First Tractor unit

Fair enough Simon, sounds like you’re heading the DAF way and not a bad choice for value for your dosh IMO.

I did wonder if CF might be cheaper to buy than bigger cabbed DAF’s, i don’t have to night out any more but compared to years in cut down and sometimes coffin sleepers they seemed plenty roomy enough for me.

turnbull2012:
thanks for all the advice had considered the cf but thought cab too small for been in all week hence the xf and would love to be able to afford a 105.460 as was recently piloting one on arable type work with auto box and whilst only loaded 50 per cent of the time they were doing 9.25mpg whereas the r470’s they had running alongside the dafs on same work were only doing 7.5mpg so that and price of scania wiped them out of consideration despite all yappie might praise scanias i cant see the price demanded is worthy of them especially as last year i was driving a stralis 480 and a v8 480 scania at same company on same work and the stralis pulled as well as the scania and there was next to nothing in fuel consumption differences. i have over the past 5 years however driven nearly every varient of xf and have yet to find one that didnt perform well and drive nicely. another main consideration in my mind is backup the local dealers are either volvo or daf a little bit further afield at blackburn there is a renault dealer at preston there is daf scania and iveco and as i intend to run the wagon 7 days a week on a two driver 4 on 4 off rota i need to know parts can be obtained in a rush if needed not be waiting around with a load on trailer and no means of getting it off

simon

Why do you want a cab big enough for a week away, if you are planning to run it with 2 drivers 4 on 4 off?

The most a driver would spend in it is 3 nights?

Wheel Nut:

Silver_Surfer:

shuttlespanker:
i have got 2 TGA’s and had very little trouble with either of them

1 is an 06 plate XLX 430, had to change the window motor, it has just started leaking from an air valve on the auto box and a pipe for the headlamp washers has rubbed through on one of the cab air bags

the 2nd one is a 57 plate XXL Euro4 440, had it since the beginning of the year and so far, had no trouble with it

You haven’t had them that long. :smiley:

Beginning of the year, eh? It is only February now…

I like MAN engines, but at 500k, I may be wary

i have had the 06 plate XLX for 16 months now :wink:

when i bought it, it had over 600k KM’s on it

shuttlespanker:

Wheel Nut:

Silver_Surfer:

shuttlespanker:

1 is an 06 plate XLX 430, had to change the window motor, it has just started leaking from an air valve on the auto box and a pipe for the headlamp washers has rubbed through on one of the cab air bags

the 2nd one is a 57 plate XXL Euro4 440, had it since the beginning of the year and so far, had no trouble with it

ive run to man d20 common rails a 55 and a 56. had the 56 nearly 3 year… been good very low maitainance… the new euro 4 440 i beleive the early1’s were burning valves out @ roughly 400k… good value for money… but i would consider a new premium with the volvo engine only heard a few probs with the wireing loom…

We’ve run two Daf’s on farm work recently, first one was an XF95/430 manual, went away at the start of last year with 800k on it, great motor, replaced it with an XF105/460 auto, great to drive and on fuel, auto box is great, even in some rough farm steadings. You’ll get a pretty good Daf for 20k, there’s plenty of them out there.

20years nearly on bulk tippers and i aint ever seen or heard of 9.25mpg you cant trust what the dash tells you sonny, get your pencil and paper out.

turnbull2012:
thanks for all the advice had considered the cf but thought cab too small for been in all week hence the xf and would love to be able to afford a 105.460 as was recently piloting one on arable type work with auto box and whilst only loaded 50 per cent of the time they were doing 9.25mpg whereas the r470’s they had running alongside the dafs on same work were only doing 7.5mpg so that and price of scania wiped them out of consideration despite all yappie might praise scanias i cant see the price demanded is worthy of them especially as last year i was driving a stralis 480 and a v8 480 scania at same company on same work and the stralis pulled as well as the scania and there was next to nothing in fuel consumption differences. i have over the past 5 years however driven nearly every varient of xf and have yet to find one that didnt perform well and drive nicely. another main consideration in my mind is backup the local dealers are either volvo or daf a little bit further afield at blackburn there is a renault dealer at preston there is daf scania and iveco and as i intend to run the wagon 7 days a week on a two driver 4 on 4 off rota i need to know parts can be obtained in a rush if needed not be waiting around with a load on trailer and no means of getting it off

simon

robbo863:
20years nearly on bulk tippers and i aint ever seen or heard of 9.25mpg you cant trust what the dash tells you sonny, get your pencil and paper out.

“Pencil & paper” is right!! I once ran fully loaded with a mate to Spain, we both filled up @ Sunbilla, ran ‘holding hands’ & tipped Elche & both loaded together at Valencia & ran together & filling up again @ Sunbilla, he put about 6 litres more than me (360 Turbostar) into his Scania 144 460, I worked mine out to 7.7, & was quite happy. I simply couldn’t believe it when he was telling a bloke in Clauds next morning how his V8 Scania never dropped much below 9mpg, I didn’t want to upset a mate by ‘pulling him up’ in a crowd, so asked him later if he’d worked out his consumption from the fill up the day before & he said “of course, 8.9”!!! I recon his imaginary friend must have worked it out on his imaginary calculator!!!

Ross.

robbo863:

[/quote]
He did say he was only loaded 50% of the time.

Harry Monk:

robbo863:

Depending on the work 9.25mpg is still a bit high unless he’s on nice steady distance work, even running 50% empty. On local bulk work I sometimes struggle to get much more than 7mpg average even running empty half the time but obviously it depends on the terrain - running up and down the hills of the North Yorkshire Moors at full weight sups a scary amount of juice. I can get 8mpg on a steady motorway run.

Paul

jody1980:

shuttlespanker:

Wheel Nut:

Silver_Surfer:

shuttlespanker:

ive run to man d20 common rails a 55 and a 56. had the 56 nearly 3 year… been good very low maitainance… the new euro 4 440 i beleive the early1’s were burning valves out @ roughly 400k… good value for money… but i would consider a new premium with the volvo engine only heard a few probs with the wireing loom…

Keep the valves adjusted and they will never burn a valve…the tolerances with the overhead camshaft are critical in both the D20 & D26 engines. Unfortunately,it seems the valves are never adjusted during regular service…until they give trouble of course

Yes Harry I know he said that and he will still not get 9.25 and to make matters worse he will only be on pay 50% of the time .

Harry Monk:

robbo863:

[/quote]

Fully freighted with a bulk tipper I would expect to get somewhere between 7 and 8 mpg, empty I would expect about 11mpg so I wouldn’t say 9.25 mpg was unrealistic as an overall figure on undemanding roads if I was empty half of the time.

I would argue it because i have done it for a lot of years and experience tells me he wont get anywhere near.

1. if he is going to be running empty for half of the time then that will mean short distance local work(heavy on fuel both ways )
  2. if its distance then he will need to find return loads to make it pay.
    East yorks to liverpool/chesire reload back 8mpg is good.

Harry Monk:
Fully freighted with a bulk tipper I would expect to get somewhere between 7 and 8 mpg, empty I would expect about 11mpg so I wouldn’t say 9.25 mpg was unrealistic as an overall figure on undemanding roads if I was empty half of the time.

been away from the pc for a while but just a quick question for you all would you advise paying cash with the budget i have or usng that as a hefty deposit on something a bit newer and more expensive potentially around the 30-40k mark and is there any real benefit with more horses ie fh16 or scania v8 when running at 44 tons

simon

turnbull2012:
been away from the pc for a while but just a quick question for you all would you advise paying cash with the budget i have or usng that as a hefty deposit on something a bit newer and more expensive potentially around the 30-40k mark and is there any real benefit with more horses ie fh16 or scania v8 when running at 44 tons

simon

That’s an almost imposible question to answer as it’s totally subjective, personally I wouldn’t be thinking of a V8 of 16 litre Volvo for a first truck. They are potentially far to expensive to repair should they have a catastrophic engine failure, obviously we all hope not to have a breakdown of any sort but a major failur could finish you in the first year if you either havn’t prepared for it or your running a very expensive (to repair) truck. This also goes for sinking all your cash into a deposit on a £40+k truck, all good while it’s under warranty but if the engine fails after 9 months you’ll be on your own with a millstone of a financial commitment around ‘your throat’, the finance company won’t be interested in why you can’t make the monthly payment, just the fact that it’s late!!!

I’d buy what I can affford for a first start, good luck whatever you choose.

Ross.

What i would suggest is to buy something new enough so that your not going to be driving it all week and underneath it all weekend, leave some capital for you to get your payments coming in and try to stay away from the drip feed as much as possible, its all down to the individual, i personally wouldnt drive a heap, where as some people are more bothered about drawing as much as poss a week. :stuck_out_tongue:

off to look at and potentially buy an 04 xf480 superspace tomorrow but going to put it on traction for time been whilst i sort out getting wet kit obtained for it and getting all the paperwork in place to put it on bulk tipper later in yearfound one an hour away that has been well maintained and is at right sort of money so assuming it checks out to be as good as it appears should be parting with my pennies

simon

check to see if the head gaskets have been done, look for tell tale signs, water run marks down the side of the block

if it is manual, drive it through EVERY gear, there is a common problem with the synchros, first ones to go are 1/5 or 3/7