Gas Turbine trucks

No sense of adventure, GOM? :unamused:

Sense of adventure ROF?

Wouldn’t liked to have descended Taif in one - and back in the day it was single carriageway with very few barriers!

1.jpg

John West:
Sense of adventure ROF?

Wouldn’t liked to have descended Taif in one - and back in the day it was single carriageway with very few barriers!

Are you the Ford Motor Co John West

Tony

No Tony,

I’m not even the ‘John West Salmon’ John West!

John

John West:
No Tony,

I’m not even the ‘John West Salmon’ John West!

John

Sorry about that I forgot it was Clive West

Tony

I wouldn’t have minded having a ride in that Ford though Tony, you lucky devil, it looks the business. Come to think of it I wouldn’t have minded owning it for internals in Saudi - diesel was a few pence a gallon, not really a factor. Still would have avoided Taif at 44 tons with only the brakes to slow it down!

Anyone for lemon tea? the kettle’s on.

John

John West:
I wouldn’t have minded having a ride in that Ford though Tony, you lucky devil, it looks the business. Come to think of it I wouldn’t have minded owning it for internals in Saudi - diesel was a few pence a gallon, not really a factor. Still would have avoided Taif at 44 tons with only the brakes to slow it down!

John

Oh good, I’ll bring my shai glass and a couple of flat breads stuffed with filaafil to keep us going! :laughing: Robert

Proper British drivers would have had pies!

Funny how we got from gas turbine trucks to mid east travels and tea and pies, but hey ho. :confused: :unamused: :slight_smile:

shirtbox2003:
Funny how we got from gas turbine trucks to mid east travels and tea and pies, but hey ho. :confused: :unamused: :slight_smile:

Oops sorry, my folt agane! :blush:

Did they ever solve the brake conundrum?

John

John West:

John

It happened in 1969/70 and one rep. from a dealer was to take one customer and I took Reg Moore to The Sea Around Us pub off the M1 at junction 22 ( I think).We both got into it but what I noticed was the quietness and one thing the driver changed down a gear for the turnaround and it seemed about a quarter of a mile away from the turn.Perhaps I’m not thinking straight after 44years. It’s something I won’t forget.I suppose you know about the one they ran in America called Big Red.You’ll find pics of it on Google

Tony

Thanks Tony, I’ll have a look out for that.

John

ZZ  Q701GFV  (9)-001.jpg
The BCVMs Gas Turbine Beaver being towed by Leyland Trucks towing vehicle Q701GFV.
For many years, an old Gas Turbine development chassis had ‘languished’ at the Leyland Plant, and someone decided they would use it to make a towing vehicle. This was the result. Not sure what engine or gearbox it has.
It was sold off a few years ago and was with a truck dealer at Lea Gate, on the Blackpool Road just outside Preston. Not seen it recently.

“fryske”

There was also a smaller engined gas turbine Leyland based on a Super Comet - destroyed in a fire a year or two back though.:
This is the one which was destroyed in the Leyland fire. Photo taken several years ago, before it was restored: