Freds Coslada, Madrid

Robert 1952, I used the old road before they built the new tunnels and viaducts from Pamplona to Irun.
High up in the mountain range, twisty 90 degree bends, where as you turned, the rear of the trailer was close to the cab on hair pin bends.
Some eateries on that route, but limited Lgv parking.
Clearing at Irun, I would walk off to the beach in France,Hendaye, or take the unit.
Why it took days to stamp a form, I never knew why, to keep them in jobs ?

toby1234abc:
Robert 1952, I used the old road before they built the new tunnels and viaducts from Pamplona to Irun.
High up in the mountain range, twisty 90 degree bends, where as you turned, the rear of the trailer was close to the cab on hair pin bends.
Some eateries on that route, but limited Lgv parking.
Clearing at Irun, I would walk off to the beach in France,Hendaye, or take the unit.
Why it took days to stamp a form, I never knew why, to keep them in jobs ?

I took this picture through the windscreen just climbing up, going south, towards that hostal for trucks up near the top, back in the '90s. Robert :smiley:

That is kind of sad. I guess I was last at Fred’s in 1999 but had always felt I would go there again sometime. Now I know I won’t be. End of an era, nothing lasts forever i suppose.
Enjoy your retirement Fred, a good few drivers will raise a glass to you.

And here is he man himself…
youtube.com/watch?v=Ffr84sR49h4

Fred is looking fit and well .
He should open a chain of truckstops in the UK, with Spanish style menu de dia, daily menu, or fixed price four course meal.
Vino Tinto and Cafe con leche in the price or a Cerveza por favor.
Non of this lay by crap, burger and chips malarkey.

Alternative opinions of Fred’s Resto at Coslada are available:
If I’ve got any friends on here I may be about to lose them.
Original Fred’s under the flats by the TIR park, was averagely clean, food a bit below average. Prices were above average though.
I never went to the one on the N1.
New Fred’s at Coslada was nice new clean building. Food still average at best, prices even more above average. Phones and faxes very expensive.
Not a place I visited often. Plenty of other restaurants around Coslada with better food at better prices and every bit as welcoming.

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

toby1234abc:
Fred is looking fit and well .
He should open a chain of truckstops in the UK, with Spanish style menu de dia, daily menu, or fixed price four course meal.
Vino Tinto and Cafe con leche in the price or a Cerveza por favor.
Non of this lay by crap, burger and chips malarkey.

When land prices and availability, when planning permission, when nimby-ism and wine prices are the same in the UK as in Spain we’ll see lots of these Spanish style truck stops opening.

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

Many a good weekend in coslada, oh the English (ish) breakfast on a Sunday morning while reading the Sunday papers…[emoji106][emoji106] met some nice guys while there and also while chatting to another driver sorted an interview and a new job out…

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk