First days of paid driving!

maneman:
Excellent thread.

I started solo on article tankers same week but Easter Monday and did five hard days tramping straight off. Phew! I was knackered at end of week but really enjoyed it more as the week went on. Reversing and parking up at night are the biggest challenges so far. Generally, other drivers and people one come into contact with at loading and unloading sites are very helpful especially when you tell them you’re new to the job etc.

Look forward to further updates from the missus as we all have to learn and why not together by sharing experiences.

Wow, that’s brave. I knew I’d never survive a straight week which is why I’ve started part time. I really need to build my stamina up first, and a few muscles! Absolutely, I use the ‘it’s only my 3rd/4th/5th’ day shamelessly but it helps. Even the grumpier ones crack a smile and are suddenly more patient with my extra time needed to get onto a bay or whatever.

Well Day 4, which was Sat 26/04 I was actually still stiff and sore from the Tuesday and didn’t really feel 100%. I had a 54 plate DAF XF, pretty tidy and just did a few local drops, one of which was Natures Way Merston which if you been round the back you’ll know what a pain getting on to bay 1 is. (Given that bays 2-4 are out of action there’s not much choice). I have some help from Phil at Philsons but it took me an age to get in place. Was sweating like a glassblower by the time it was in and then of course realised I’d forgotten the ■■■■ doors again! Pulled forward carefully to open them and got back without any fuss but having forgotten to open the doors a few times now I’m so much more conscious of them and getting them open in advance. I feel a bit bad a times though, given it’s often chilled stuff you don’t want to open them too early of course but you dob’t want to forget either!

I had a moment of lost focus later on and whilst crawling into a site I was concentrating on looking at where I should pull up to find out which bay I needed and completely forgot my trailer. I’m not the only one though as the gate post was badly bent already. There’s some sort of guide stones at the entrance which for some reason are on an angle and it looks like you can take a very different approach than what you need. That’s my excuse anyway. As I was crawling forward it was just a small scrape on the trailer and some paint added to the post. It was a schoolboy error and although I was a bit hard on myself there was no real harm done, my scrape was hidden amongst the others on the trailer although I was quick to admit it and point it out when I got back.

Being a quiet day there was less help loading and unloading so I was pretty much on my own. I felt a bit uncertain and did go and ask for some help when after fighting with a ratchet strap for 5 mins it wouldn’t play ball. Of course the minute I found help and showed him what it was doing it suddenly behaved making me look like a right ‘girl’! :confused: Oh well!

The customers seem to be hearing about me in advance, once site greeted me with ‘you must be Miss Lyons’ (Stuart Lyons Haulage) which I though was kinda nice.

Sat was only about 7 hrs, which was welcome given the disabled state of me.

Unfortunately it’s gone a bit quiet, I was hoping to be out Sun/Mon/Tues this bank hol weekend but only did Monday.

Day 5 was a pretty mammoth day if not a lot of ‘work’ in it. I was in an old W reg CF again, was told to pick up a loaded trailer from Runcton and take it to Funtington and to run back and forth all day or indeed to any of the other Natures Way site as they dictate. The was no loaded trailer for me, only an empty one and I was told there was probably one at Funt, so I headed over there solo (and so far, no I don’t like driving solo, feels awful, I prefer the weight of the trailer behind me, loaded or not to hold the whole thing down!) o find they had no trailers whatsoever! So back to Runcton to collect the empty one so Funt could fill it.

Now when I trained we never adjusted the unit height to pick up a trailer but I know it saves scraping grease everywhere so I lined myself up, dropped down a bit and back I went. Sounded fine although the big ‘click’ was much quieter. Did a wee pull forward and it felt right though. Got out to have a look to find the Spanish driver next to me eyeing the whole thing up. THANK GOD for him! I’d gone just low enough to gently overshoot the pin so the back of the fifth wheel was resting against the pin. (Didn’t bash the cab either as I stopped after the little ‘click’) So of course when I tugged it didn’t move and felt ok but had I set off… ugh, don’t even want to think about it!! My Spanish hero just pointed to it and shook his head, not having the English to communicate properly. Well, that’s an exercise I don’t want to repeat, fortunately he helped as the fifth wheel would not stay tilted the other way to get back under so he held it down whilst I got the right side of the pin and got it all back on track. The legs were pretty old and rusty and I could not possibly get them all the way up, so had to just get them as far as I could.

It was a long day - 06.00-20.30, a lot of it was waiting around to get onto bays/warehouses. I think the waiting can be more tiring than actually having an activity to do. Whilst on site I had a trailer safety inspection and was a bit ashamed that he found various light bulbs out. I had checked my taillights and indicators before setting off. I didn’t have any easy way to check my brake lights so had had to leave that out. But the running lights I didn’t look too closely, just that there was some. There should have been various bulbs lit in the shape of a chevron though sand there was only two on each side working in different places. One of my brake lights was out as it happened so that was immediately replaced.

My (very expensive) sat nav has been great, it can entertain me when waiting (TV/radio/music on SD) but it also gives me much more confidence on where I’m headed. Even if it’s a destination I know I still use it as if you have a ‘moment’ and can’t recognise something it’s there to set me straight. I do ask at sites though about recommended routes as my first two trips to Funtington I felt the route I took was just too tight even though it was not ‘restricted’ it was just more risky than I wanted. Sure enough I’d been coming up by a route that villagers didn’t really want to become a HGV run. There was an alternative which missed out most of the little villages and had much more room for passing other vehicles etc, I just need to get my satnav to store this info for next time but I haven’t really spent too much time with it yet figuring out its little features.

I’m very careful when driving to bring enough food and especially water with me. I always take a minimum of 2 litres with me, ideally 3 and get through them pretty much. Some of the 54 and onwards trucks have fridges built in which is so lovely. The brain requires hydration to work properly and if it’s not working at a decent level that’s when mistakes are made. My knees are getting a work out with the pedals and both shoulders, left from the gears and right from hoisting myself into cabs. It is getting a bit easier though, but given the long day yesterday I’m a little bit glad to have today off to recover.

I’ve learned so much already. Yes I’ve had mistakes and errors but so far (touch wood!) nothing serious. I’ve been using more analogue tachos than I had hoped for and have struggled at times to keep on top of my breaks. I don’t usually use a lot of driving time, just working time, so before I set off I write down the 6hr time by which I must have had one break, and I take notes throughout the day of the breaks I do take and my times on sites. This has proved so useful, especially for the couple of tachos I’ve had that didn’t work properly and didn’t record fully or as with yesterday at all! I infinitely prefer the digi tachos although I’ve only had them twice now. My confidence on road is growing. I still worry a tad on roundabouts when I have traffic on my nearside. My speeds are better though, I don’t slow quite so much for every roundabout as I used to. I’ve clipped the odd kerb which sometimes disappoints me, other times its a choice of nip the kerb or squeeze the traffic. My reversing has come on so much, I’m still so far from perfect as to be funny but nowhere near as bad as I feared I would be! In some ways the early days have been easier then I had expected but harder on me physically than I had thought they would be.

Forgot to say, got paid last Friday for my first days, I have not been as excited about a paycheck for decades. I mean it. I worked bloody hard for that money and I earned every last penny! One of my reasons for getting out of the office was I often don’t feel I have anything to show for my days efforts whereas with driving I can see what I am achieving with each delivery/collection. I was also worried about how much I’d loose as a second job in tax. It wasn’t as bad as I had feared.

Another good read it does get easier but you will still make mistakes but dont worry to much

Hope you have learnt something alway get out & check that you are the right hight for the pin I have in fact done the same so now alway check sometimes twice if not happy & yep it does make a slightly different sound to the normal click was talking to another driver in the yard he done this after 30 years of driving so now alway get out to check

Have reversed back & then got out to open doors at the back but not been able to at times as not enough room as trailers there so had to pull out to open like you I do fridge work so like to keep doors closed as long as possible

I did get a compliment last week 1 guy seen me climb out cab ( bearing in mind I am 4’ 10" so not the tallest ) looked then I reversed on the bay with 1 shunt :laughing: he then said as I was walking back to office " well that told me was a good reverse " also did receive another compliment when reversed onto a bay ok couple shunts but forkie said did better than most blokes as they struggle some actually give up we do go to a place Sheffield area that is a tight yard to turn then a blind side reverse under a canopy only 2 bays the easier bay normally has a standing trailer on so you have the harder bay to use or just for fun the gap is smaller than the 2 bays due to a wall being there :unamused: 1st time I went done it in 1 so was pleased to say the least

There are times I do misjudge things even though have been driving them over a year now yep getting better sometimes still take a while to reverse if it need it as dont see point in rushing

As for the bruises dont worry too much I had a nice 1 at the top of my arm this was due to pulling the pin out as I tend to use the trailer for some leverage at times but it is normally my left arm & I never hang my arm out the window when reversing as normally cant due to not being tall enough

There is a pic of me on here somewhere sitting in the cab at a delivery might have to ask shuttlespanker for it

Hiya
Glad to hear its going well sounds like your enjoying it which is a good sign the “omg what did I do this for” nerves are going.if you find yourself getting stressed or worked up if your late somewhere Stop have 5 mins out the cab walk about sounds silly 5 mins but clears your head.
As for missing the pin I always reverse up to the trailer feel the fifth wheel touch the trailer stop get out check the height adjust if I have to then reverse.Oh and everyone has done it even the grumpy ones on here who are older than gods dog who reckon they are “perfect” lol.

Jeff.

Missus.
If the roundabout is tight/narrow lanes, straddle the line to stop the Numpty’s creeping up the inside & take as much of the road as you need, just do it all slowly & in a controlled manor, checking all the mirrors, don’t try to race the Audi or Beemer that’s determined to get past you(no matter what) they can have all the road they want, once you’re clear of the roundabout/turning.
As long as you make normal steady progress, there’s not a thing they can complain about.

Keep it extra wide to miss the kerbs, once you’ve committed the front end round obviously the trailer will cut the corner.
It will all click into place soon & will make it a more relaxed drive.

Yea, its more on big roundies where there is sufficient room, where I should let them have their lane, I guess its just cause there is that one more thing to worry about, whereas when I can dominate the lanes I only have to worry about my vehicle. I suspect its just newbie nerves! To be honest though I’m not getting stressed or worrying too much, its been pretty chilled… Apart from the time my super Sat nav left me facing a low bridge or a 7.5tn restricted road! That did make me panic but I just pulled in, hazards on and made the phone call regardless of unhappy traffic behind, no other choice. Only had 75ft to bridge and less to turning for restricted road.

Its all good though, I’m learning from every day.

On long days I get back inmy wee Picanto and have to think really hard which way the gear stick should go to make it go! Feel like my arse is on the ground and my big booted feet too big for the littls pedals too! So strange!

I’m not rushing for anyone, it takes as long as it takes, I would be more mortified to rush a reverse and mash a bay canopy or mount the guides, I’m happy to take all the time I need. I make a joke of it at times but noone has been on my case so I see no need for me to be on it either :grimacing:

Hello again The Missus,

More very interesting additions to your thread and pleasing that you are making good progress.

I’m beginning to find reversing less of a challenge and always keep it slow and steady with most manoeuvres made going forward to get the tractor and trailer as straight as possible. Then it’s just a case of teasing it back gently, stopping to get out and check how far back is needed etc.
On one site I have to go to it’s very tight backing in with a slight bend to get all the way back, there’s nobody to help and I’ve mastered this quite well now but always approach with caution and take my time.

The blind side reverse is a different issue, fortunately the tractor units I’m driving all have electrically adjustable mirrors. Therefore, I adjust the n/s mirror which helps a little but once you lose sight of the rear of the trailer on harsher turns it becomes tricky. I just get out and assess the situation if there’s no help. The RHA sell a blind side reversing mirror aid that you position on the passenger sun visor that is supposed to help.

One thing I have noted with reversing artics is that one’s positioning at the beginning is vitally important, especially when things are tight but even when one has plenty of room it is imperative to adopt a sensible position to make things easier.
The other thing that causes issues are Tag axles and lift axles on trailers as this alters the wheelbase and hence the responsiveness/feel of the rig; I have both to contend with but I suppose it’s something you just have to get used to like different trailers.

One of our guys coupled up to a trailer missing the kingpin which gripped as in your case, at the front of the fifth wheel. He eventually drove off and at the exit he turned right and the trailer carried straight on. Not an issue I’d want to phone up the Transport Manager about and have to deal with :blush:

On big roundabouts I sometimes get into the wrong lane so I ensure I always indicate clearly my intentions and if necessary go round again and keep things real steady whilst watching them mirrors avidly and definitely don’t change lane unless its absolutely safe to do so. Usually other motorists give way but not always!

You are obviously enjoying artic driving and I am too as I gain more experience and every day I always learn something new.

Looking forward to your next posting.

I have found the easiest to reverse is defo the original position if you can get that right the rest is much easier I have put several shunts in so I can do this