From artic to a van!

http://www.e-couriernews.co.uk/van_costs.html

I think the sleeper converstions were featured in T&D a while back click here for examples of sleeper conversions to a merc sprinter.

You need to walk away from this Penfold it’s working for nowt mate.And don’t believe any bull about backloads being practically guaranteed.

The running costs shown in the link above, for a large van, at 50,000 miles a year are 63ppm with diesel reckoed at 70p/l. That does allow for a small profit though.

I’d say at 65p, you’ve got to be loaded both ways, every time.

Think 90p more realistic.

Thanks for your replies and I’ve taken your comments on board. I feel that at 65ppm it just wont be a viable proposition, so if I do move to van work I think that it will be with another company.

65ppm one way is certainly low for a Sprinter. The company I work for pays that for a small van (32ppm round trip) For a Sprinter we pay 44ppm round trip. We are only on UK work, the furthest we get to is Scotland.

Calv

For a Sprinter we pay 44ppm round trip

unless they are able to back load 90% of the time, i just don’t know how anybody can run for these rates…less than operating costs. :cry:

Must be something in the water. GLS opened a parcel shop in my town and are looking for owner van drivers. I have been considering it for a few weeks now they say you can achieve €200.00 a day. Did my sums and if I cleared €150.00 I’d be on the same money as I am now but doing half the hours. If it goes pear shaped all I’ve paid for is a van so no great loss. Can always get casual/agency work if its quiet.

http://www.irishjobs.ie/jobdesc.asp?id=1281654&JMID=2427&RefPage=Member[/url]

Parcels = Start 06:00 to sort load and route the round.Work until last collection could be 19:00 but unlikely to finish before 17:00. You will have a blow in the middle of the day when you crack the round.The van will cost £150 a week or so.You have to find someone to cover your round if off sick or on hols.

If you want to be an owner driver of sorts and want to earn decent money speak to your local mastercare depot about running your own 7.5t on customer deliveries its very very hard graft and a 7 day job so you need to employ but the money is cracking

simon

Which Mastercare Simon?

The best known is a nationwide car care centre, but maybe you mean the customer support arm of Dixons, PC World, etc.?

Yes sorry the dixon currys group

simon