Foreign Truck on UK roundabouts

Muckles, know that rdbt so well. Just want to clarify with you, when you are approaching it what lane are you in, be it going to or coming from the A13. You shouldn’t be using the outside lane, you should only be in lane1 (unless you’re in a car of course)

robroy:

nomiS36:
I just can’t understand why they crawl round the outside lane not telling anybody what they are doing (indicators).

Lost and not sure which is the exit they want, taking a while to decide maybe ?
That’s the thing I’ve seen with foreign trucks, UK trucks, cars, vans,.and any other vehicle, on a FEW occasions.
However if it’s in epidemic proportions with ‘foreignen trucks’ as the o/p suggests, maybe I’m wrong eh?

That’s what I’m saying. No problem with people who are lost but when using a roundabout to figure it out get on the inside lane and use the bloody indicator. That’s goes for every single road user in every single country. Apart from everything else it’s so much safer for opposite hand drive because other vehicles can’t sneak up on your blind spot side.
It’s so logical I just don’t get why, ok, EVERYBODY that does it wrong can’t grasp it.

pierrot 14:
Muckles, know that rdbt so well. Just want to clarify with you, when you are approaching it what lane are you in, be it going to or coming from the A13. You shouldn’t be using the outside lane, you should only be in lane1 (unless you’re in a car of course)

I’m in lane 1, but its not where I am, (I know that, I’m here :laughing: ) its trying to work out where everybody else is going, they seem to take all sorts of lanes, even some that don’t actually exist. :open_mouth: Although part of the issue is most of my memories of that roundabout are doing it in a RHD truck. :confused:

I see on a daily basis, the vast majority of British truck drivers failing to use their indicators on roundabouts or anywhere else really.

muckles:

pierrot 14:

I’m in lane 1, but its not where I am, (I know that, I’m here :laughing: ) its trying to work out where everybody else is going, they seem to take all sorts of lanes, even some that don’t actually exist. :open_mouth: Although part of the issue is most of my memories of that roundabout are doing it in a RHD truck. :confused:

Ah of course, RHD, yes I forgot that you’d be in an English truck. Know the feeling well, same for me when I lived and worked in England doing Europe, or now in a French lorry doing England. That rdbt in Rouen does my head in even in a French wagon, not the only one I must add :slight_smile:
A long long time ago had to go round the Arc de Triomphe in an RHD artic and that was before they had installed traffic lights, nightmare !!!

TiredAndEmotional:
I see on a daily basis, the vast majority of British truck drivers failing to use their indicators on roundabouts or anywhere else really.

Yep, another one that boils my wee [emoji35]
If somebody needs to know your intentions so they can make an informed decision what they are going to do FFS tell them!
aaaaand breath.

All foreigners will know that in the UK we drive on the right.Apart from that I doubt that they will receive any special training to drive over here any more than I did to drive on the other side of the channel.I do know that in Spain there is an official correct way.Consult the Guardia Civil Trafico or N332 websites.If you want to left at a multi lane roundabout even in the right hand lane,show left indicator at approach and on the roundabout itself.Show right indicator to exit.You are supposed to exit only via lane 1 but we all know that to the Spanish a roundabout is a very short overtaking lane.I’ve never experienced problems in France because many of their roundabouts are very tight.However the one mentioned above on the A13 is interesting.Eyes in the back of your head,etc.

Gidders:
All foreigners will know that in the UK we drive on the right.Apart from that I doubt that they will receive any special training to drive over here any more than I did to drive on the other side of the channel.I do know that in Spain there is an official correct way.Consult the Guardia Civil Trafico or N332 websites.If you want to left at a multi lane roundabout even in the right hand lane,show left indicator at approach and on the roundabout itself.Show right indicator to exit.You are supposed to exit only via lane 1 but we all know that to the Spanish a roundabout is a very short overtaking lane.I’ve never experienced problems in France because many of their roundabouts are very tight.However the one mentioned above on the A13 is interesting.Eyes in the back of your head,etc.

Except we drive on the left in the UK [emoji636]

Overtaking on a roundabout is the biggest problem, especially two lorries

nomiS36:

TiredAndEmotional:

Yep, another one that boils my wee [emoji35] .

What boils mine are the absolute 2 ats who cut in on you (I’m sure I’ve mentioned it before :smiley: ) when overtaking.
Now maybe I’m the one generalising this time :open_mouth: …, but it’s never lhd foreign trucks, it’s always thick Brits who can’t (or can’t be arsed to) judge safe distances. :bulb:

Wheel Nut:

Gidders:

Except we drive on the left in the UK [emoji636]

Overtaking on a roundabout is the biggest problem, especially two lorries

Wheel nut, I think that he, Gidders, was talking as from a European driver point of view, he lives in Alicante.

robroy:

Early-Riser:
Hi all,

Is it my imagination, or does almost every foreign truck take the left hand lane on roundabouts, regardless of which exit they intend on taking and also ignoring any lane dedications in place, obviously i understand the need to straddle lanes on smaller roundabouts, but even on a main, 3 lane roundabout with room to spare?
I’ve lost count of the number of minor accidents I’ve passed on roundabouts involving a foreign truck and a car and in nearly every instance it is after the truck ignored lane dedications and approached roundabout in left hand lane, but was turning right, the car meanwhile, was in his dedicated middle lane to go straight on.
I don’t believe this can be put down to a case of bad driving as it happens too often, in my opinion there’s clearly a contradiction in the way foreign drivers are trained on how to use roundabouts compared to UK drivers, why hasn’t this been addressed■■?

Almost EVERY Foreign truck?
No particular individual nationality then, just almost every foriegn truck? All under one category.
That is a hell of a lot of drivers who can’t use roundabouts then.

…No can’t say I’ve noticed that myself mate.
Noticed a lot of ■■■■ poor driving among UK trucks, but wouldn’t go as far as to say ‘Almost every Brit truck’’

What I have noticed is there are good, bad and downright ■■■■ poor drivers whatever language they speak, but in a lot of cases, (especially on here) if say for eg. a Dutchman [zb] s you up on one occasion on one day, I hear… ‘‘ALL Foreign drivers are’’… this that and the other. :bulb:

You’ve mis-interpreted the point i was making mate, I am not suggesting that foreign drivers “can’t” use UK roundabouts, or that they are erm…
■■■■ poor■■?
(not entirely sure where that appears on the scale of a truckers driving ability tbh,)
I was not making reference to anybody’s driving ability, i do believe i stated this in my original post.

point i was making is that it appears they’ve been trained differently to UK truckers, on using UK roundabouts,
it may well be that the reverse is true for UK drivers on roundabouts abroad, I can’t really comment on that side of it, having no
personal experience.
And, to answer your opening question,
YES, i do mean almost EVERY foreign truck, or to be more specific, almost every artic lorry with a foreign number plate.
and
NO, no individual or specific nationality.

Early-Riser:
YES, i do mean almost EVERY foreign truck, or to be more specific, almost every artic lorry with a foreign number plate.
and
NO, no individual or specific nationality.

Ah right, so you do mean EVERY foreign truck. :open_mouth:
So to be pedantic here, and to.back up your claim, that must also mean even foreign regd trucks driven by Brit drivers also, the likes of Verhoek for eg, and one or two others who’s names escape me.

Speaking as somebody who used to get all this type of generalisation and negative anti foreign truck, stereotypical ■■■■■■■■ chucked at me personally on a regular basis a few years ago (the reason why I always jump on this type of crap on here :bulb: ) …it does get a bit tedious after a while tbh. :neutral_face:

I think that there is a curiously British obsession with taking roundabouts as fast as possible, in cars or lorries.

Congratulations to Wheel Nut for being the first to spot my deliberate mistake yesterday.
Pierrot 14.Thanks for your support but it was a display of muppetry by myself caused by doing 2 things at the same time.Typing and thinking ahead.Walking and talking?
The previous poster is correct in that people don’t want to reduce speed at roundabouts which defeats the point really.That is why many in France are really tight causing almost walking pace in lorries.

pierrot 14:
Manski, here in France lorry drivers are taught to keep to the outside of the roundabout, slightly straddling towards the interior, whatever exit you are taking. On approaching the roundabout, if it’s the first exit RH indicator on. If you’re going straight on or left then on approaching the rdbt you put the LH indicator on and keep it on right up to the exit, then RH to indicate that you are about to leave the roundabout.

And its INFURIATING! Especially that ridiculous indicating to go straight on nonsense

switchlogic:

pierrot 14:
Manski, here in France lorry drivers are taught to keep to the outside of the roundabout, slightly straddling towards the interior, whatever exit you are taking. On approaching the roundabout, if it’s the first exit RH indicator on. If you’re going straight on or left then on approaching the rdbt you put the LH indicator on and keep it on right up to the exit, then RH to indicate that you are about to leave the roundabout.

And its INFURIATING! Especially that ridiculous indicating to go straight on nonsense

Agree odd way to indicate but just do the same myself now confuses them even more when a foreign lorry does it

switchlogic:

pierrot 14:

Maybe it is Luke, but that’s how it goes. I find it deters car drivers from squeezing past on the left. When you come to a rdbt with 2 lanes, those immediately to your left will get away quickly, anything behind should in theory hang back. As for hugging the outside, that should deter them from trying to squeeze past on the blind side.
Remember the way that car drivers when overtaking on motorways/duals, indicated to pull out, then always kept the left indicator on until they pulled back in? Doesn’t happen so much now but there are those that still do it.

I have often mentioned my pet hate of lorries overtaking on roundabouts, either exit or entry, I don’t know the nationality of the drivers but the trucks are normally B&Q or Royal Mail

Wheel Nut:
I have often mentioned my pet hate of lorries overtaking on roundabouts, either exit or entry, I don’t know the nationality of the drivers but the trucks are normally B&Q or Royal Mail

Morons (Morans) and Next seem to think that the roundabouts on the A50 are put there purely for overtaking purposes

Pierrot and Franglais have put their fingers on it. It is the way we are taught in France and to my mind is the safest and most sensible way to proceed, and I have always done it long before I came to live here.

But, the most important thing, as Wheelnut says, is to indicate. In France you indicate left (if going for anything other than the 1st exit) and keep it on until just past the exit before the one you want. Then indicate right ‘to inform those entering from that entry’ as my instructor told us.

It makes sense because it means you have only one side of the wagon to worry about, and are ready for the numpties who try to overtake.

I must admit to being a bit uncomfortable about being instructed in England, by signs on the lane, to take a different route.