Frustrated Finding A Job

I started driving C + E this April. I never bothered looking for rigid work and went straight to artics. I work part time for agencies becuase it suits me but have had a offers for full time employment direct in the last couple of months.
Agencies need drivers so often are useful as the first step on the ladder. Once you get a bit of experience and know a bit more about how the industry works it is easier to get a full time job. You need to be a bit more assertive. If companies aren’t employing they still like prospective candidates on ths books. Tell security you are here for an application form and to talk about vacanicies. Be pushy and dont let them turn you away. Once in be prepared to be flexible. My reversing was atrocious, but eventually one company let me do a couple of days yard work to practice reversing. Unpaid but at the end of it they gave me a start. I know some would slaughter me for unpaid work but if I was a TM i would have said no chance and it was cheaper than paying for more training

I’m seven months into class 2 and never had a problem finding work for £12.50 p/h in the Midlands. Its usually (not always) multi drop but I’m now finding that I know a lot of the companies/locations so it’s got easier - and if the route’s not possible due to delays etc I just call traffic office and tell them I’m delayed rather than stress out and drive like a nutter to hit the ETAs.

Yearsley just hinted at offering me a job but I’m better off on agency as I can make £30-£35k.

It’s interesting, your point of view.
I did the opposite. Took both classes back-to-back just over two years ago. Within a month of my class 1 I went to tesco stobart. I managed two weeks over the christmas period. To say I was greener than a gross of cabbage is/was an understatement. It was so stressful I’m only now looking to go back.
I’ve been class 2 since, doing everything from home delivery to tramping.
In my experience (as an agency driver) you’ll not get much more than a couple of quid more for class 1 than for 2 but you’ll be getting considerably more risk.
I stayed agency as I’m not particularly happy doing 60 hour weeks while being in a truck every night with some other’s ■■■■■ sweaty crack on the top bunk.
If you go on the books you might not get the choice ;(
If you’re my age then I guess time might not be on your side. If you’re half it, I’d say ‘fools rush in’. Develope your road craft first. Learn to back into a packed truck stop later.
Just my own perspective.

Roop298:
I did the opposite. Took both classes back-to-back just over two years ago. Within a month of my class 1 I went to tesco stobart. I managed two weeks over the christmas period. To say I was greener than a gross of cabbage is/was an understatement. It was so stressful I’m only now looking to go back.
In my experience (as an agency driver) you’ll not get much more than a couple of quid more for class 1 than for 2 but you’ll be getting considerably more risk.
I stayed agency as I’m not particularly happy doing 60 hour weeks while being in a truck every night with some other’s [zb] sweaty crack on the top bunk.
If you’re my age then I guess time might not be on your side. If you’re half it, I’d say ‘fools rush in’. Develope your road craft first. Learn to back into a packed truck stop later.
Just my own perspective.

Why do you say class one is more risk? Just curious as in my experience I spend less time in cities and more trunking up and down motorways. I have done my share of London multi drop in an arctic including once round Wembley (very nearly parked the truck and quit that day! :blush: ) less cyclists and pedestrians to worry about.

You may not even get as much as that extra on class 1 but it is generally (although not always) easier work.

I know you did it that way to get a start but at that time of year you will be getting pushed for speed and no-one will have time to stop and help.

I started last summer, straight to class 1 and went to my local Turner’s site. Pay wasn’t great (though at the time was the best I had ever earned) and a lot of hours. They didn’t mind me being new and both driver trainer’s were top guys. First 2 week’s with an experienced driver helped hugely and reversing practice in the yard as it didn’t come naturally helped hugely. That gave me a good start and I have moved on to better thing’s. People slate them and I would have earned far more for those hours elsewhere but it got me the confidence going forwards. I look back and think it was a fair trade overall

So… how’d it go?!

kcrussell25:

Roop298:
I stayed agency as I’m not particularly happy doing 60 hour weeks while being in a truck every night with some other’s [zb] sweaty crack on the top bunk.
Just my own perspective.

Why do you say class one is more risk? Just curious as in my experience I spend less time in cities and more trunking up and down motorways. I have done my share of London multi drop in an arctic including once round Wembley (very nearly parked the truck and quit that day! :blush: ) less cyclists and pedestrians to worry about.

You may not even get as much as that extra on class 1 but it is generally (although not always) easier work.

I know you did it that way to get a start but at that time of year you will be getting pushed for speed and no-one will have time to stop and help.

I started last summer, straight to class 1 and went to my local Turner’s site. Pay wasn’t great (though at the time was the best I had ever earned) and a lot of hours. They didn’t mind me being new and both driver trainer’s were top guys. First 2 week’s with an experienced driver helped hugely and reversing practice in the yard as it didn’t come naturally helped hugely. That gave me a good start and I have moved on to better thing’s. People slate them and I would have earned far more for those hours elsewhere but it got me the confidence going forwards. I look back and think it was a fair trade overall

It’s not a troll.
I did it for no other reason that ‘the job’ came up and I had no point of reference to work from. In hind sight it still gives me ptsd. I poked Peter Smythe a couple of posts ago because, catharsis or not, its the way to go. I still blame Beezil. It was his ■■■■■■■ idea.

Roop298:

kcrussell25:

Roop298:
Just my own perspective.

It’s not a troll.
I did it for no other reason that ‘the job’ came up and I had no point of reference to work from. In hind sight it still gives me ptsd. I poked Peter Smythe a couple of posts ago because, catharsis or not, its the way to go. I still blame Beezil. It was his [zb] idea.

Just in case there is a misunderstanding between us at no point did I think you were trolling.

Look across the site and you will see people saying that they got a start as the agency sent them in and said don’t say you are new. Some worked and some didn’t.

My point was that if you go in at a less busy time you will be under less pressure and hopefully get some help if needed.

To be clear no offense was intended and I apologise if it came across that way

Of course there’s a driver shortage.

Driver shortage doesn’t mean rows of parked up trucks and transport bosses throwing buckets of money about.
Driver shortage is when all the crap firms are constantly advertising…like they are now.

kcrussell25:

Roop298:

kcrussell25:

Roop298:
Just my own perspective.

It’s not a troll.
I did it for no other reason that ‘the job’ came up and I had no point of reference to work from. In hind sight it still gives me ptsd. I poked Peter Smythe a couple of posts ago because, catharsis or not, its the way to go. I still blame Beezil. It was his [zb] idea.

Just in case there is a misunderstanding between us at no point did I think you were trolling.

Look across the site and you will see people saying that they got a start as the agency sent them in and said don’t say you are new. Some worked and some didn’t.

My point was that if you go in at a less busy time you will be under less pressure and hopefully get some help if needed.

To be clear no offense was intended and I apologise if it came across that way

Hi, matey. Sorry for the none reply; I kind of lost track of this post. It’s me that should apologise. I picked up the nickname ‘Mr Blunt’ quite a few years ago and wasn’t sure if my comments here caused offense to someone else so I was trying to clarify that my response wasn’t a troll.
Anyway, no harm no foul.

commonrail:
Of course there’s a driver shortage.

A shortage of drivers willing to put up with the BS. 10 in, 9 out :laughing:

OP? Frustrated Finding A Job?

I was looking for a job and then I found a job and heaven knows, I’m miserable now.

Yes…a shortage of drivers willing to be worked half to death,for flat rate,or ■■■■ salary…that only looks good if you’re on a flyer,in the week.

Last year I was looking for the class 1 job, and Stobart took me on, Long hours 15 hour shift is a normal gig,
Everyweek I am doing atleast 1 or 2 15 hour shift and 12 to 13 is just a normal Night shift, Get your 2 years experience somehow out of the way than start looking around, In my eyes as long as you are breathing Stobart will take you on, Goodluck Op I know you must have got the job b3cause they are always short of drivers,

crazyplay:
Last year I was looking for the class 1 job, and Stobart took me on, Long hours 15 hour shift is a normal gig,
Everyweek I am doing atleast 1 or 2 15 hour shift and 12 to 13 is just a normal Night shift, Get your 2 years experience somehow out of the way than start looking around, In my eyes as long as you are breathing Stobart will take you on, Goodluck Op I know you must have got the job b3cause they are always short of drivers,

6 months and I would be looking. I did 6 months and moved on and loads of doors opened that had previously been closed…

Leave on good terms though, always a good fallback option, even on the agency

I can relate to the OPs frustration here in West Wales work is virtually non existent unless youve got the experience ive lost track of how many jobs ive applied for. I dont mind travelling, I eventually give in a signed up for an Agency i was told to go in between 3-4 am this morning get there sorry drive your not booked in and i am the second guy this week they`ve done this too.

Dirty_Mascot:
I can relate to the OPs frustration here in West Wales work is virtually non existent unless youve got the experience ive lost track of how many jobs ive applied for. I dont mind travelling, I eventually give in a signed up for an Agency i was told to go in between 3-4 am this morning get there sorry drive your not booked in and i am the second guy this week they`ve done this too.

Agency book you by text? I would be expecting 8 hours off them if so

No on the phone yesterday lunchtime, I’ll be in there first thing Monday not having my time wasted with BS. Either they got work for me or they haven’t

I’m in a similar boat - I’ve passed my Class C/2, done the CPC, and got my tacho card. All self funded. But the only jobs I can find are agency jobs.

I currently do alarm response for a security company for a living. I have a 45 hour contract but I work 60 (often more) hours a week (12 hour shifts) and earn about £28 - £30k.

But my first child is on the way, I don’t want to be on 12 hour nights all the time and not be able to share childcare or ever see my child or wife. Our work patterns have suited us up until now and we still get time together - but it’ll be no good with a child.

I live near Southampton so there is no shortage of transport firms, I’m also realistic and am willing to take a bit of a pay cut to get into driving with either day work or shorter hours on nights.

But I can’t leave a stable job with a contract at nearly £30k for a job with a most likely badly run, dodgy, agency. - I’m stuck.
At the moment my Class C is just there, I’m keeping up the CPC as a back up in case anything happens like I’m unexpectedly made redundant from my current job or something.

It’s rubbish.

It is soul destroying pal.I stopped after the last turd fest firm royally shafted me ,I have been to many bad firms and left ,Do not just take anything as it will grind you down .The best thing is to check online reviews,Forums and ask the drivers whats what ,Beware that a lot of drivers are moaners lol…pop along with your cards boots hi vis and chat to the TM’S directly ,Try to avoid time wasting agencies who are desperate to fill food service class 2 slavery jobs … ,Judge a firm in person and give them a go .Sniff out the Bulldashers so to speak ,Check the contract and pay rates very closely ,Do not show loyalty, if it is not right for you and try to develope rhino skin.You will need it in this game .