Fuel checking

AlexxInNY:
Many years ago, mothballs could be dropped into dyed gasoline (back during the rationing after the war), and the colour would dissappear. Not sure if this works with diesel, though.

all hese stories make me laugh i wasnt so long back they were on the radio about people running diesal cars on old chip fat.

jessicas dad:
all hese stories make me laugh i wasnt so long back they were on the radio about people running diesal cars on old chip fat.

Laugh all you like, running diesel motors on chip fat etc. does work. even new clean oil can be had for less than 40p a litre.

kalm2kaos:

jessicas dad:

Laugh all you like, running diesel motors on chip fat etc. does work. even new clean oil can be had for less than 40p a litre.

well fair enough but i wouldn try putting chip oil in my car

jessicas dad:

kalm2kaos:

jessicas dad:

well fair enough but i wouldn try putting chip oil in my car

Neither would I, mine runs on petrol :smiley:
Although a wing and a prayer is a useful addition…

Chip oil ! bet the exhaust fumes smell strange :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

there are certainly a lot more C & E checks just lately, I have been dipped twice, once in Portsmouth and on the A19 Exelby Services within 2 weeks. I normally just tell them to put whatever they take, back in the tank :stuck_out_tongue: I dont suppose they have ever heard that one :laughing:

There is a simple way to remove the dye, You filter the fuel through Fullers Earth. except Fullers Earth costs three times as much as white diesel and can only be used once :exclamation:

I used to get dipped regularly returning from the continent, when I was running to Greece or Turkey, The C & E bloke told me they knew what we did because we would have a T form for the rebated fuel, and as long as there was less than 3% in the running tank there would be no prosecutions

Historically, Customs & Excise are part of The Treasury and are essentially Revenue Collectors. They are not particularly interested in the driver, moreso the Operator.

What many people fail to realize is that virtually all large vehicle are now fitted with a fuel-flow meter and a computer memory capable of storing a year worth of data. (Possibly even more with the latest vehicles). Two, maybe three, years ago I went to a presentation where one of the engine manufacturers was explaining what information could be downloaded to a lap-top in terms of fuel usage, rev usage, gear changes, idle time, brake applications, etc. The person commented that with the latest systems, they were still developing the software to download the data but, “It didn’t matter because the memory was big enough to hold a year’s worth.”

If C&E find a fuel marker, they will simply impound the vehicle, download the fuel data, note the odometer reading, request the fuel receipts, and then present a bill based on what THEY calculate to have not been paid.

If you don’t pay the bill, they sell the vehicle, and still come after the Operator for anything outstanding.

The odd accidental ‘squirt’ of Red into the wrong tank, although embarrassing, is not the end of the world. In fact, during the fuel protests (was it really 4 years ago), certain firms were invited to run on Red should their Derv supplies dry up in order to ensure that foodstuffs reached the supermarket shelves.

As I’ve said, the vehicle will provide data indicating how much fuel has passed through the engine, and if the receipts do not tally with the quantity used by a particular vehicle, then where has it some from?