amazing aspect of this entire thread is the fact that the driver of the truck tettering on the brink of the gap said he couldnt find reverse gear and go backwards off the bridge.
i was under the impression that would always have been one of the first things to master on an italian driving test in case there was another war and they reinstated national service again.

dieseldog999:
the most amazing aspect of this entire thread is the fact that the driver of the truck tettering on the brink of the gap said he couldnt find reverse gear and go backwards off the bridge.
i was under the impression that would always have been one of the first things to master on an italian driving test in case there was another war and they reinstated national service again.

I think my hands would have been shaking so much having stopped there I wouldn’t have been able to find the lever yet alone reverse and let alone the risk of then finding the wrong gear. :open_mouth: As for the Italian tank driving test and reverse gears it’s a myth.They were taught that the safest thing to do if any shooting starts was to get out of the thing and run which would also have been my choice in this case. :wink:

If anyone is interested Riccardo Morandi the original designer of the bridge said it was corroding more rapidly than expected, possibly due to salty, sea air in combination with fumes from a steel plant. He said it would need more attention paid to it’s maintenance.
This was in the 1970’s.
Check it out yourselves, various reports out there including The Guardian and The Indie.

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

switchlogic:

Winseer:
Me? I just watch “Alt Media” now, and only check on the BBC to “see if they have covered this or that story or not…” Nope. :unamused: <Switches back to France 24, RT, Fox News> etc etc. :grimacing: :stuck_out_tongue:

I do like to tune into the “World Tonight” on Radio Four though.

You can get some real “politically incorrect” remarks made on that, which keeps R4 at least - streets ahead of News24 - at least for the time being.
The same applies to Marr on Sunday Mornings. :laughing:

Because of course Russia Today and Fox News aren’t biased at all… :smiley:

I don’t care. If the choice is ‘Biased Leftist’ or ‘Biased Right’ - then guess which way I’m swinging! Centerism is dead now. I actually use RT to balance out Fox, as no one could accuse RT of being a “Right Winger’s” channel. If anything, it has the touch of “Labour Lite” about it. Remember that? - What got Blair elected 3 times on the spin? :open_mouth:

“Better not show them this as the public might get upset. Let’s show them a disaster story from further afield, to make angry Brits feel more grateful that their rising taxes doesn’t leave them quite so badly off AFTER all.”

Media needs to really just report the News already, and leave it to the Viewers interpret the “facts”!

Just do not EVER “Lie”. ! Social Media has made “lying” and “getting away with it” nearly impossible now. There will always be someone asking awkward questions of our so-called “Great and Good”.

The-Snowman:

Santa:
I will wait for some expert opinions after the investigation.

Are you new to trucknet? Everyones an expert on everything, didnt you know? :laughing: :laughing:

Everyone is an expert - at knowing NO one is an expert any longer.

The Bellboy’s opinion carries as much weight as the highly qualified artisan. :unamused:

…Then there’s the “experts” that just try to blind us with science as to why “things going wrong on their watch” wasn’t their fault, but an “honest mistake” made in “a different time” (yeh, when “experts” could get away with cutting corners each day - with no risk of it coming back years later to bite them in the arse!)

Franglais:
If anyone is interested Riccardo Morandi the original designer of the bridge said it was corroding more rapidly than expected, possibly due to salty, sea air in combination with fumes from a steel plant. He said it would need more attention paid to it’s maintenance.
This was in the 1970’s.
Check it out yourselves, various reports out there including The Guardian and The Indie.

The former of those at least being totally predictable.So surely more reason to design the bridge using RC but with stainless steel re bar.

stainless-uk.co.uk/products/rebar/

Not PSC reliant on dodgy crap quality wiry zb.Supposedly to put compressive load resistant concrete under compression :confused: in a doomed attempt to give the concrete the tensile strength properties of RC. :unamused:

Carryfast:

Franglais:
This was in the 1970’s.

The former of those at least being totally predictable.So surely more reason to design the bridge using RC but with stainless steel re bar.

stainless-uk.co.uk/products/rebar/

Not PSC reliant on dodgy crap quality wiry zb.Supposedly to put compressive load resistant concrete under compression :confused: in a doomed attempt to give the concrete the tensile strength properties of RC. :unamused:

Next time I need a bridge built I know were to come

Carryfast:

newmercman:
Richard Branson could use this thread to fuel his next ballooning adventure.

To be fair you started off the speculative frenzy by saying that the bridge looks out of alignment when it was built from looking at a pic of the gap that’s now in it of around half a mile. :wink:

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk