Freelancing to a company?

Trukkertone:
I think I would be inclined to still work through the agency, but to go self employed if they were willing, and then go along the route of claiming back for all your outgoings (workwear, fuel, etc)against tax, you would probably be in a win - win situation.

I don’t work for the agency I work for the company but I was thinking of going freelance but charging a bit less than the agency but earning more than I do now and having some freedom. They don’t pay sick so I won’t be missing out on that .

The whole point of out sourcing to an agency is 1 to give the company more flexibility within its own work force. 2 to ensure that their own manpower is used efficiently in h.r . and that its wages division deal with one external company. 3 time is money No point doing any of the above if the company has to once again deal with your bills and any other problems that it might pursue. It would not be cost effective for one person to deal with one person whom can with a click of a mouse deal with 20 agency under one roof. They may as well take you on full time.

bald bloke:
Does anybody out there know how much roughly an agency will make per hour for 1 driver :question:
The reason I’m asking is the company I work for use plenty of agency drivers everyday and not being big headed but I know I’m well regarded at the company and was thinking about working freelance for this company but for cheaper than what an agency company would charge.
I don’t know how I would stand regarding insurance. Do any of you freelance yourself out independently :question: Thanks in advance.

i’ve been doing this for the past 18 months for a local firm.
i am cheaper than an agency,charged £12 p/h + o/t,they got a regular driver who knew the routes/customers & procedures,the drivers liked it because they knew who was in their truck all the time,i like it as it is 10mins walk from my house.
i made it clear i was driving on their insurance,i had a contract signed to that effect,i did not have drivers neg insurance as couldn’t get it,i have £2 million pounds worth of public liability cover for my business so was covered for mot things.
i had 1 minor scrape in all the time there,where i caught some dozy sods wing mirror in some road works,i pad the £200 to fix it as it was easier & just put it through the business.

they gave me 3 months to xmas & my own truck in september,then i did some 6 wheeler hook loader work for them as they were a driver short,upshot of all this,was they offered me a full time job last month,as a transport/warehouse supervisor as i hold part of a the CPC national qualifaction & also as i had been suggesting things to improve their transport side of the business.
i started end of nov & am loving it :slight_smile: apart form the 4am starts :frowning:

I thought if you were self employed/freelance you could work for the same company for a certain number of weeks.
Is there a difference between freelance and self-employed?
John

busy fool:
I thought if you were self employed/freelance you could work for the same company for a certain number of weeks.
Is there a difference between freelance and self-employed?
John

Don’t really think so, freelance means you can work for whoever I suppose and obviously you would be self employed.

■■■■■■00:
The whole point of out sourcing to an agency is 1 to give the company more flexibility within its own work force. 2 to ensure that their own manpower is used efficiently in h.r . and that its wages division deal with one external company. 3 time is money No point doing any of the above if the company has to once again deal with your bills and any other problems that it might pursue. It would not be cost effective for one person to deal with one person whom can with a click of a mouse deal with 20 agency under one roof. They may as well take you on full time.

We also have various subbies that work for us as well as agency, all I would be basically is a subby but not with my own truck so I could be grouped in with them when being dealt with.

bald bloke:
Does anybody out there know how much roughly an agency will make per hour for 1 driver :question:
The reason I’m asking is the company I work for use plenty of agency drivers everyday and not being big headed but I know I’m well regarded at the company and was thinking about working freelance for this company but for cheaper than what an agency company would charge.
I don’t know how I would stand regarding insurance. Do any of you freelance yourself out independently :question: Thanks in advance.

I dont know if this will help. but I have been freelance for 3 years now.

Dont even bother with the agencies rates. Set a rate that suits you.

I set my stall out on a 50 hour week, and I need to earn ‘X’ amount. Anything over the 50hr week is a bonus.

You have to be clear on your terms ect, as you will be amazed at what folk can pull out of the hat. An example of this is “BREAKS”. I charge from tacho in, to tacho out. I offer to put break on whilst on site, but if they refuse to pay for breaks you need to factor this in.

Tipping and loading off the card, Ok its not legit, but are you out to earn a wage or not? once again a verbal agreement.

Make sure your on their insurance and have the same cover as their employee’s.

I tend to work for companies that dont use agency’s. All they are looking for is honesty, integrity and reliability.

To give you an example, one of my customers points out that by the time you take into account regular drivers wages, Insurance, tax, rates, staffing costs ect. It costs them £750 to leave a tuck stood up for a week. He wont make a profit from you, but an additional cost if he used an agency. But if they can reduce that £750 loss for a week to £250 then life is some what better for them.

Word of mouth is the best advertisement, small companies do work together, and will recommend you. 75% of my work now is through word of mouth from haulier to haulier.

You also need to understand the taxation and invoicing issue. Ignore drivers chat and interweb rumours ect on what you can claim, as its probably all bull to be honest. Phone the tax office direct, tell them what you want to do, regardless of driver opinion, they are fantastic. The only S/E driver that slags the tax office are the ones who cant manage their finances.

Set up a second bank account, preferably one on-line that you cant draw wedge from. Out of every invoice, transfer 30% across on every paid invoice. (Wait folks, there is a reason for this). At the end of the tax year, your tax top line will be 25% (20% if you can register as CIS construction industry scheme if you include N.I (Which you can pay separate over the year monthly D.D). deduct your claims using the self assessment online form. And bang, your tax money with the over payment into the savings account has just paid for a new car/tv/holiday ect. Incidently 5 of us just enjoyed an £8k holiday in Antigua in November to break the winter up.

Refuse the option of cash in hand, as even at £100 a day, your losing out as you can not then claim against mialage, night out, incidentals ect ect. and if someone asks you to work for a rate lower then what you ask, tell them to use them. 9 out of 10 times they will phone you back with a line of “They let me down/ I would prefer you/ how about cash in hand” ect.

Your welcome to my phone number via PM if you want to go down this route fella. I went S/E after the 2008 recession through anger as there was no full time jobs about. As it is now, I would never go back PAYE. No one owns you, and your time is just that. If you dont want to work then you dont have too.

Sounds like too much hassle for not a lot of reward

ironstipper:

bald bloke:

I dont know if this will help. but I have been freelance for 3 years now.

Dont even bother with the agencies rates. Set a rate that suits you.

I set my stall out on a 50 hour week, and I need to earn ‘X’ amount. Anything over the 50hr week is a bonus.

You have to be clear on your terms ect, as you will be amazed at what folk can pull out of the hat. An example of this is “BREAKS”. I charge from tacho in, to tacho out. I offer to put break on whilst on site, but if they refuse to pay for breaks you need to factor this in.

Tipping and loading off the card, Ok its not legit, but are you out to earn a wage or not? once again a verbal agreement.

Make sure your on their insurance and have the same cover as their employee’s.

I tend to work for companies that dont use agency’s. All they are looking for is honesty, integrity and reliability.

To give you an example, one of my customers points out that by the time you take into account regular drivers wages, Insurance, tax, rates, staffing costs ect. It costs them £750 to leave a tuck stood up for a week. He wont make a profit from you, but an additional cost if he used an agency. But if they can reduce that £750 loss for a week to £250 then life is some what better for them.

Word of mouth is the best advertisement, small companies do work together, and will recommend you. 75% of my work now is through word of mouth from haulier to haulier.

You also need to understand the taxation and invoicing issue. Ignore drivers chat and interweb rumours ect on what you can claim, as its probably all bull to be honest. Phone the tax office direct, tell them what you want to do, regardless of driver opinion, they are fantastic. The only S/E driver that slags the tax office are the ones who cant manage their finances.

Set up a second bank account, preferably one on-line that you cant draw wedge from. Out of every invoice, transfer 30% across on every paid invoice. (Wait folks, there is a reason for this). At the end of the tax year, your tax top line will be 25% (20% if you can register as CIS construction industry scheme if you include N.I (Which you can pay separate over the year monthly D.D). deduct your claims using the self assessment online form. And bang, your tax money with the over payment into the savings account has just paid for a new car/tv/holiday ect. Incidently 5 of us just enjoyed an £8k holiday in Antigua in November to break the winter up.

Refuse the option of cash in hand, as even at £100 a day, your losing out as you can not then claim against mialage, night out, incidentals ect ect. and if someone asks you to work for a rate lower then what you ask, tell them to use them. 9 out of 10 times they will phone you back with a line of “They let me down/ I would prefer you/ how about cash in hand” ect.

Your welcome to my phone number via PM if you want to go down this route fella. I went S/E after the 2008 recession through anger as there was no full time jobs about. As it is now, I would never go back PAYE. No one owns you, and your time is just that. If you dont want to work then you dont have too.

Sound advice and I’ve digested it all, thanks.

merc0447:
Sounds like too much hassle for not a lot of reward

Yep, your probably right. There is times I kinda think sod it PAYE is the way forward.

That is until you go for an interview, chat about a job, get to the wages and find out that they are only going to palm you off with an insulting offer of £450-£500 a week for a weeks graft.

Its not for everyone, at least on £450-£500 a week take home your time is your own, instead of spending a couple of hours filling out an invoice and posting it ect, oh and one day a year filling out a S/E form.

But it suits me, and at the end of the day I answered the original post and question with what I would feel is some positive and informative information.

Anyone can post a negative view on anything, especially without substance to prove their point, as for reward, since being self employed the days of European holidays are no longer. I prefer and enjoy long haul to Bali and Antigua ect at £8 to £10k a time, as well as a little gamble on the AIM market in shares. Something I was never able to do on PAYE. :wink:

I hope your post was not the politics of envy there chap? :grimacing:

■■■■■■00:

Companies big enough to use agencies don’t care. Your bill is just another in the big pile of invoices that Accounts Payable have to deal with every month. If you had any idea of how accountancy software works, you’d know it takes all of a minute to process an invoice.

ironstipper:
(20% if you can register as CIS construction industry scheme

The CIS (construction industry Scheme) isn`t relevant to most drivers.
Getting mixed up with that opens a whole can of worms…keep away from it, it will give you a massive headache