Fodens.

windrush:

coomsey:
Grey n purple from Brum if I remember right,Pete will know NMP off FB

They had several depots Paul, Manchester, Wakefield, Darley Dale which was the old Toft Brothers and Tomlinson yard/garage. I went for a fitters job at Darley Dale but didn’t get set on as I only had a HGV class two and they were changing over from eight leggers to those silly things that bend in the middle! :open_mouth: My pal and neighbour the late Gordon Oliver drove a Seddon four wheeler for them until he retired, two loads of refactory bricks from Friden brickworks to Sheffield daily.

Pete.

Remember seeing them about Pete but didn’t realize they were from just about every where bar Brum. Must have had a biggish fleet then ?

Just the one, Buzzer

267358313_10225293847511337_5207858092970338083_n.jpg

Just spotted on a French forum, and possibly already posted here, but there it is. The load looks like a marine engine, but with an unusual V 14 cylinder display.

Here’s a few, Buzzer

279877618_5560923290585124_6952653719837319871_n.jpg

Seconds, Buzzer

The pic of Barnett and Grahams S39 artic brings back memories from when their powder tankers used to back load from our quarry. They ran MAN’s by then and were all grand lads and willing to chat, I believe that the company folded which was sad as they ran decent tackle.

Pete.

Take your pick! What colour was their livery?

Few more, Buzzer

I was looking to see if that London Welsh Foden had a tow hitch on the front for nosing in the drag, and I think it had. When I converted my Toray fleet to wagons and drags in the '80s and '90s and sent my proposed drivers to another company for training I gave strict instructions to them and, indirectly, the trainers concerned that they were definitely forbidden to nose in for reversing.

The initial 2 drivers went while I was on holiday and when I got back I asked my assistant manager how things had gone. ‘Mainly good but not all good’ was the reply. ‘How bad?’ was my first question and the reply was that one of the trailers had been parked up at our mill in Hyde for the whole 2 weeks. Apparently the driver simply couldn’t get the hang of it, it was difficult I admit, blindside reversing into a dark warehouse and, if in the morning, the sun coming up over the top of it straight into the driver’s mirrors. Nevertheless the other driver took to it like a duck to water and was well on his way to being an expert, as was a 3rd driver and later others afterwards. So what went wrong? I spoke to my friend, the TM of the company with whose drivers mine had been accompanying on their London night trunks. The drivers were questioned and it turned out that the one who had taken our only ‘failure’ was the only one who habitually nosed in at their change over depot. Subsequently I trained him myself and, although he wasn’t a natural he turned out ok ever afterwards.

I have nothing but admiration for those old timers with their lack of power steering and tiny mirrors and can quite understand why it was necessary to nose in then, a practise which was harder than reversing with modern equipment, but the only way to do it with the wagons that they had.

Coomsey wrote; Take your pick! What colour was their livery?

I had some pics of Arrow Bulk Carriers but all Black and White but did find a Corgi Classics 1/50 scale model amongst their collection. I did have a feeling the lighter colour was Grey but in monochrome pics the darker colour could be anything from Red, Green or Blue, fortunately the model colour gives the answer. Franky.

Hi spardo was able to zoom in to foden pic and it has a hitch on the front. cheers Ray

Geordielad:
Coomsey wrote; Take your pick! What colour was their livery?

I had some pics of Arrow Bulk Carriers but all Black and White but did find a Corgi Classics 1/50 scale model amongst their collection. I did have a feeling the lighter colour was Grey but in monochrome pics the darker colour could be anything from Red, Green or Blue, fortunately the model colour gives the answer. Franky.

Thanks Franky it’s always dodgy trying to guess

Pair of lookers! NMP off FB

stargazer148:
Hi spardo was able to zoom in to foden pic and it has a hitch on the front. cheers Ray

Yes I thought I saw it Ray, but wasn’t sure, the eyes ain’t what they used to be. The only way to do it in those days I should think, and the trailer was very short which would make it more tricky. :unamused:

Spardo:
I was looking to see if that London Welsh Foden had a tow hitch on the front for nosing in the drag, and I think it had. When I converted my Toray fleet to wagons and drags in the '80s and '90s and sent my proposed drivers to another company for training I gave strict instructions to them and, indirectly, the trainers concerned that they were definitely forbidden to nose in for reversing.

The initial 2 drivers went while I was on holiday and when I got back I asked my assistant manager how things had gone. ‘Mainly good but not all good’ was the reply. ‘How bad?’ was my first question and the reply was that one of the trailers had been parked up at our mill in Hyde for the whole 2 weeks. Apparently the driver simply couldn’t get the hang of it, it was difficult I admit, blindside reversing into a dark warehouse and, if in the morning, the sun coming up over the top of it straight into the driver’s mirrors. Nevertheless the other driver took to it like a duck to water and was well on his way to being an expert, as was a 3rd driver and later others afterwards. So what went wrong? I spoke to my friend, the TM of the company with whose drivers mine had been accompanying on their London night trunks. The drivers were questioned and it turned out that the one who had taken our only ‘failure’ was the only one who habitually nosed in at their change over depot. Subsequently I trained him myself and, although he wasn’t a natural he turned out ok ever afterwards.

I have nothing but admiration for those old timers with their lack of power steering and tiny mirrors and can quite understand why it was necessary to nose in then, a practise which was harder than reversing with modern equipment, but the only way to do it with the wagons that they had.

Best way was to learn to reverse as you didn’t want to ■■■■ about in the rain dropping & picking the thing up & getting soaked.

dave docwra:

Spardo:

Best way was to learn to reverse as you didn’t want to ■■■■ about in the rain dropping & picking the thing up & getting soaked.

Yes there was that of course, but to my mind the biggest drawback with nosing was that you couldn’t see down both sides of the vehicle.

More, Buzzer

280740332_1424161911374372_8076371160728921087_n.jpg

coomsey:

Cream top and red lower.

essexpete:

coomsey:

Cream top and red lower.

Thanks Pete, Franky provided us with a grand pic