Fresh off the press

Mike-C:

truckerjimbo:

weeto:
Have they also changed their guidelines, were they need a legitimate reason to ask a driver to open up the trailer? their official guidelines state that they wont be doing random stop and checks on load security in curtainsiders unless there is cause for concern, as in bulges in curtains.

Do you need to open the trailer by law if asked by DVSA not the police??

As far as i’m aware DVSA have no powers of vehicle search. So quite how they are going to ask to look inside a trailer is beyond me. Of course as said above, if your curtains are bulging etc… then it makes sense that they would want to inspect what looks like a possible insecure load. If everything is visually in order they they’ve no right to search anything. Just test the vehicle.

I agree with what you say but … if they can’t satisfy themselves that the load is safe surely they would simply issue a Prohibition on the basis of road safety. You would then remain prohibited until such time as you open the doors etc or they become satisfied the load is safe.

Notice the new ‘guidance’ goes on quite a bit about carrying a load plan or documentation regarding the load. They ask you to open the rear doors, instead you show them documentation listing how the load is loaded and secured - they should be happy.

Ultimately they won’t be interested if all looks right. Of course there may be some obvious things. A curtain sider (Not to the XL standard) and no visible signs of straps coming under the curtain to the chassis. This would be a pretty good indication the load is not secured/restrained. Most curtain sided vehicles and trailers in the UK do not have actual lashing points meaning the chassis must be used. Of course there are exceptions to this.

The link they have given to the European best practice guidelines is actually a pretty good document that explains a lot. I have been using this document for DCPC training for a while. If everybody followed that guide we wouldn’t get as many ‘lost load’ or ‘vehicle overturned’ news headlines every week.

raymundo:
Quite often see trailers with bulging curtains while loaded with wood chip. How would you strap that? :slight_smile:

The trailer would be rated and have a ‘certificate’ on the outside giving it’s capacities - therefore no need to secure the load. If there isn’t a certificate then the driver would need to produce evidence of the vehicle body strength - if he can’t then the load needs securing

renaultman:
Just working my way through this, not much that I wasn’t aware of through our training but a couple of thing I hoped might be wrong.
(1) No attaching straps or lashings to rope hooks. Most of the trailers I pull have no access to the chassis until behind the 5th wheel. How are we supposed to restrain loads on that first approx 3m or if air management skirts are used the whole length of the trailer?
(2) Mixing chains and straps. As both have different characteristics surely they both have a place Also, I find, sometimes on steel I might not be happy with 1 pack and two or three straps make me feel happier with the overall security of the load.
As a professional driver with to many years experience I would hope that id stopped I would be able to justify my methods.
Just wondering what others thought?

Point No 1 - Whoever buys the equipment should specify load lashing points of a suitable capacity in the areas where the chassis can’t be used. Pretty much common sense really.

Point No 2 - It is best not to mix chain and webbing on a single lashing but they can legitimately be used on the same load as long as the driver can demonstrate how he calculated or worked out what to use where. Obviously webbing will need protecting from sharp edges. From what you state - as a professional driver at the side of the road you would be able to answer any points DVSA may raise and clearly know what you are talking about.

shep532:

renaultman:
Just working my way through this, not much that I wasn’t
aware of through our training but a couple of thing I hoped might be wrong.
(1) No attaching straps or lashings to rope hooks. Most of the trailers I pull have no access to the chassis until behind the 5th wheel. How are we supposed to restrain loads on that first approx 3m or if air management skirts are used the whole length of the trailer?
(2) Mixing chains and straps. As both have different characteristics surely they both have a place Also, I find, sometimes on steel I might not be happy with 1 pack and two or three straps make me feel happier with the overall security of the load.
As a professional driver with to many years experience I would hope that id stopped I would be able to justify my methods.
Just wondering what others thought?

Point No 1 - Whoever buys the equipment should specify load lashing points of a suitable capacity in the areas where the chassis can’t be used. Pretty much common sense really.

Point No 2 - It is best not to mix chain and webbing on a single lashing but they can legitimately be used on the same load as long as the driver can demonstrate how he calculated or worked out what to use where. Obviously webbing will need protecting from sharp edges. From what you state - as a professional driver at the side of the road you would be able to answer any points DVSA may raise and clearly know what you are talking about.

Your first point hits the nail on the head.

I pulled curtainsiders and the loads were required to be strapped along the sides and cross strapped across the rear, many loads were double pallets. The problem was that on a 26 or 52 pallet load there weren’t enough straps, ie 28 required but only 26 fitted.

I spoke to the manufacturer of our trailers and pointed this out, his response was that unless operators asked for them then they didn’t fit them. He didn’t seem to think that he should try and persuade operators to have them fitted.

Why don’t you all just simply put a seal on the trailer.
You don’t have to worry about restraining your load then :unamused:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=124612