first misshap

cooper1203:
im looking for a decent road map with bridge heights weight limits etc and a decent scale. I realize im not going to get 8 inches to the mile. I have had a quick look at amazon and some mark narrow roads (less than 4 meters wide) and some have bridge heights etc. is there one that does everything what do people recommend. I have maps.me on my phone for assessing things and trying to find exact places. however the imperial setting does everything in feet rather than yards and it doesn’t recognise postcodes.

As I am doing the same drops over and over it would be useful to have a paper map I can scribble on.

any recommendations appreciated
coop

PM sent.

You’ll need more than one. As in the PM, a large Format London around 280mmx 380mm with large scale. A UK Bridge heights of similar size and a smaller London Street atlas. Large Format with a decent scale 4.2 inches to the mile will show all streets named and the central area at 8+ inches to the mile.

I generally write down the names of the two/three streets before the one I want as well.

I have this old edition as a smaller format Large scale, but you go off the page very quickly without much sense of overall location.

amazon.co.uk/Philips-EasyRe … b_image_bk

You don’t need a paper map. :grimacing:

adam277:
You don’t need a paper map. :grimacing:

Some would say you don’t NEED a sat nav either. :grimacing: …if you know what you’re doing.
:smiley:
But it makes the job a bit easier if you have.

I have a sat nav. I also have a map. But what I use most of all are my pair of eyes. If my sat nav tells me to turn left, I’ll look down the street and decide whether or not to follow it. If I dont, I’ll pull over and check google maps, more often than not, I make the right decision.

Most people call it “common sense”, but I think it’s been misnamed

cav551:

cooper1203:
im looking for a decent road map with bridge heights weight limits etc and a decent scale. I realize im not going to get 8 inches to the mile. I have had a quick look at amazon and some mark narrow roads (less than 4 meters wide) and some have bridge heights etc. is there one that does everything what do people recommend. I have maps.me on my phone for assessing things and trying to find exact places. however the imperial setting does everything in feet rather than yards and it doesn’t recognise postcodes.

As I am doing the same drops over and over it would be useful to have a paper map I can scribble on.

any recommendations appreciated
coop

PM sent.

You’ll need more than one. As in the PM, a large Format London around 280mmx 380mm with large scale. A UK Bridge heights of similar size and a smaller London Street atlas. Large Format with a decent scale 4.2 inches to the mile will show all streets named and the central area at 8+ inches to the mile.

I generally write down the names of the two/three streets before the one I want as well.

I have this old edition as a smaller format Large scale, but you go off the page very quickly without much sense of overall location.

amazon.co.uk/Philips-EasyRe … b_image_bk

I have ordered the one you recommended in the pm the other day and awaiting delivery. Yesterday I was round plumpsted Woolwich and Charlton and after walking to and from each place to find out where their delivery bay was by the end of the shift I was knackered and nearly out of hours through one thing and another. (poor me huh!)

Maybe im expecting too much but I keep getting myself into situations where I think I have chosen a good route as far as I can see on the satnav or looking through the windscreen and then I cant turn right where I wanted to or its a weight limit or 1 of 100 different things. the incident that started this thread the road I was on (commercial way) looked ok to start with but once half way along it got narrow and parked cars either side.

This whole thing was caused by inexperience and lack of knowledge and frustration at missing the turn at Vauxhall cross. had I kept going on the main drag (a23 I think) there would of been a main road I could of taken that would of brought me out onto the old/new kent road further down

who here would gp down this road in a 7.5 tonner

google.co.uk/maps/@51.47612 … 384!8i8192

no cheating and looking further down the road.

Nite Owl:
I have a sat nav. I also have a map. But what I use most of all are my pair of eyes. If my sat nav tells me to turn left, I’ll look down the street and decide whether or not to follow it. If I dont, I’ll pull over and check google maps, more often than not, I make the right decision.

+1

I’ll also add that alarm bells start ringing anytime my pratnav routes me down xxxxx lane

Nite Owl:

I’ve always said common sense was named ironically because it’s one of the rarest things out there

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

I use everything I can. It’s all quicker than filling in a form. We do some repeat work going to the same places which you get to know so can discount them to a point.

But for more random ones I’ll Google Map it and aso Tom Tom truck* it, then compare routes and if theres any difference I’ll look into why with a Truckers atlas if it’s a longer route. I then drop pins in my satnav so it takes me the way I want so I end up with a satnav that I’ve told what I want it to do that just takes me how I want it to take me and gives me traffic on route.

It’s still not foolproof so I also rely on my eyes for anything I may have missed. No end of times I’ve seen a weight restriction in a few miles but checking it out I end up going off somewhere before it.

People will say you’re a fanny for using a satnav or whatever but what’s wrong with using everything at your disposal, including your eyes?

*Tom Tom truck satnav bought in a deal which cost no more than the standard car variant

cooper1203:
who here would gp down this road in a 7 half tonner.

Some of us have to go down country single track back roads to farms in a 44 tonner
You just need to prepare better before you decide, and if you find you’ve ■■■■ ed up, think about your next move, and not make a bad situation even worse for yourself as you did in this case.

cooper1203:
who here would gp down this road in a 7.5 tonner

google.co.uk/maps/@51.47612 … 384!8i8192

youtube.com/watch?v=hOk0yA8NatU

Feel free to go to 6.29 :smiling_imp: :laughing:

sorry didn’t mean to make it sound like I was making excuses. I admit I ■■■■■■ up I was just asking for an experienced opinion if anyone of you guys would of gone down there in the first place.

From what you guys have said I have learnt as soon as I realised I had gone wrong I should of stopped as soon as I went off the beaten path at Vauxhall cross rather than trying to press on and second guess myself.

cooper1203:
sorry didn’t mean to make it sound like I was making excuses. I admit I [zb] up I was just asking for an experienced opinion if anyone of you guys would of gone down there in the first place.

From what you guys have said I have learnt as soon as I realised I had gone wrong I should of stopped as soon as I went off the beaten path at Vauxhall cross rather than trying to press on and second guess myself.

To be fair, when in London … if you see a bus stop on the road you are in … it’s fair to assume the road will be big enough for your truck to get through … and , more importantly … don’t be pressured on the road… end of the day it is your licence take your time and if in doubt get out and check before going through gaps …