Foreign curiousities?

Archie Paice:
Hullo All,
About this Union thing, foriegn lorries not being used for tipping and loading in British factories. That is exactly what happened with MAT, at the Oxford depot. As everybody will know MAT always had 110 Scanias, that is until some bright spark at British Leyland at Abingdon looked out of his window one day and saw them loading. They rang up MAT to tell them they were banned from the site with the 110 Scanias, two days later MAT were in there again in full swing with six Brand new Crusaders all based at the Oxford depot.
Cheers, Archie.

They were probably given them or at least got a good deal on them, was it the Crusaders that went to Pakistan? :stuck_out_tongue:

They were probably given them or at least got a good deal on them, was it the Crusaders that went to Pakistan? :stuck_out_tongue:
[/quote]
Hullo Malc,
No the Crusaders only went as far as to Jerusalem, they never went as far as Pakistan :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:
Cheers, Archie.

Archie Paice:

Hullo Malc,
No the Crusaders only went as far as to Jerusalem, they never went as far as Pakistan :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:
Cheers, Archie.
[/quote]
I knew one of the drivers; Richard, we nicknamed him Lionheart :wink:

ain`t he buried at canterbury cathedral and had a brother called prince john or john or something :laughing: :laughing:

Wheel Nut:
I remember hearing some story about a haulier who had a few Volvo F86 in the fleet, they were delivering steel into the motoring monolith of Longbridge, they downed tools about foreign built trucks bringing materials into the factory. I imagine the same thing happened around Patricroft, Leyland and Bathgate.

That certainly happened at the Leyland plant around 1984, and came about because Volvo had been granted "British "status by the SMMT on the strength of the Irvine assembly plant. Fortunately, we had a Mk.1 Atki on private tax that was able to meet the Volvo drivers outside, change over trailers, tip and bring the empty home. :wink:

harry_gill:
John was only in his early 20s at that time but he was a wizard with Gardner engines and i believe he stuck with them till he shut up shop.
thanks harry long retired.

He is indeed a wizard with Gardner engines, Harry - he fettled my 150 so that it became utterly convinced it was a 240, and had fantastic fuel economy too! He could make those 240s fairly sing.

He did eventually move onto the 14 litre ■■■■■■■ for the last few years, having had the same trouble as everyone else with the 6LYT Gardner, the big new 15.5 litre they brought out after they were taken over. One ERF C Series bought new with a 6LYT was even converted to ■■■■■■■■ Years before, he had bought ■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■ Mk.2 Atkis and put Gardners in them.

3300John:
Hiya …now don,t shout and screem at me. I think that maggi dutz was here in 1966 a year before Volvo
and scania, Iam not saying they was any better than other but i think they may be one of the first.
they was the most ugly thats for certain at that time.I was at teck college in 66 (15yrs)and had a commercial
motor mag and was truck mad. one of the lads ripped out a demonstrator advert and filled it in unknown
to me, The next thing i knew i,d got a demostrator drive at Adams Butter who was operating from Leek where i lived.
Adams had a demo but never run one as they was AEC crazy
I got a stack of info about all there models but they have been thrown out now.
John

John - did you mean this sort?