Foots Transport (Southampton & Ringwood)

Still looking for any more old photographs if anyone has any

NormanFoot:
It is wonderful to see the interest in this site. Well done Andy. My dear old Dad would have loved all of it. I am constantly phoning my brother and sister and we are all searching for more photos…

1970s waiting for a load of wool for Bradford, hanging about at the office, the guy said, fancy tipping us a trailer of flour on the dock, there’s a fiver in it for you, nowt else to do ok, tipped the trailer dropped it back on the lorry park job done loads the next day for home, a few days later the police turn up the trailer had been nicked, oh s–t, turned out ok they found the trailer,
Les.

andyfoot:

Stepping back a generation, saw this and thought of the “dodgy roping & sheeting” comments earlier. Looks like we’ve always been guilty of that!!
B.G. Foot, was my great grandfather, Erics Dad. I’m not sure if the photograph is of Eric or his brother Harold.

A 1935 reg shows that Foots do go back a long way. I assume, following on from B.G.Foot,that E.A.A. (Eric) Foot of Hymons ,Lychett Matravers took over from his father as he remained a sole trader until June 1962 when Foots Transport (Ringwood)Ltd of Farcy Road,Parkstone was created,with an operating centre at St Leonards. 2 rigids & 2 artics were operated on ‘A’ licence & 2 artics on ‘B’ licence. Traffics were mainly the generic “animal feeding stuffs,grain,fertiliser,building materials,timber, plant,flour ,corn & cattle foods between London Avonmouth & Southampton & over the years this was increased to include Midlands, East Anglia & S Wales
By Sept 1964,Foots Transport were at Thrush Rd, Parkstone but the one constant throughout ,was the operating centre at St Leonards (on the A31 southside just passed the Cattery) which was also used to"park” old vehicles & plant. It was sometimes referred to as The Stores,St Leonards.
It would be interesting to see any pictures of the old Foots vehicles particularly a (red ?)1950s AEC Mandator which used to run with a tandem axle trailer

That’s interesting as Compton was at Thrush Road and also has (had) the land at St Leonard’s were up to a couple of years ago was mobile home sales

frank still lives there bad knees worked on freightliners for years god we had a laugh so boring you had to be silly , ended up shutting on pentalvers dont think he has the bbq,s as he used to lol

Maggie.

Not sure if anyone is still following this thread, but just in case…

I spotted this photo on ebay just before Christmas so I bought it!