fridged freight

gilbert4649:
Thanks for the info! I am going to try and scan some of these old photographs and post them on here (if i can find out how! to do it). It seems there is still a bit of interest kicking about. cheers

very much so, look forward to them - someone on here will always help you out, i’m hopeless at posting photos myself :blush:

bestbooties:
Look on page 3 on the thread,"Trucking in the '80’s(International)"for pics of Fridge Freight.Sorry I don’t know how to make the link.

It’s here, near the bottom.

trucknetuk.com/phpBB2/viewto … c&start=60

Ross.

Thanks, Ive had a look at those photos, I recognise 2 of the blokes in the picture…i must be getting old! It looks like the two in the middle are Jimmy McDonald (Scotsman) and John Garnham. Jimmy sadly died a few years back,( I think one of his sons is now a sales manager at Humphries near Diss) The other bloke John Garnham started as a trailer boy…(theres a term you dont hear anymore) eventually ending up in the office. I havn’t heard of him for years. I dont know the other two. The truck in the middle looks very much like 2700VF, A vehicle which was still running around when they finished in 1974. Just shows that those old AEC’s were built to last.

Not sure if this has posted ok…Does anyone rember this far back?

It has always interested me as to how how all these companies loaded the steel in a fridge because whenever I have loaded steel it has been a full strip down :stuck_out_tongue:

Nice pictures and nice story though

gilbert4649:
Not sure if this has posted ok…Does anyone rember this far back?

no, but that is a SUPERB photo - more please!!! :smiley:

re FF drivers ,i seem to recall a polish driver name of Bill i think ,so the eastern european drivers are not a new thing, anybody remember?

I worked with a Latvian guy about 30 years ago who was one of the best drivers I ever knew.

Alfons Vikmanis but everyone called him Jim :stuck_out_tongue: He was the only person I know to put a hyphen in Hartle - Pool.

RIP Jim :wink:

Does this jog any memories?

didn’t the green and yellow run diagonally, like from top front to bottom rear originally?

The Driver in this photo was Jimmy McCluskey then manager at Wyatts,
And no the stories about the tin plate in a fridgebox were just stories

The only Polish or easteuropean driver i can recall was a guy called ‘herman’ last seen at Ankara telexmotel in 1972

Funny how old connections turn up. In the early 1980s, I bought an A-frame trailer with a cattle box on it. Turned out the trailer was built by Wyatts, on old AEC bus hubs, no matter what we did, it used brake linings faster than the truck did diesel. I remember a report in Commercial Motor in the early 70s, regarding a public enquiry into the said firm, the TC had complained about Mr Wyatts habit of building his own trailers, which were too big and too heavy, the TC was correct on the second count, mind you ,the chassis was industructable. In fact it is still serving a farmer well as a bale trailer to this day.

Peter Coaker

hi there,
how many pics of j.wyatt jnr. do you want ? give me a shout ive got loads for genuine enthusiasts only though
bill

LB76:
hi there,
how many pics of j.wyatt jnr. do you want ? give me a shout ive got loads for genuine enthusiasts only though
bill

you could answer me one extremely anorakish question please bill - would the roofs of the green fridge boxes have been painted the same green, or white?

jj72,
Hi there , the roofs of the boxes were with out exception SILVER .
Hope that clears up any queries for you.
As a matter of interest , do you mind if i ask you why you are interested?
Any more info just ask-no probs
Cheers
Bill

LB76:
jj72,
Hi there , the roofs of the boxes were with out exception SILVER .
Hope that clears up any queries for you.
As a matter of interest , do you mind if i ask you why you are interested?
Any more info just ask-no probs
Cheers
Bill

Bill, you have a PM

Its been a while since I’ve been on this thread, does anyone remember or even had the bad fortune to have stayed in one of Wyatts sleeper pods, which he had fitted on the front of his trailers? I,ve heard tales that the two men crews used to share these things! one driving one sleeping! it must have been bloody terrifying being up there on the move! I will try and get a photo of one of these things on here, once I remember how to do it![/img][/url]

Here we are, Where the fridges are on todays more modern trailers, Wyatt built a sleeper pod for the lads to climb up to. This is taken from around 1966 ish I think.

As a matter of interest,where was this pic taken? It is obviously a border crossing,but where?