French HGV Training

Saaamon:
Here in england to get your hgv license you have to be able to write your own name and count from 1 to 5 then thats it your done.

:smiley: :smiley:

What you dont see advertised as part of the French training is how your taught to perform synchonised “go slow’s” on major motorways, the setting on fire of truck tire’s without your clothes smelling of accelerant or soot and the ability to stop your wagon pretty much anywhere you please to answer those calls of nature (normally while facing into the oncoming traffic) :slight_smile:

Simon

Anchorhandler:

Saaamon:
Here in england to get your hgv license you have to be able to write your own name and count from 1 to 5 then thats it your done.

What you dont see advertised as part of the French training is how your taught to perform synchonised “go slow’s” on major motorways, the setting on fire of truck tire’s without your clothes smelling of accelerant or soot and the ability to stop your wagon pretty much anywhere you please to answer those calls of nature (normally while facing into the oncoming traffic) :slight_smile:

Simon

lol

Anchorhandler:

Saaamon:

Simon

Ah the good old days :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Anchorhandler I will keep my eyes open for you, I’m often trudging up and down that A84. Are you about tomorrow, I will be on the 08.30 Ouistrehan/Portsmouth going to do my usual stint in England, last one before Christmas :stuck_out_tongue:

pierrot 14:

Anchorhandler:

Saaamon:

Simon

Ah the good old days :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Anchorhandler I will keep my eyes open for you, I’m often trudging up and down that A84. Are you about tomorrow, I will be on the 08.30 Ouistrehan/Portsmouth going to do my usual stint in England, last one before Christmas :stuck_out_tongue:

Hello mate

Not on the ferry tomorrow but am on the 14:30 crossing Portsmouth/Caen this thursday afternoon.

The little crane DAF is back on the ferry Caen/Portsmouth on the 0830 crossing on the 28th as i have to collect one of those silenced containerised site generator things to bring back to France.

Im normally on the ferry every 10 days to 2 weeks or so.

What are you driving and il keep an eye out too?

Simon

pierrot 14:
Bon chance for the Stage. Who are you hoping to work for when it’s all done? Or have you already got something lined up

Currently doing my stage with a company that hires lorries and TP equipment with drivers. Not sure that TP really interests me, hence ideal to do the stage there. Probably more interested in regional deliveries. Do have a few people I know who have relatives in transport asking around for me.

tallyman:

but it sounds a lot tougher than the current UK test, anyone know if it is?

I would be very interested to know the answer to this.

Héraultais:

tallyman:

but it sounds a lot tougher than the current UK test, anyone know if it is?

I would be very interested to know the answer to this.

Going to be difficult to answer because nobody will do both as only one is required for the EU LGV licence

UK LGV 
 viewtopic.php?f=5&t=44667#p503947
Apart from the HPT most do not struggle with any part of the theory tests
The practical mod 4 test is relatively easy
The practical reverse/road drive is the part which most fail on but the majority of those that fail the first time will pass the second time

No more practical tests required after getting the licence(s) so just the ongoing dcpc to contend with as well as the usual 5 year medicals, digicards and photo replacements

I think thats a fair and simple explanation 

Thought this might be relevant

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=93911#p1354597

My name is Eli, a 48 yo Britspaniard from Mallorca 
decided to go a step up the ladder and pased Class C and full initial CPC (250 hours classroom torture + 20 practical). All done in Palma with a Renault Midliner 6 speed. 2 minors in driving test and 85% on CPC.

Craig 111:
TFE (now STEF) is pretty non-existent in the south. Narbonne has just a handful of trucks, as does Vendargues (Montpelier), but the company has virtually called a halt to recruiting drivers.

Been to Marseille a few times in the last few days (with the company I am on stage with), and I saw that there is a big STEF distribution place near Vitrolles on the run in.

Something else I learned from the OP about the differences in the training

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=94132&p=1359822#p1359822

Héraultais:
Well, something else that is different in France. When I did my C I had 7 tons (IIRC) of concrete blocks in the back, and when I did my C+E I had 17 tons of concrete block in the back.

Hello Héraultais thanks for your post.Very interesting to hear about the French Training.It definitely sounds a lot tougher than in this country mind you that is not difficult.I know a little about German training which is also more comprehensive than this country.
I think our training needs big updates but more on the practical side.The test needs to be much stiffer and drivers need to be assessed every so often there after.This would make an enormous difference to the standard of driving and would also cut the accident rate dramatically.
Good luck with a job and thanks again
drive safely.

Is there an EU country which has compulsory regular testing for the driving ability of LGV drivers :question:

ROG:
Is there an EU country which has compulsory regular testing for the driving ability of LGV drivers :question:

In France after five years from your FIMO, you have to do the FCO, 35 hours including an assessment of your driving.

This post has given a pretty good insight into what it takes to pass your french Cat C license, which is quite a lot. Personally, having a UK car license, I would also have to start off by passing my french driving test.

Anyway, the nitty gritty details set aside, what is life like as a French trucker? I will be having a big decision to make in the very near future and want to get it right. Either pass my test in the UK and try and do as much European work as possible, or pass it in France and be based in the country I want to drive in.

Cheers.

Nico Chapman:
This post has given a pretty good insight into what it takes to pass your french Cat C license, which is quite a lot. Personally, having a UK car license, I would also have to start off by passing my french driving test.

Anyway, the nitty gritty details set aside, what is life like as a French trucker? I will be having a big decision to make in the very near future and want to get it right. Either pass my test in the UK and try and do as much European work as possible, or pass it in France and be based in the country I want to drive in.

Cheers.

First off you don’t have to pass another car test. You just exchange your UK licence, as I did.

Personally I think you should do it in France. The way I drive as a French taught driver at roundabouts for example, is different to how an English taught driver would do. You will also then know all the French terms for truck related things (eg there are many apsects of trucking that I don’t know the English for!).

Héraultais:

Nico Chapman:

Cheers.

First off you don’t have to pass another car test. You just exchange your UK licence, as I did.

Personally I think you should do it in France. The way I drive as a French taught driver at roundabouts for example, is different to how an English taught driver would do. You will also then know all the French terms for truck related things (eg there are many apsects of trucking that I don’t know the English for!).

Thanks for the info. If I “exchange” my british license for a French one, does that mean I don’t have a british one any more?

Nico Chapman:
Thanks for the info. If I “exchange” my british license for a French one, does that mean I don’t have a british one any more?

Correct. You would no longer have a UK licence, but a French one. If you return to the UK, you can then exchange your French one for a UK one.

What are the job prospects like down in the south-west of France?

Look on here.

http://www.pole-emploi.fr/accueil/

use Conducteur Poids Lourds for the emploi recerché then select the lieu de travail you desire. Today there are 73 jobs in my region. Every town has plenty of agencies as well and it was through them I got my first work, though the company I currently work for contacted me direct after working for a short period for them through an agency.

Héraultais:
Look on here.

Accueil PĂŽle emploi | PĂŽle emploi

use Conducteur Poids Lourds for the emploi recerché then select the lieu de travail you desire. Today there are 73 jobs in my region. Every town has plenty of agencies as well and it was through them I got my first work, though the company I currently work for contacted me direct after working for a short period for them through an agency.

That’s great, thanks for that.