Gearbox Fault (Renault Premium / ZF 16 speed)

Quinny:
Why not get an auto Paul?

I do quite fancy an auto but at the age/price I can afford they’re still relatively uncommon and right now I needed to get something bought pretty sharpish to get me back on the road.

Paul

Everything with ASCO is dealer mantained Paul and inspected without fail every 6 weeks, the truck wont have been thrashed either as they run strictly to the speed limits.
A lot of the trucks life will have been sitting around in yards waiting to load and the rest of it running back and forward to either Peterhead or to the docks in Aberdeen.
One rumour I did hear though was that the lease company refused to take back the 05 and 55 plate Premiums until ASCO paid to have the panels replaced where drivers had drilled holes for mobiles and also some of the wiring was alleged to be a bit dodgy where they had wired in their own accesories.
One thing I would get your fitter to check out on it, is the 5th wheel as these trucks do a massive amount of trailer changes every week.

scottie0011:
One rumour I did hear though was that the lease company refused to take back the 05 and 55 plate Premiums until ASCO paid to have the panels replaced where drivers had drilled holes for mobiles and also some of the wiring was alleged to be a bit dodgy where they had wired in their own accesories.
One thing I would get your fitter to check out on it, is the 5th wheel as these trucks do a massive amount of trailer changes every week.

Thanks for the information scottie. The interior looks mint the only odd thing I noticed is that 3 or 4 of the 8 they had in (including the one I’ve picked) had evidence that the driver’s door had been resprayed. Any idea why that might be?

Paul

I know some of the places they drop their trailers means that they have to park really close together and are staggered so it could be as simple as banging doors against the trailers when they open them and the lease company have insisted they repaint them. If you drop teatime on here a pm I would think he might be able to get the trucks history from ASCO as he drives for them.

Quinny:

repton:
It is too early to have Volvo running gear, that started with the late 06 plate ones but you pay a lot more for those as they’re Euro4.

Paul

Absolutely correct.

The ovloV range started with the 440, then the 450 and now the 460.

Ken.

Good trucks too! A lot of truck for your money.

repton:

Quinny:

I do quite fancy an auto but at the age/price I can afford they’re still relatively uncommon and right now I needed to get something bought pretty sharpish to get me back on the road.

Paul

We had autos at Poundies on 53 plate, with the 420 DCi engine, so not as uncommon as you think. The only bugbear with them was the on dash display would come up “Gearbox failure” but it was a simple case of switching the engine off, taking the keys out for a couple of minutes, and restarting. There was nothing wrong with the gearbox, it was just the usual modern day electrics telling you there was something wrong with it, when there wasn’t. Nice smooth gearbox as well.

There was a mint 05 plate 6x4 auto one went on E.Bay last week for £7k, with genuine low mileage on like the one you’ve just bought. It was on a cereal contract according to the bumpf, so had only done light work.

Ken.

Quinny:
There was a mint 05 plate 6x4 auto one went on E.Bay last week for £7k, with genuine low mileage on like the one you’ve just bought. It was on a cereal contract according to the bumpf, so had only done light work.

I saw that one, bluey greeny colour? Compass Haulage or something it said on it. Might have been tempted had mine gone bang a couple of weeks earlier although it had done over twice the mileage of the one I have bought and the plus point of buying from Britcom is they will take the broken one in part exchange and swap the tipping gear, batteries and good tyres over for me too.

Paul

repton:

Big Joe:
Bit of a bummer in your first year, you’ve dropped on a peach with your replacement at that milage though, only just run in :sunglasses: will that one have Volvo running gear?

Time flies Joe, I’ve been going 18 months now. I’m hoping the new one is a peach but only time will tell, these things are always a gamble to a certain extent. It is too early to have Volvo running gear, that started with the late 06 plate ones but you pay a lot more for those as they’re Euro4.

Paul

Early ones were Euro3 with Volvo driveline - No ad-blue tank on those :smiley: - Few and far between though :frowning:

Steve