First day on the new job tomorrow.........nervous or what?

gogzy:
great read spd, the iveco eurocargo is a pile of garbage, ive spent many nights out in one, not a low roof but a high roofed one.

everything about it is rubbish, the steering wheel cant be lowered, the seat is garbage, the dashboard OMG trying to reach the switch to lower the window arghhhh why cant you put the switch next to the window instead of in the middle of the truck■■?

and the gearbox is pants and the engine is totally gutless

LOL

These thoughts almost exactly mirror my own…Makes loads of sense to put the window switches on the dash…NOT!!

As for the gearbox; I know I’m am no expert, but trying to select a ‘cover gear’ to go round a roundabout’…nightmare!! 4th ‘too tall’ except on the really big ones and 3rd low enough that on the smaller ones I was itchin’ to change up by the time I was signalling for my exit…Did it a couple of times whilst tooling around Birmingham town centre, 'til I realised that I must have looked as busy as the proverbial 'one armed paper hanger in a windstorm!!"…Took Rog’s advice after that and left it alone… :open_mouth: But …horrible! Also felt like it needed at least one and possibly two more gears at the top of the box…sounded a bit frantic at 56 m.p.h on the M6!!

The other thing I noticed was that every time we hit the slightest bump everything in the cab and even the mirrors shook like a dog with palsy!! All at seemingly different frequencies! Sounded like somebody was rattling a huge tin can full of rocks too!

As for the seat… bottom cushion is way too short! I know that being 6’3" I am taller than your average bear, but FFS the end of it was hitting me less than half way along my thigh…After 2 hours or so my legs were getting numb, no matter what I did with the tilt!! Also, could not get the friction lock on the ‘air ride’ adusted properly. I was either getting hammered ‘on the ■■■■’ over bumps or bouncing up and down, doing my best ‘nodding dog toy’ impersonation!! I know that with the ‘super dooper’ do-it-all seat that is in the MAN, I am probably spoiled, but even a moderately comfortable van seat would have been better than that cobbled together PoS!! Who designs these things? They obviously don’t have to live and work with them!!

Like I said in my blog…not at all impressed!! :angry:

dieseldave:

Data Academy:
I don’t think there is a driver on the road who hasn’t forgot to open the bl***y doors.

Agreed. I’ll own up to that one… :blush:

Data Academy:
Or jumps in a rigid pops it in reverse sticks it on opposite lock and thinks where the F**** this going.

And that one… :blush:

:open_mouth: And things far worse too… :blush: :blush: :blush:

This puts me in mind of the saying that he who hasn’t made a mistake hasn’t made anything. :smiley:

LOL

Reckon I’m very productive then…'coz I’ve made loads!! :open_mouth:

LOL

Cheers for the kind words!

Data Academy:
Keep up the good work your descriptions of your day’s will remind every driver (if they are honest) what it was like when they first started out, and take some of the fear away for new drivers thinking they are the only one evr to make a mistake.

This industry needs enthusiastic new drivers.

I don’t think there is a driver on the road who hasn’t forgot to open the bl***y doors.

Or jumps in a rigid pops it in reverse sticks it on opposite lock and thinks where the F**** this going.

Cheers mate!!

That’s nice to know…and oddly reassuring!

LOL

Got an interesting load tomorrow morning…16 huge rubber ‘tank type tracks’…1/2 tonne each!! :open_mouth: Quite how we’re gonna get 'em in the back and evenly loaded, I am not too sure! :confused: And…given the state of the farm where we transfer them, I think it may be even more interesting getting them out!

Another steep ‘learning curve’ coming up, methinks!!..Might make for an ‘interesting’ tale tomorrow night…guess we’ll see!

LOL

:smiley: Well i’ll be waiting, brew in hand!

spd0121:

dieseldave:
This puts me in mind of the saying that he who hasn’t made a mistake hasn’t made anything. :smiley:

LOL

Reckon I’m very productive then…'coz I’ve made loads!! :open_mouth:

LOL

Cheers for the kind words!

Hi spd0121, The words are all true!!

You can be forgiven for mistakes that you’ve made, or are about to make, because you’re on a learning curve.
I’m still on a learning curve, as is everybody else whether they care to admit it or not, but some of my ‘mistakes’ were made or still made after 25+ years in the game. :blush:

You don’t have much to worry about, -honestly. :wink:

I got to thinking in my own way about the subject of mistakes and came up with the following German saying:

Wer arbeitet, macht Fehler,
wer viel arbeitet, macht viele Fehler,
wer keine Fehler macht, arbeitet nicht und ist ein Faulenzer

My own Google-free translation of this is:
Whoever works makes mistakes,
Whoever does a lot of work makes many mistakes
Whoever makes no mistakes doesn’t work and is [therefore] a lazy git.

OK, so the other German speakers on the site will spot that a little translating ‘licence’ has been used, but it is accurate nevertheless. :grimacing:

LOL

Brilliant!!

Cheers!! :smiley:

a great read spd :slight_smile: keep up the good work

Simon FYI

IVECO

It
Vibrates
Everything
Comes
Off

garnerlives:
Simon FYI

IVECO

It
Vibrates
Everything
Comes
Off

very true in my experience :stuck_out_tongue: of all the trucks I’ve driven since passing in may last year, the Daf’s have been by far the most comfortable and user friendly.

spd0121:

Data Academy:
Keep up the good work your descriptions of your day’s will remind every driver (if they are honest) what it was like when they first started out, and take some of the fear away for new drivers thinking they are the only one evr to make a mistake.

This industry needs enthusiastic new drivers.

Cheers mate!!

That’s nice to know…and oddly reassuring!

LOL

Got an interesting load tomorrow morning…16 huge rubber ‘tank type tracks’…1/2 tonne each!! :open_mouth: Quite how we’re gonna get 'em in the back and evenly loaded, I am not too sure! :confused: And…given the state of the farm where we transfer them, I think it may be even more interesting getting them out!

Another steep ‘learning curve’ coming up, methinks!!..Might make for an ‘interesting’ tale tomorrow night…guess we’ll see!

LOL

It’s called a fork lift,

bugger that rolling game.

Need another coffee at the thought.

Mind you I am a lazy sod strong preferance to being a trailer Jocky, guess I spent too long droping and picking up trailers.

Now which way do I turn this wheel again? sod it have a coffee first want a tea Dave?

Well…what a day!! :open_mouth:

Got to the yard a 06:30, opened up…unlocked wagon…gear in the bunk…night heater…key in ignition…jump out to check the fluids etc. before cranking and completing the ‘dailies…door swings shut and I hear…‘click…clunk’…No; Surely not■■?..But, Oh yes!!..The friggin’ central locking had locked me out!! :open_mouth: Frantically checked N/S door…No go - Locked tighter 'n a ducks ■■■■!!..“Oh Dearie me!”…or words to that effect! LOL

Call TM…“Guess what!”…proceed with explanation…“Wasn’t anything I did Guv…Honest!” I think I hear him choking :open_mouth: …turns out he was trying his utmost not to laugh…“Yeah, we’ve had that problem with a couple of our MAN ‘artic’ units in the past couple of months…To be honest we were wondering, amongst ourselves, just how long it would be 'til yours did it to you!”…Charming!! :unamused:

“Hold tight. Will get on the blower to Hill Hire and have them drop off the spare key. Call you right back”…“Cheers Boss!” What a way to start what was gonna be a long day anyway! :unamused:

45 agonising minutes later…“Hello mate. Errrrm…Minor glitch…Apparently the spare keys to that unit are in Northampton!!..Be back to you in a few minutes.” WTF!!

Finally he calls back…“Right…Hill Hire has an 18 tonne ‘curtainsider’ in Spalding…Nip up there and pick it up…Should not be too much of a delay as your ‘track pickup’ is just around the corner from their depot. They will sort the key situation by the end of the day.”

“Roger…Wilco!” And off to Spalding we trot. Pick up the wagon and park Rob’s car in their yard…

Literally around the corner is the Agricultural Equipment dealer where we are scheduled to pick up the tracks…So, off we go…

Loads of room to swing round in their yard…that makes a change…and pull up beside the pile of ‘tracks’. Blimey they look heavy and awkward! :open_mouth: I open up the curtain and a nice fella shows up and jumps into a ‘Reach truck forklift’…“have these loaded for you in a jiffy, mate!”…Nice one!! For axle weight reasons we decide upon six towards the front and the remaining ten over the rear axle…

It is 9:15 by now and by 9:30 the front six are loaded…“Jolly good”, I say to Rob. “We can still be out of here by 10:00 and should be able to make the rest of the day work out”.

09:30:01 The ‘Reach Truck’ shuts down with it’s forks under track number 7 and out jumps the fella!..Seeing my bemused expression, he says, “Tea break mate.” I swear you could hear a simultaneous cacophony of clangs as tools were downed all over the huge workshop!! Off to the canteen they all bugger…lined up like ducklings in a row!..LOL

To be fair, he did make us a lovely cuppa and tell us to “Join us in 'ere mate…Luvvly and warm!”…So in we trudge!

20 minutes later they ‘waddle’ out in ones and twos…much more slowly than they went in…LOL

By 10:30 the remaining 10 ‘tracks’ are loaded and I fasten the curtain and give them the bill for £1400!! :open_mouth: They don’t even bat an eyelid! “How much do these things cost new?”, I ask one of the salesmen hanging around…just over £5000 a piece he says…Blimey!!

Anyway…The bill is sorted, paperwork complete and away we go…On the way out I pass a stack of brand new tracks all nice and neatly folded and ‘palletised’…“Wouldn’t it have been nice if these were like that?”, I say to Rob…“No chance mate…we could’nt be that friggin’ lucky!”…I get the feeling that he is not a totally happy chappy and that discontent may be brewing on Planet Rob!!..Little did I know :open_mouth: …Sometimes, I hate it when I’m right!!..Not that it happens that often, mind you…

LOL

The farm is only 9 miles away so we arrive there by about 10:45.Park it sideways to allow the reach truck easy access and wait for our yardman to unload…And wait…And wait…And wait some more… :confused:

Eventually, after much ‘faffing around’, he decides what he wants to do and starts unloading…

An hour and a half later…FFS!!..He’s still at it!!..He does’nt want to get them “muddy”…The whole yard is 6" deep in the stuff for God’s sake!!..

Finally; after making a sort of ‘nest of pallets’ for them he finishes offloading and we button up and head to Norwich for two pickups (About 150 and 200 tyres respectively say the ‘sheets’)…It is now about 1:00 and Norwich is 81 miles and almost 2 hours away…And then we are supposed to go to Bury (46 miles from Norwich and then 80 miles back to the farm) and pick up 250 more

By now Rob is getting ‘pink edges’ on his ears and I fear an ‘erruption’ is brewing…LOL

We reach the first pickup in Norwich at 2:50. During the ride, he is definitely ‘steaming’!!..“What time you reckon we’ll get done?”, he asks through tightly gritted teeth!..“I reckon 30 mins to load these…20 mins to second pickup…45 mins to load…1 hour to Bury…45 mins to load… two hours backto the farm…An hour to unload then 20 mins to Spalding to turn in the truck.” I reply. “That’ll put us back in Hill Hire’s yard by about 10:15 to 10:30”. I add, bracing for the explosion!!..

And Oh Boy did he ever!..10 mins later, I had heard extensive coverage of the suspect parentage of the TM’s and anatomically interesting places where the job and the truck could be inserted along with various other extreme ■■■■■■ practices that could be practised by said TM’s…Wife going ape…missing of baby daughter…quality of family life being relegated to nothing…more ■■■■■■ practices…more about grief from the ‘trouble and strife’…worringly bizarre ■■■■■■ innovations and habits of various company personell…You get the idea!! I think he actually took a breath or two somewhere in there, but by God it wasn’t many!!..LOL

Of course, me being me; I just had to say, in my best Michael Winner voice, “Calm down Dear…”

Oh crap!!..Mistake!!.. Aaaaaand…Off we went again…“Calm down my ■■■!! My wife…The TM…No mention of 'slavery at the interview!!”…various and sundry cusswords…

Cupping my hands round my mouth, I yell…“WHOA NELLY!!!”…He stops mid-rant…The silence is almost deafening! LOL

I calmly explain to him that I cannot work beyond 9:30 and that I can only do that sort of day twice in a week…regulations…tacho laws…blah de blah de blah…“We will not be going to Bury.”, I tell him. “We will have to get that one tomorrow.” I say that we’ll finish the pickups in Norwich then head back to the farm and then Hill Hire to pickup his car…Should be there no later than 7:00 pm at the latest. Not so bad hey?

He calms down a bit…We ‘hustle’ and chuck the tyres on in about 20 mins…Not…150 but 235!! :unamused: …Sort out paperwork and zip off to the second pickup in Norwich. We arrive at about 3:30…Lo and behold, it’s not 200, but 300+ tyres…Vesuvius begins to ‘rumble’ anew…

Sorry guys, Too knackered to finish tonight. Will write Part two ‘The rest of the story’ tomorrow evening…If y’all wanna hear it!

Assuming I m not killed in another eruption tomorrow, that is!! :open_mouth:

LOL

Night

well its a good job you didnt get pulled over by vosa unsecured load that is what they would has said about them track with no straps on it well everybody has to learn somewere so you need you boss to get you some straps before you get points on you licence chap :unamused: :wink: :stuck_out_tongue: :angry: :cry:

i was going to ask myself actually how you secure a load in a curtainsider as i haven’t driven one of those yet.

but keep the blog comming its a great read and nice pics. im jealous :smiley:

joedwyer1:
i was going to ask myself actually how you secure a load in a curtainsider as i haven’t driven one of those yet.

generally you have pallets on a curtain (not always but most of the time) and the bar running along the middle of the roof has those straps hanging down tbh though they are pretty useless imo.

spd should have been provided with straps for those tracks just to keep it from moving if nothing else.

joedwyer1

WELL IF I WAS YOU KEEP DOING PLUMING IF YOU CANT SEE HOW TO STRAP THE LOAD ON OPEN BOTH CURTIANS PUT YOUR STRAPS OVER THEN PULL UP WITH RACHET SO THAT HOW ITS DUN TAKE A LOT OF WORKING OUT

allright allright. no need to shout! just asked the question to learn something. and i will keep on doing the plumbing thanks

joedwyer1:

Never be afraid to ask a question if you don’t know the answer remember no question is stupid when all you want to do is gain knowledge you didn’t already have.

The fool is the one who doesn’t ask the question and thinks he knows it all, he has the accident or worst of all manages to kill someone.

No one was born with knowledge or experience we gain it as we go through life and continue to do so until we die.

If any one knows any different then please tell me as I don’t know because what may be obvious to one may not be to anther.

Guys, guys, guys…I may have been born at night…but it was not last night!!

The pic was taken before all the tracks had been loaded…In the meantine we strapped the tracks down using heavy duty webbing ratchet straps, through the tracks and over the top also. If I remember right we used a total of 24 straps…Looked like a bloody spiders web it did!! :open_mouth: But; I was not gonna take a chance on those bloody things going anywhere!!..LOL

I may be ‘new’ and make some silly ‘newbie’ mistakes…But I am not a complete dumbass!!.. :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: LOL

I did not give a second by second ‘blow by blow’ account of everthing single thing I did…My posts are long enough now; without that…Dontcha think??..LOL

Anyway…Part two to follow…

You have been warned!!

:stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

LOL

Kettles boiling again :sunglasses:

spd0121:
Guys, guys, guys…I may have been born at night…but it was not last night!!

The pic was taken before all the tracks had been loaded…In the meantine we strapped the tracks down using heavy duty webbing ratchet straps, through the tracks and over the top also. If I remember right we used a total of 24 straps…Looked like a bloody spiders web it did!! :open_mouth: But; I was not gonna take a chance on those bloody things going anywhere!!..LOL

I may be ‘new’ and make some silly ‘newbie’ mistakes…But I am not a complete dumbass!!.. :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: LOL

I did not give a second by second ‘blow by blow’ account of everthing single thing I did…My posts are long enough now; without that…Dontcha think??..LOL

Anyway…Part two to follow…

You have been warned!!

:stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

LOL

im sure 6 straps would have been enough for it tbh if they were heavy duty ones, ive looaded worse with less straps lol.