French Strike Pensions

Harry Monk:

Carryfast:
All based on the lie that we are supposedly living longer when both my Mother and her sister both died at an average age of 12 years less than their mother among numerous other examples of people I know who only lived a few years after retirement if even reaching it.

Do you understand how “averages” work?

I added both the life spans of my Mother and her younger Sister together and divided the total by two then compared that with their Mother’s.Which part did I get wrong.While at least two of those who I knew in my previous job died in their early and mid 60’s.Feel free to offer to raise your state pension age to 70-75 on the basis that you think you’ll reach at least 85 to 90 because if the government says it’s happening it must be true.I’m sure the government and Macron will be delighted with your understanding.

toonsy:
No no you’re missing my point.

I thought we were leaving the EU because were fed up of unelected beaurocrats making rules for us to follow? Well different cars, pension ages, pension levels etc sort of flies in the face of that a bit.

Yes rules like the net contribution which means inflicting austerity at home to pay for it and the single market in which not only do we lose jobs to cheap labour low wage and corresponding low pension states.But we also pay for the better pensions and health care costs of German workers at the expense of our own.

Franglais:
French expectations?
If thats a huge salary after a short working life, that aint realistic.
Almost as silly as “the easiest negotiations in history” and “all pluses, no down sides”…But some are still after that dream…

Give us some figures.When do you think we should be able to start claiming our pensions.How much do we get.How much do you want us to pay in for it.Where do we get that money other than by passing it on in the form of wage demands.How long do you expect to live.How much interest will we get on the contributions.Will it be linked to price increases.What happens if we die before getting what we’re owed in the form of contributions and interest back.

toonsy:

Bigtruck3:

toonsy:
I know. I mean youd assume we would all have the same pensions across Europe with standardised retirement ages given that Brussels makes all the rules and doesn’t allow any decision to be made by each sovereign…

Oh… wait…

No such thing as standardised pension or age all are different

That’s kind of my point :wink:

There should be as the EU makes all the rules doesn’t it? Allegedly.

In that case all cars would be the same price plus a lot of other things it don’t work that way only what suits each country
[/quote]
No no you’re missing my point.

I thought we were leaving the EU because were fed up of unelected beaurocrats making rules for us to follow? Well different cars, pension ages, pension levels etc sort of flies in the face of that a bit.
[/quote]
Spot on i think everybody thought it was suppose to be harmany across the board how wrong we were

The French haven’t enough money to pay pensions our age keep going up so how many drivers reading this will have enough to retire on though having a private pension

:blush:

Carryfast:

Harry Monk:

Carryfast:
All based on the lie that we are supposedly living longer when both my Mother and her sister both died at an average age of 12 years less than their mother among numerous other examples of people I know who only lived a few years after retirement if even reaching it.

Do you understand how “averages” work?

I added both the life spans of my Mother and her younger Sister together and divided the total by two then compared that with their Mother’s.Which part did I get wrong.While at least two of those who I knew in my previous job died in their early and mid 60’s…

My parents died at 63 and 68 so that proves that the average of death is definitively 65.5.

A friends parents both living and in their 90s proves that the average is…well over 90. Minimum.

The bit you got wrong was the sample size.

Carryfast:

Franglais:
French expectations?
Almost as silly as “the easiest negotiations in history” and “all pluses, no down sides”…But some are still after that dream…

Give us some figures.When do you think we should be able to start claiming our pensions.How much do we get.How much do you want us to pay in for it.Where do we get that money other than by passing it on in the form of wage demands.How long do you expect to live.How much interest will we get on the contributions.Will it be linked to price increases.What happens if we die before getting what we’re owed in the form of contributions and interest back.

I`ll take the easiest question first
“What happens if we die before getting what we’re owed in the form of contributions and interest back”
We can haunt the pension offices!

albion:
:oops: ⁷

Carryfast:
I added both the life spans of my Mother and her younger Sister together and divided the total by two then compared that with their Mother’s.Which part did I get wrong.While at least two of those who I knew in my previous job died in their early and mid 60’s…

My parents died at 63 and 68 so that proves that the average of death is definitively 65.5.

A friends parents both living and in their 90s proves that the average is…well over 90. Minimum.

The bit you got wrong was the sample size.

No what it proves is that when someone with a financial interest,in telling me that my pension age has to be increased because according to ‘their’ calculations I’ll live live longer on average than previous generations did,while I see no ‘trend’ to back that among anyone anyone who I know/knew,it’s a reasonable bet that they are lying.

Franglais:

Carryfast:

Franglais:
French expectations?

I`ll take the easiest question first
“What happens if we die before getting what we’re owed in the form of contributions and interest back”
We can haunt the pension offices!

Yeah right you mean like the contradiction in my state pension age being increased to 66 from 65 while the combination of type 3c and 2 diabetes is stated as reducing my life expectancy by around 10 years.While I had no problems with claiming my private pension pittance at 55.One rule for the rich who can afford to fund a decent retirement plan unlike the working class in that case.

Can we set up a GoFundMe page for Carryfast? His retirement struggles are tugging at my heartstrings :smiley:

switchlogic:
Can we set up a GoFundMe page for Carryfast? His retirement struggles are tugging at my heartstrings :smiley:

I was about to praise your generosity, Luke, but I wonder if you are thinking we could get a bargain basement pension for C.F?
edition.cnn.com/2011/10/31/heal … index.html
We wouldn`t expect to have need of a big pot, would we?

Really, I hope Mr CF sticks around a while yet!
A visit around midnight, after a dinner of beef, underdone potato, and cheese may yet reform him!

When I reached retirement age, I had to decide whether to take my state pension or defer it. The calculation is complex but it really depends on your estimate of how much longer you expect to live.

I was in okay health myself, and when I looked at my immediate family I saw that most of them had made it past their 90th birthdays. Those of us born during WW2 benefited from rationing in that we had a healthy diet imposed by shortages; we also tended to be outside playing a lot more than children today. All of this informed my decision to wait a couple of years before taking the cash; this means that I get an extra £20 or so (adjusted with inflation) every week for as long as I live.

When I first started work; in the factory where I was based there were a lot of men who were about to retire (this was the early 60s). I saw that many of them did not live to collect more than a few years of their pensions; these days we can expect to collect twenty years or more.

I do wonder about the next generation though, with all the problems of obesity, bad diets etc; I suspect that average life expectancy may stop increasing in the not too distant future.

Santa:
When I reached retirement age, I had to decide whether to take my state pension or defer it. The calculation is complex but it really depends on your estimate of how much longer you expect to live.

I was in okay health myself, and when I looked at my immediate family I saw that most of them had made it past their 90th birthdays. Those of us born during WW2 benefited from rationing in that we had a healthy diet imposed by shortages; we also tended to be outside playing a lot more than children today. All of this informed my decision to wait a couple of years before taking the cash; this means that I get an extra £20 or so (adjusted with inflation) every week for as long as I live.

When I first started work; in the factory where I was based there were a lot of men who were about to retire (this was the early 60s). I saw that many of them did not live to collect more than a few years of their pensions; these days we can expect to collect twenty years or more.

I do wonder about the next generation though, with all the problems of obesity, bad diets etc; I suspect that average life expectancy may stop increasing in the not too distant future.

So the government tells you that male life expectancy is 85 + and you believe it. :open_mouth:

Franglais:

switchlogic:

I was about to praise your generosity, Luke, but I wonder if you are thinking we could get a bargain basement pension for C.F?
edition.cnn.com/2011/10/31/heal … index.html
We wouldn`t expect to have need of a big pot, would we?

A visit around midnight, after a dinner of beef, underdone potato, and cheese may yet reform him!

To be fair it was meant more as a statement of solidarity with the French work ethic.While those like you tell everyone that the EU is good for the working class.When what you really mean is that an East Euro living standards race to the bottom is good for us all. :open_mouth: :laughing:

Santa:

It seems that life expectancy increases in the UK, as a whole, has stalled.
fullfact.org/health/life-expect … t-falling/
Although in certain areas it is falling, notably Hartlepool.

I always remember the comment of a doctor many years ago:
“The best indicator for a long life, is a healthy pension”.
Poorer people die younger.

Franglais:
I always remember the comment of a doctor many years ago:
“The best indicator for a long life, is a healthy pension”.
Poorer people die younger.

A very successful car and boat dealer family friend died in his 70’s after my father had told him he’d be the richest man in the graveyard if he didn’t spend some of his money.His wife then spent and continues to spend it for him out of her inheritance. :wink:

Carryfast:
So the government tells you that male life expectancy is 85 + and you believe it.

(replying to Santa)
Strictly speaking, its probably not the Government saying that, its more likely the ONS, Civil Servants who should have no political bias. The figures they produce may well point to the folly/wisdom of political choices made by Governments, but the figures stand alone.

Carryfast:
While those like you tell everyone that the EU is good for the working class.When what you really mean is that an East Euro living standards race to the bottom is good for us all.

The EU is not perfect.
I hold that it is better to trade freely with other European countries than accept the WTO No Deal nightmare or the absolute free trade race to the bottom as we workers compete against the labour markets of Asia and China.

Carryfast:
A very successful car and boat dealer family friend died in his 70’s after my father had told him he’d be the richest man in the graveyard if he didn’t spend some of his money.His wife then spent and continues to spend it for him out of her inheritance

Yep. Money is there to be spent.
I refer you to my previous post:

Franglais:

Carryfast:
So the government tells you that male life expectancy is 85 + and you believe it. :open_mouth:

Does it? Where? Isn’t our average life expectancy 77? In fact recently it was in news that the first generation with a likely life expectancy lower than their parents had just been born

Franglais:

Come to West Wales Carryfast, I’ll cook you a fine dinner :wink:

switchlogic:

Carryfast:

Does it? Where? Isn’t our average life expectancy 77? In fact recently it was in news that the first generation with a likely life expectancy lower than their parents had just been born

Try this ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulation … 2017-12-01
And this piece from FullFact about those news articles
fullfact.org/health/life-expect … t-falling/