First day on the new job tomorrow.........nervous or what?

OllieNotts:
Its like the diary of adrian mole and he just become a lorry driver :stuck_out_tongue: :laughing:
Good read though, nice to have a mate sometimes but I prefer being on my own now I like my own space and no one making my cab dirty lol.

Never having read Adrian Mole; I am not sure whether that’s an insult or a compliment! :open_mouth:

LOL

Anyhoo…Thanks for the kind comments guys.

Day two ‘MOTS’ and absolutely brilliant!! I know, I know, it’s very early days yet but I am REALLY liking this!! :smiley:

Another tight reverse today…loved it! No ‘Pit Bulls’ tho’! LOL

Slightly longer runs today, including some Motorway…I get flashed in and thanked for flashing others in!! Wahey!! They no longer ignore me like they did in the 7.5 tonners!

I guess I must really exist after all! :wink:

LOL

Won’t bore you with a long ‘blow by blow’ like yesterday’s. As already stated, loved it!

Even got a ‘Tenner’ drink and a lovely cuppa at one of the pickups!..Blimey! Probably means I met one of the very few individuals that realises that ‘Lorryists’ are real people too!

Finally sorted the Digi-Tacho too… …The only bloody button I had not tried pushing solved the problem!! Figures. :unamused:

Feel like a real ‘numpty’ :open_mouth: …based upon the thread in the Pro Drivers forum; I reckon that means I really do belong in Norfolk!! :open_mouth:

LOL

Keeping some notes and takin some pics; so will post a blog at the weekend with an overview of the ‘highs and lows’ if you like!

I’ll tell you what tho’…handballing 1000+ tyres every day, I’m gonna have ‘Lats’, ‘Pecs’ and ‘Traps’ like Arnie!! So, guess it only remains for me to say…

Hasta la vista Baby…I’ll be back!!

Here’s just a couple of quick piccies of my ride!

Now you know what to look for…and give a wide berth!!

LOL

Told the TM today that I was gonna take the keys home with me and that this is now ‘my wagon’. His reply?..Suits me; take care of it! :smiley: :smiley:

Happy days…

Off to bed now as I’m ‘cream crackered’ again!

LOL

Keep up the good work mate.

I used to deliver new tyres around Devon and Cornwall, 20 - 30 drops a day :open_mouth:

Certainly a good job to keep you fit.

Youre gonna need the waterproofs though after every dog in town has peed in the old tyres stacked outside. :laughing:

I’m glad you’re enjoying your new job.

Very impressed with the sparkling appearance of your ride. :sunglasses:

nice ride you have there, and nice you get to keep taht as your ride. those mans are nice to drive though not too keen on automatics, i had a 7.5 tonner version of that with an auto box, blooming useless, got stuck in a truckstop and got laughed at by all the big boys int heir artics cause i couldnt get this lil puddle jumper out…until they realised it was an auto and i got a hand to push it out.

5 folk aat the back pushing it lol.well the ground was snow lol

spd0121:
Here’s just a couple of quick piccies of my ride!

When are you getting the licence so you can take the trailer :question:

will the company help you out with it :question:

Rog wrote:-

When are you getting the licence so you can take the trailer

He won’t want to give up his nice 07 plate for old artic, maybe!

BTW spd0121 is your hair really that colour - maybe we could all get that colour and it woould save us having a trucknet sticker in the window! :laughing:

ROG:

When are you getting the licence so you can take the trailer :question:

will the company help you out with it :question:
[/quote]

Think I’m gonna give it 2 or 3 months, in order to get some more experience first. Then I figure I will take a bit of my holiday allowance and go for it. :smiley:

As for the company helping out, I dunno. Think I need to give it a few weeks before I mention it! LOL Fancy being my Trainer? LOL

Smart Mart:

Rog wrote:-

When are you getting the licence so you can take the trailer

He won’t want to give up his nice 07 plate for old artic, maybe!

BTW spd0121 is your hair really that colour - maybe we could all get that colour and it woould save us having a trucknet sticker in the window! :laughing:

What a great idea!! really shows up from a distance!!! Plenty of time to see so that we can wave and flash hello!

LOL

Sadly tho’ my hair is no longer that colour. It’s back to it’s bog-standard ‘salt and pepper’ grey!! :frowning:

I only had it that colour to take part in the ‘Edinburgh Moonwalk’ last June for Walk the Walk; a breast cancer charity.

I would be quite happy to dye it again tho’ if everybody else wants to as well!! Let me know.

LOL

allikat:
Nicely done mate. And it seems you have half the techniques down pat already :smiley:
The most important tip for driving with a sat-nav, is to know when to ignore the thing, and you seem to have that one sorted.
It’s also nice to hear about people running round my old stomping ground of Norwish. Kepp up the good work. I may be down that neck of the world sometime. Any jobs going? :laughing:

Thanks Allikat! :smiley:

After the Satnav’s performance today, I think I’m gonna tell my mate to bin it!! LOL

I spent most of the time ignoring it, as It tried to turn me the wrong way down several one way streets and take me through loads of ‘weight restricted’ areas!! Fortunately, I knew that particular area well, went my own way and so there were no dramas!

I think I’m gonna stick with the old ‘Mark 1 Eyeball’ and proper maps!!

LOL

As for the jobs situation, I asked the TM today and was told that, yes, the company is still going to open two new depots and yes, they will be hiring sometime in the next, and I quote, " 3 or 4 weeks"… I’ll let you know something, as soon as I hear

Apparently we will be called something else as well, but when I asked what; I was told that that is currently one of those, “If I told you, I’d have to kill you” type things and that it was on a “Need to know basis and you don’t need to know!!” :open_mouth:

LOL

Just a quick further word of warning to y’all…

I am no longer operating solely in East Anglia! :open_mouth:

I have been prowling the ‘wilds’ of Bedfordshire and Northamptonshire today !!

Will be doing the same Monday. Tuesday…

Who knows?..So;…

Y’all be careful now; Ya hear?

LOL

Well folks another snowy day in west Norfolk! Took an hour to get to Wisbech this a.m. Don’t know where the gritters and plows were last night, or what they were doing; but they certainly did not go anywhere near the A1101 from Downham to Wisbech!! LOL

Anyway…arrive at the yard at 7:15 for a 07:30 showtime…30 mins later and still no Robert! Phone rings…“Hi mate. Can’t get my little car (Toyota MR2) out of the driveway! Gonna see if the missus is stayin’ home today. If she is, I will try her car. It’s an Audi and it’s front wheel drive!”…“No worries; just give me a bell to let me know”. He lives in a tiny village in the North Fens about 15 mins away on a normal day, so I figure it may be 40 mins or so 'til he arrives.

So; night heater on…Preflight check…complete!..40 mins later phone rings…“No joy yet. Road is a sheet of pure ice and cars are going every which way but forwards!”

Talk to the TM…“How about I go out on my own; do all that I can and Rob and I pick up any slack tomorrow or even come in Saturday morning to finish up if necessary?”…“Let me think about it for a minute”, sez he. He gets on the phone to Rob…

30 mins later decision is made to bin it for the day…Cost of operating the truck v. pickups possible by one man v. wages v. fuel etc., etc., etc!

So; Disappointed, I shut 'er down and head home…

Thought I’d take the time to give y’all a quick review of my almost two weeks worth of experience…LOL

After last Tuesday and Wednesdays successful forays; The rest of the week went pretty ■■■■ well too…There were a couple of ‘steep learning curve’ moments tho’. Primarily; Never, ever. trust the customer to know whether it is possible to get your wagon into their premises and turned around again to get out!! It’s always, and I mean always, “Yeah, no problem mate!” Just another way of them saying “We’ve had bigger than that in here driver!” I reckon…LOL

Two cases in point:

Thursday, we had a pickup in Ely. Well; I know Ely quite well and am aware that almost all of the town itself is 7.5 tonne weight limited once you turn off the main drag. So I call the customer, “Can I get my truck in there ok?”…“Yes mate. No probs. Oh and by the way, you got room for more tyres than scheduled? I thought there was about a hundred, but looking at it again, there is probably more like 200!”…“No problem”, says I, thinking to myself, "Brilliant!! Twice the money for the pickup…The boss’ll love this!"So into Ely we trundle along the A142, past Tesco’s roundabout to the next, left turn…Hold up!! What’s this? Max Weight 7.5 tonnes!! Crap!! Signal right…Round the roundabout…“Oops, sorry mate!”…Into Tesco’s filling station…park up! Call the geezer…“What about the weight limit?”…“Never stopped you guys before.”, sez he…Call to the TM…“Yeah…Well…We always sent the 7.5 tonner before. It never occured to me it might be weight restricted. Can you just have a quick mosey up the road and let me know the situation?”…Righto :unamused:

Robert and I walk up the hill and look. Find out that the weight restriction starts literally 10 yards or so past the turning to the blokes business!! :unamused: …“Mind you”, I say to Robert, “That is a tight turn and that street looks pretty ■■■■ narrow!” Cars parked up on the kerb down both sides too!!..Based upon my vast experience, I decide that we can get down there…LOL

Back to the truck; fire 'er up and off we go…Swing into the turning…slowly…LOL…Yes!..Ease slowly down the street…At least 8" each side…■■■■ I’m good!..LOL…Then we get to his yard! :open_mouth: Straight in entry, but big enough to turn around in?..Maybe; If it wasn’t for the 50 or so cars in there!! FFS! And…the mountain of tires is at the far end of the yard…No way to get them down the sides of the wagon…Nuts!

Nothing for it then…I send Robert back to the main road to stop anyone turning into the street and slowly back up 500 yards or so. Robert stops the traffic and I swing back into the road, pull up the hill a few yards (crossing the weight restriction limit - reckon I’ll get done? LOL) and reverse back into the street and all the way back to the yard; then into the yard and put the tail end about 5 feet from the tyres…Finally!!..LOL Lesson learned!!.. :blush:

Oh yeah…his 100, then about 200 tyres, turned out to be 368!! So; at least it was a very profitable pick up!!..And the guys face when we pulled into the yard!! “That’s a lot bigger than what they normally send!!” :open_mouth: …No kidding!! LOL

And then:

Yesterday; Get sent to pickup “30 or so” heavy truck and “20 odd” tractor tyres from a farm on the fens. A really good pickup as they pay so much more than car tyres. Call the bloke to get directions which he duly gives me, in great detail!! Good stuff! One of the directions was, “When you reach ********* Farm turn right onto a gravel road and follow it for 4.5 miles along the dyke, past **** Transport and it will bring you right into the back of our yard, saving you about 8 or 9 miles going around the roads.” I remind him that I am in an 18 tonne truck. “No problem. We bring big tractors and even ‘artics’ that way all the time. It’s a really good road. Very smooth and almost arrow straight except for one small dog-leg. You won’t have any trouble. I promise!”

Righty Ho then…off we trot.

Get to the aforementioned gravel road and, other than looking a bit narrow, with ditches tight to both sides, it does look ok. So in we turn…Trundle along…Blimey, it’s smoother then the tarmac!..Lovely!!..Only about 6" of gravel on either side with a narrow grass verge and the ditches tho’…We pass a turn to the right, at 2.5 miles and see the phone mast, just as described…Good stuff…“Isn’t it nice when somebody gives good directions?”, I say to Rob…“Yeah,” he says, “wouldn’t wanna have to reverse back down this would ya’!”…LOL…“No I wouldn’t mate!”…More laughs…

2 miles later and about 500 yards from the farm buildings…What the hell is that?..A gate?.. :open_mouth: …“Hope it’s not locked!”…More laughs…

Oh Crap!!..It is locked!..WTF?!..Call the bloke…“Oh yeah, Ha ha. Forgot about that…ha ha…ermmm, I’ll just go find the Guvna’ and get the key…Be right with ya!”…

10 mins later…call the bloke…"Oh…ermmm…aaahhh…err…Sorry mate. Hate to tell you this, but the Guv’s gone to Spalding…won’t be back for a couple of hours. Can you back out of there alright and come round by road?..

%$+!!!%**%&$!!!%%$"!!!..

So we then, very carefully, reversed for 2 miles back to the turnoff…Ha bloody ha, my ■■■!!! :imp:

LOL

Lesson learned…AGAIN!! :blush:

LOL

Anyway…Other than a couple of delays caused by a major accident on the A1M and having to find some really obscure places and; One day where a screwup at the office meant that every single one of our pickup sheets had wrong addresses, postcodes and phone numbers; the rest of the last couple of weeks has been …in a word…Brilliant! I even really enjoyed trundling around in the snow on Monday…Just took it really steady.

Can’t really overstate how much I am loving it!!

To all you old hands, the respect I already had for y’all all has gone up many, many notches. And; I can definitely understand why you have done it for so long. And to the other ‘Newbies’ (just like myself) and ‘Wannabes’; I would say; Stick with and don’t give up. When you do finally get to do it, you’ll love it too! I am sure!

Incidentally; I literally just got off the phone to one of our TM’s…He is really pleased with the way things are going and is making noises about putting on more wagons and hiring some more drivers…If you don’t mind the idea of ■■■■■■■ tyres for a couple of hours per day on average,(believe me, it does wonders for the old chest, back and arm muscles! And the ‘abs’! LOL ) and can reasonably reach the Wisbech or Spalding areas and are interested, let me know. I would be more than happy to put in some names.

Going to the Seaside tomorrow. :smiley: If I see anything interesting, will post some piccies…

Thanks again for putting up with the long, long ramble…

Cheers,

Simon

Hi Si, enjoyed your post, gives us wannabees a good insight, Thanks.

Regards

jeezo

Carpe Diem

Yet another enjoyable diary - well done :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

good read i for one am not getting TYRED of them :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Thanks guys!! You’re making me blush! :blush:

LOL

I forgot to mention when rattling on about the possibility of upcoming jobs; that, obviously…they will take on ‘Newbies’ :smiley: …I mean they took me on didn’t they?

Dunno if that makes 'em brave, kind, desperate or possibly even…

Nuts?

LOL

Its good to read your new experiences we some times forget what we all go through when we start out.

Good on ya buddy sounds like youve made the driver you wanted to be keep drinking the coffee, though I still prefer Columbian

By the way if you ever find yourself in Leicester the coffee pots always on. :smiley:

Funnily enough, the TM mentioned Leicester as a possibility for next week. Will pm you when I know and possibly take you up on a cuppa! I love Colombian too! Only reason I stick with the French really is that it is a such strong brew!! Not that i’m an addict or anything…I can go at least 26 1/2 minutes between cups! :unamused:

It definitely won’t be Tuesday, as I will be going back to Norwich to ■■■■ off the Pit Bull again!! Mind you: he might not be around…when I was in there this Tuesday, the trailers had burnt to a crisp!! Only a blackened hulk remained!! Insurance job…do ya reckon? Wonder if the ‘hellhound’ made it?

LOL

spd0121:
Funnily enough, the TM mentioned Leicester as a possibility for next week.

OH-NO :exclamation: :exclamation: :open_mouth:

OOOOOOOOOOOH YES!!

…cue the Jaws theme music…

Just when you thought it was safe to get back on the road!!!

LOL