jimcab:

Punchy Dan:

James.908:

Punchy Dan:

windrush:

oiltreader:
Fine looking machine.
Oily

Joe Dean’s trucks, usually Leyland four wheelers, used to deliver machinery to our quarry on a regular basis. There is a piece about them in this months Heritage Commercials mag.

Pete.

Beats me why anyone would drive one of those when you could have an ERF B series :open_mouth:

Plus 1 punchy

:smiley: Pete likes stiff gear cables and draughty doors [emoji38]

265 roller and 9 speed fuller…still preferred the b series

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

A bit underpowered…but the twin split helped it along

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I drove one like the last pic , but it was an 8 wheeler . 325 perkins / rolls , 13 speed fuller , went like a rocket and pulled well . the limiter was prone to, ahem , frequent failure , never did find out why . I didn’t take much advantage of the fault , but cruising at 60 mph was ok on the motorway .

Frankydobo:
I presume you mean this one Pete, although going by the Reg No its the same vehicle, I’m sure I read it somewhere it had been converted to an 8 Wheel Tractor. It was based on the Low Line Crane chassis with a load carrying frame allowing it to meet the 32 Ton requirement, up to 18 Tons of 50ft steel channels could be carried. The bolsters on the bed allowed the channels to be carried over the cab and to clear the engine cover which was located behind the cab, the chassis was cut short at the rear to maintain the 11-Metre overall length limit for the period, being 1965 at the time of the photo. Gardner 150, Foden 12 speed box and rear double drive four spring bogie. Franky.

Good stuff Franky" and nice pics. :wink:

1. Click on pages twice.

Another clipping about the Bulmer’s special and a chinese six.

Dont know whats going on with this website but had to resize this 4 ■■■■■■■ times to get it to load !!! :smiling_imp:

Click on once.

foden bulm.PNG

DEANB:

Frankydobo:
I presume you mean this one Pete, although going by the Reg No its the same vehicle, I’m sure I read it somewhere it had been converted to an 8 Wheel Tractor. It was based on the Low Line Crane chassis with a load carrying frame allowing it to meet the 32 Ton requirement, up to 18 Tons of 50ft steel channels could be carried. The bolsters on the bed allowed the channels to be carried over the cab and to clear the engine cover which was located behind the cab, the chassis was cut short at the rear to maintain the 11-Metre overall length limit for the period, being 1965 at the time of the photo. Gardner 150, Foden 12 speed box and rear double drive four spring bogie. Franky.

Good stuff Franky" and nice pics. :wink:

1. Click on pages twice.

Did Fodens make an appearance at the 1980 Motor Show or was their stand at the 1979 show their “Swan song” as an independent manufacturer ?

Bewick:
Did Fodens make an appearance at the 1980 Motor Show or was their stand at the 1979 show their “Swan song” as an independent manufacturer ?

Evening Dennis,

Yes they had stand no 43 in hall 5 in 1980.

Heres a clipping from the show edition of Commercial motor magazine 1980. :wink:

Click on page twice.

foden 19801.jpg

In early October 1980 the sale of Foden was finalised by the Receivers and the name changed to Sandbach Engineering Company and it was under this name they attended the 1980 October show at the NEC, the main exhibits being 6 and 8 wheeler Haulmasters the 8 wheeler having the Gardner 6LXC engine. Despite the company name change the Foden name still appeared on brochures and the vehicles of course. The management decided dealer shows were of a more long term value than National Exhibitions but the 1980 show had already been organised but it did see an interest in the new company and its vehicles which enabled them to take on a further 150 workers in 1981 to bring the workforce count up to 500. Franky.

DEANB:

Bewick:

Evening Dennis,

Yes they had stand no 43 in hall 5 in 1980.

Heres a clipping from the show edition of Commercial motor magazine 1980. :wink:

Click on page twice.

Thanks for the info Dean but it seems to me like they shouldn’t have bothered attending the 1980 show as they were basically wiped out ! All I can say is Fodens never ever figured at Bewick Transport and not that I ever wanted a visit, but a Foden Salesman never called at our depot either !There but the grace of God !!! Cheers Dennis.

Spotted this in Stroud today

Rare brochure.

Click on pages twice.

That rare Foden brochure i spent ages scanning must have been crap then ■■?

Dean…then crap but nowadays gold in the collectors-sçene

Here some pages of a 1974 brochure handed during Earls Court.

IMG_3217.JPG

IMG_3216.JPG

IMG_3215.JPG

IMG_3214.JPG

DEANB:
That rare Foden brochure i spent ages scanning must have been crap then ■■?

Steady on Dean, cracking read, I wonder if they put Foden badge on the 20mm shells?

ERF-Continental:
Here some pages of a 1974 brochure handed during Earls Court.

A 305 engine in 1974? That was some puller for the time. :open_mouth:

I enjoyed the brochure, Dean, so thank you, but I had to stand on my head to read some of it. :laughing:

I drove the Foden 6x6 Gun Tractor pulling the FH70 155mmm Gun/Howitzer during my TA days, basic but done the job especially around Otterburn training areas tight muddy tracks, I remember the lad sitting in the passenger seat couldn’t understand how I could change gear silently without using the clutch, I didn’t let on it was all down to that superb gearbox.
Franky.

Nice experience and memories though…and your chassis was
also printed on the brochure of 1974

By the way…a large poster of this Foden-miltary is available and for sale

FB_IMG_1572106217317.jpg
Bit of an old lad ! After my last post (aec) thanks to God she doesn’t need roping or sheeting. Cheers Coomsey