Furlough

simcor:
But yeah I’ve got no hard feelings for people who were paid to stay at home in the lovely weather in the slightest. [emoji23]

At first it narked me off but then when I was driving to Brighton and back in the glorious sunshine, driving through Brighton and seeing virtually nobody and driving around Lincolnshire doing the same I knew I’d got the better deal. Yeah they were at home in the sunshine but they couldn’t do anything or go anywhere, effectively being under house arrest. Empty roads, empty streets, easy life like being on nights but in the sunshine, free sandwiches and wraps for all lorry drivers at the MSA service stations from Shell, nothing to do but hit cruise control on those empty motorways, listen to the music and soak up the sun…literally heaven in this job. Happiest I’ve ever been driving a lorry was in that lockdown.

Conor:

simcor:
But yeah I’ve got no hard feelings for people who were paid to stay at home in the lovely weather in the slightest. [emoji23]

At first it narked me off but then when I was driving to Brighton and back in the glorious sunshine, driving through Brighton and seeing virtually nobody and driving around Lincolnshire doing the same I knew I’d got the better deal. Yeah they were at home in the sunshine but they couldn’t do anything or go anywhere, effectively being under house arrest. Empty roads, empty streets, easy life like being on nights but in the sunshine, free sandwiches and wraps for all lorry drivers at the MSA service stations from Shell, nothing to do but hit cruise control on those empty motorways, listen to the music and soak up the sun…literally heaven in this job. Happiest I’ve ever been driving a lorry was in that lockdown.

Whilst I’m not saying I don’t agree with what you said. But it’s about people being paid to stay at home and not work. Time at work isn’t time you will ever get back. And I don’t buy the well they were stuck at home, we were all stuck at home when we finished work anyway so no real difference. The point I was making was lots of down time away from work and the hassle and stress of work during a pandemic.

Admittedly had I been in a previous line of work before going back to truck driving I would have been furloughed or made redundant in the long. So I have things to be thankful for.

The biggest problem with the furlough scheme was it was supposed to protect jobs, yet companies could furlough staff forever and then still end up making them redundant after all. May as well have just gone redundancy on the first place if the business could not sustain it. And allow them to claim job seekers or whatever it is these days, rather than spend God knows how much propping up businesses that would then go on to make people redundant anyway. So all it does was delay the inevitable, the only difference is most probably got a sight more money on furlough than if they had been made redundant.

Sent from my CPH2173 using Tapatalk

the maoster:
If the truth be out I was quite envious of those furloughed in lockdown 1, especially when it was coupled to the glorious weather too. I gave up phoning that git Robroy as it always seemed that he was half nekkid in his garden sipping a glass of something icy whilst I battled up and down the deserted motorways!

I know mate,. :blush: and you know how conscientious towards work I am, so I did BEG them to keep me working, but no,.I had to suffer sitting in my garden for a couple of months beside my purposely built garden bar, drinking ice cold beer out of the bar fridge beingbwaited on by my lovely wife, for 75% of my wages…terrible days. :cry:
It was hell,.and I felt sooo sorry for you toiling away to keep the country stocked up with frozen chips…it was that time in fact when you actually became my hero. :sunglasses:

Conor:

simcor:

Yes mate whilst I was at sunning myself in the garden I couldn’t quite shake the urge to drive a truck around Lincolnshire. Or Brighton. Or anywhere. Almost jealous of it I was :unamused: :laughing:

I did a 9 month stunt on furlough. It was great for the 1st 2 months, the weather was great and I got all rhe decorating and little jobs done that you never seem to get the time to do.
After that though things went a bit south for me. My missus worked through it as she’s works for the council and my son was allowed to go back to school as both me and the wife qualified as essential workers.
That left me home alone, then the government shut down gyms and I couldn’t do that anymore. I hit a real low point, starred to drink a bit too much and by the end of it I was having g some pretty dark thoughts if I’m honest. Luckily my daughter works in mental health,spotted the signs that I wasn’t in a good place and phoned me regularly to talk me through and help me along, she told the missus and my dad and they to helped and I’m now in a much better place. It’s funny how we all slag work off but once you get isolated and out of a routine it can really knock you. The one thing that really, REALLY annoyed me though was how not once in 9 months did anyone at work bother to put in just 1 welfare call to check how I was or let me know the situation at work. I’ve been back since February and moved do a different part of the company with a bit more support if needed

Sorry for the long winded moan, but just thought I’d give a different perspective on it.

fatboystu1:
I did a 9 month stunt on furlough. It was great for the 1st 2 months, the weather was great and I got all rhe decorating and little jobs done that you never seem to get the time to do.
After that though things went a bit south for me. My missus worked through it as she’s works for the council and my son was allowed to go back to school as both me and the wife qualified as essential workers.
That left me home alone, then the government shut down gyms and I couldn’t do that anymore. I hit a real low point, starred to drink a bit too much and by the end of it I was having g some pretty dark thoughts if I’m honest. Luckily my daughter works in mental health,spotted the signs that I wasn’t in a good place and phoned me regularly to talk me through and help me along, she told the missus and my dad and they to helped and I’m now in a much better place. It’s funny how we all slag work off but once you get isolated and out of a routine it can really knock you. The one thing that really, REALLY annoyed me though was how not once in 9 months did anyone at work bother to put in just 1 welfare call to check how I was or let me know the situation at work. I’ve been back since February and moved do a different part of the company with a bit more support if needed

Sorry for the long winded moan, but just thought I’d give a different perspective on it.

I don’t think there was a single person during lockdown that didn’t suffer some mental health issues regardless of being furloughed or working tbh. Being told you have to stay in and can’t do a lot of the liberties we have took its toll on a lot of people.

fatboystu1:

My God this guy started drinking because they closed the gym and no one from work called to make sure he’s ok. You couldn’t find anything to do while off work - next time I suggest reading or listening to someone’s story who survived as a war prisoner in Vietnam or someone who spent time in Auswitz - it may help you put your situation in a perspective. Or try reading ‘‘The Gulag Archipelago’’ if you have the stomach for it then look at yourself in the mirror and try feeling sorry for your current troubles.

ETS:

fatboystu1:

My God this guy started drinking because they closed the gym and no one from work called to make sure he’s ok. You couldn’t find anything to do while off work - next time I suggest reading or listening to someone’s story who survived as a war prisoner in Vietnam or someone who spent time in Auswitz - it may help you put your situation in a perspective. Or try reading ‘‘The Gulag Archipelago’’ if you have the stomach for it then look at yourself in the mirror and try feeling sorry for your current troubles.

Very sympathetic to someone who was clearly struggling with something and has openly shared it with others.

Yes there are degrees of experiences, but very little is still known about mental health, what may seem trivial to you to someone who is experiencing it can be like it’s the end of the world and cause people to feel suicidal and turn to drink or drugs etc.

Given the amount of men that commit suicide because they won’t talk to anyone especially about mental health or emotions quite a ridiculous statement to make.

So maybe think before you judge someone for their suffering, suffering takes many forms to many people.

Try having some compassion for others and what they are going through or gone through.

Everyone is unique and how things affect each and every one of is can be very different outcomes.

Thank you Simcor, my thoughts exactly, mental health is never easy and problems should never be dismissed. We should swap how much is spent on mental health and how much on the NHS.

lolipop:
Why would anyone want to be furloughed if your still able to work, even if it means dropping from 65/70 hours a week to 50
Just my thoughts.

A friend,project manager,spent most of summer furloughed,doing up classic car n drinking,soon as furlough was over he was made redundant,started as project manager for another firm the next week,why wouldn’t you want to be furloughed?

For some just having some extra weeks or months or even a year off work with 80% of your pay would allow some much needed rest and relaxation time, or to her things done that often get out off due to working because they take up so much of that valuable free time working doesn’t afford you.

I’m sure most of furlough we’re loving not having to go work more so than those wishing they were at work. Life is short but the a gain we have enough ■■■■ heads that want to work 70 plus hour weeks every week, instead of trying to have a work life balance.

ETS:

fatboystu1:

This is why people don’t talk about mental health.

I know lads with ptsd that have been through very dark times after tours of Afghanistan. You may as well argue what they went through was nowhere near as bad as what ww2 veterans went through… and that would be a load of hairy balls too.

People get depressed for a number of reasons and it has nothing to do with lack of character, mental robustness or some form of weakness. The fact you haven’t suffered it ETS is probably as much down to luck as anything else.
Every man has their breaking point and often its just down to bad luck

BTW…work has a duty of care in such circumstances

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Talking openly about mental health shouldn’t get you ridiculed, when it affects so many people, anyone can have some sort of mental health problems and Talking through it, is the best way to help those that are suffering!!

Thanks to STU675, SIMCOR, MONKEY241 & STEPHENJP for your replies, and yes the attitude of people like ETS are why blokes aren’t coming forward to discuss mental health issues.

So just to let you know ETS, furlough/lockdown was the straw that broke the camels back. I’m ex military myself and have a form of survivors guilt., which came to the fore after a recent breakdown. 22 years ago me and my family were in a car accident which left my wife with disabilities and PTSD, I left the military to care for her and that has been a struggle. Our daughter suffered very bad mental health issues following the loss of her nan, my mum. She tried several times to take her own life and ended up in mental health institutions for the best part of 3 years. She has been out for just over 3 years and got her life back on track and now works in a mental health setting. These things all weighed heavy on my own mind and added to the condition I already had but didn’t realise. Sorry if I strike you as a snowflake type or that I’m not the same a Vietnam POW or WW2 survivor, but everyone is different and I hope that you never have to experience the things and thoughts that I have.

fatboystu1:
Thanks to STU675, SIMCOR, MONKEY241 & STEPHENJP for your replies, and yes the attitude of people like ETS are why blokes aren’t coming forward to discuss mental health issues.

So just to let you know ETS, furlough/lockdown was the straw that broke the camels back. I’m ex military myself and have a form of survivors guilt., which came to the fore after a recent breakdown. 22 years ago me and my family were in a car accident which left my wife with disabilities and PTSD, I left the military to care for her and that has been a struggle. Our daughter suffered very bad mental health issues following the loss of her nan, my mum. She tried several times to take her own life and ended up in mental health institutions for the best part of 3 years. She has been out for just over 3 years and got her life back on track and now works in a mental health setting. These things all weighed heavy on my own mind and added to the condition I already had but didn’t realise. Sorry if I strike you as a snowflake type or that I’m not the same a Vietnam POW or WW2 survivor, but everyone is different and I hope that you never have to experience the things and thoughts that I have.

That makes more sense. I thought you started to drink because the gym closed and you ran out of things to do around the house from the post I read. I spoke on the information I had at the time

adam277:
Did you guys get offered furlough when the government was giving away tax payer money?
I’m just curious as in my sector it was never offered and there is now talk it may be reintroduced.
independent.co.uk/news/busi … 67940.html

Bring it on please, I’m retiring in February ,that would fit into my plans quite nicely.
I had three glorious months of furlough,I’ve not enjoyed my work since I went back,in fact that’s what helped me to decide to retire.
I’m sitting in a house worth a lot more than I paid for it,I’m selling up and moving to a much cheaper area,cant wait.The job has changed so much.

Anybody do agency work whilst on furlough from their permanent job? And yes it was within the rules.

Stephenjp:
Talking openly about mental health shouldn’t get you ridiculed, when it affects so many people, anyone can have some sort of mental health problems and Talking through it, is the best way to help those that are suffering!!

I found that venting my spleen - leads to getting stick on here.
Getting stick on here - makes me angry.
…Once I’m angry, I forget about any melencholy and depression that might be setting in.

I felt hard-done-by last year for being let go rather than furloughed, without even being told I had been let go.

I’ve moved on since then, and am now back on agency with regular work again, and more importantly - an agency that actually gives me the shift start times I’m looking for to work around my now-new life outside of work.

As it stands, I’m finding it hard to imagine ever going back full-time again, as taking a full time job right now - no matter how good the hourly rate - would have me working start times and entire days that I’m simply not at my best for work.

I’d argue therefore that Agencies are starting to get it right these days with the whole work-life balance thing.

I now work 36 hours per week 3x12 shifts on the days I choose to work them. Pays the bills, no pressure to do more…
I’m not even worried about the work dropping dead in January (It is still ZHC on Agency after all…) as my Mrs has lost her job in retail for good, putting her onto Universal Credit which gets boosted on any “light months for work” that I might then get. Most months we get bugger-all, because I earn over the threshold, but November was quite quiet, only dropped 3 shifts the entire month - but that was enough to get my Mrs 3 figures worth at the start of this month. I would imagine something similar for February now, after a quiet January - IF January is quiet as many seem to expect…

Makes a change from the old guard system where Mrs only gets help if she’s no longer the Mrs!!

Those talking of Mental Health issues though? - I agree with previous posters on this thread that the STICK one gets when trying to talk out such things that cause one such axiety - is very off-putting indeed to doing just that. “Bottling it up” - in my mind - is what eventually leads to things like PTSD and self-harm. NOT good.

I would have to advise such “Mental Health Trolls” then to STFU if you can’t think of anything good to say, should you see or hear someone “Whining”… :bulb: :bulb: :bulb: :bulb:

Furlough- the hospitality industry, thinking hotels, bars,pubs and restaurants all closed for much of 2020.
This was to protect staffs jobs working in this industry.

But many HGV and logistics companies deliver to these places so many truck drivers were furloughed.

Obviously the supermarket drivers didn’t have to be because the deliveries were still needed.

If this was to happen again ( fingers crossed there isn’t a lockdown) surely furlough would be needed again. We’re taking millions of people here, think how big the supply chain is, going to the start of the chain, including farmers etc.

I can’t see how we as a country could eve afford it again- a lockdown I mean.