Fodens.

gingerfold:

rigsby:

coomsey:
Smart

Hughes Bros and Hillhead were under the same company , that lorry was an early one , still on 40by8s . The one that went to Hillhead had 1000 by 20s and the manual 12 speed box . The little vent on top of the cab had a mirror for loading , also useful for checking for police cars sneaking up behind .

That has finally answered a puzzle that I wondered about 60 years ago when I saw them as lad. Thank you. :laughing: :laughing:

Some of Ballidon quarries Kew Dodges in the fifties had those mirrors as well. Back to that Foden: I assume that was about the same time as the NORDE artic was developed at Darley Dale to do a similar speed then? Those worm and wheel Foden diffs were not really designed for those speeds though, but if hypoid ones had been available it might have been even faster as there was less drag on those! :open_mouth:

Pete.

Foden Tanker1.jpg

gumtree.com.au/s-ad/bakers- … 1235128422

I hope this works for you blokes in the wrong hemisphere. :wink:

Star down under.:
Bakers Hill 6562, WA | Trucks | Gumtree Australia Free Local Classifieds

Put me down for that , did a few miles in one of those in the dim distant past .

rigsby:

Star down under.:
Bakers Hill 6562, WA | Trucks | Gumtree Australia Free Local Classifieds

Put me down for that , did a few miles in one of those in the dim distant past .

Me too Dave, but only in the passenger seat or, if grandfather came as well, perched on the engine cover! :laughing:

Pete.

IMG_20200414_210508.jpg

kevmac47:

From back in the days when John ‘Spannerman’ Humphries had a say in which trucks Mr Shields bought for his quarry! :slight_smile: They ran Fodens for many years, but were not adverse to trying other makes occasionally.

Pete.

youtube.com/watch?v=v–ISzGFUx4
A video from yesterday ,Foden the on off road lorry :smiley:
Did 10 trips up with concrete pipes and road barriers .

Foden - MAU322:

Nice picture, 1949 Reg, From Nottingham, I wonder what was under the bonnet :question: , Regards Larry.

More foden ■■■■ from NZ ,looks like the cab got a bit extra in to accommodate a bigger engine ,see the grill and cab step ?

Lawrence Dunbar:
Nice picture, 1949 Reg, From Nottingham, I wonder what was under the bonnet :question: , Regards Larry.

I reckon that would have had a Gardner 4LW Larry , in 1949 they were still fitting 5LWs in 6wheelers , although Hillhead had 2 identical DG flats except one had a 4potter and the other a 5 . Both took the same time for trips.

Designing of the Foden FG/FE range began in 1946 with FG’s having the Gardner engines of 4, 5 and 6LW depending on the chassis layout. The FE’s having the Foden engines fitted, the same spec really as the previous DG range introduced before the war. The new style S.18 cab took many features from the already designed bus range. The little four wheeler in the photo likely had the 4LW fitted or the Foden FD 4 Two Stroke, the two strokes recently designed and introduced because of reduced availability of Gardners at that time. Interestingly the FG/FE range was introduced in 1947 just as the Government commenced the Transport Act bringing all long distance UK transport under the newly titled British Transport Commission, the only exceptions to Nationalisation were vehicle manufacturers that owned their own fleets to carry their own goods, heavy indivisible load hauliers, bulk liquid transport, furniture removals and those companies that restricted their business to within a 40 mile radius of their home base. Because of this and the expected loss of home sales Foden decided to increase sales in the overseas market and produced left hand drive FG types with increases to chassis frame depth and tyre size for the more demanding operating conditions they would meet, a good move as export sales increased handsomely over the coming years. Franky.

Frankydobo:

Designing of the Foden FG/FE range began in 1946 with FG’s having the Gardner engines of 4, 5 and 6LW depending on the chassis layout. The FE’s having the Foden engines fitted, the same spec really as the previous DG range introduced before the war. The new style S.18 cab took many features from the already designed bus range. The little four wheeler in the photo likely had the 4LW fitted or the Foden FD 4 Two Stroke, the two strokes recently designed and introduced because of reduced availability of Gardners at that time. Interestingly the FG/FE range was introduced in 1947 just as the Government commenced the Transport Act bringing all long distance UK transport under the newly titled British Transport Commission, the only exceptions to Nationalisation were vehicle manufacturers that owned their own fleets to carry their own goods, heavy indivisible load hauliers, bulk liquid transport, furniture removals and those companies that restricted their business to within a 40 mile radius of their home base. Because of this and the expected loss of home sales Foden decided to increase sales in the overseas market and produced left hand drive FG types with increases to chassis frame depth and tyre size for the more demanding operating conditions they would meet, a good move as export sales increased handsomely over the coming years. Franky.

Thanks for posting this great info about Fodens Franky, Regards Larry.

Lawrence Dunbar:

Frankydobo:

Thanks for posting this great info about Fodens Franky, Regards Larry.

+1… :wink:

Lawrence Dunbar:

It’s got one of Fodens own strokers under the bonnet. I can’t remember the original operator, but I know that it eventually went back to Fodens and was used on the works fleet. It then went into private preservation, and I believe it spent some time resident at the Amberley Chalk Pits Museum - it may still be there. It is showing as currently taxed on the DVLA site.

KYR936P:

Found this one this morning on a French forum. It looks the bogie of the semi-trailer is powered, mechanically (shaft in the chassis of the trailer?) or by hydraulics. Will any of you know more? Thanks.

Froggy55:
Found this one this morning on a French forum. It looks the bogie of the semi-trailer is powered, mechanically (shaft in the chassis of the trailer?) or by hydraulics. Will any of you know more? Thanks.

There are many aggregate trucks here in Portugal that pull short powered bogie trailers,the drive appears to be taken off tractor axle instead of hydraulically.

David