First day of training!

Keep at it buddy…You can obviously drive, but with bad habits…I think we all go into this training having forgotten about our car training :smiley: I certainly did! After a couple of days of your instructor will be driving out those bad habits then it is all going to come together.

Your instructor might seem to you harsh about the whole mirror business, but you will get used to. As you get more used to driving the vehicle mental capacity will increase to think about the mirrors more and more and things going on further ahead and around you. I struggles to acknowledge road signs during the first 6 hours because there was to much else to think about and learn.

Another thing…has your instructor ONCE said to you that you are to slow setting off at roundabouts or traffic lights? I guess the answer is NO. Do not worry about how much time it takes for you to do things safely. DON’T be intimidated by those behind you. On my test I nearly stalled, but saved it. Even though I saved it I still dealt with the situation as though I had stalled, and I was not marked down for it even though I missed the green.

Yes you will be nervous before your test, I certainly was. But once I engaged in a bit a chat with the examiner I calmed down and realised he was just a guy doing a job and so was I :slight_smile:

Stick with it…I’m sure more tips to follow

jonesy1985:
Keep at it buddy…You can obviously drive, but with bad habits…I think we all go into this training having forgotten about our car training :smiley: I certainly did! After a couple of days of your instructor will be driving out those bad habits then it is all going to come together.

Your instructor might seem to you harsh about the whole mirror business, but you will get used to. As you get more used to driving the vehicle mental capacity will increase to think about the mirrors more and more and things going on further ahead and around you. I struggles to acknowledge road signs during the first 6 hours because there was to much else to think about and learn.

Another thing…has your instructor ONCE said to you that you are to slow setting off at roundabouts or traffic lights? I guess the answer is NO. Do not worry about how much time it takes for you to do things safely. DON’T be intimidated by those behind you. On my test I nearly stalled, but saved it. Even though I saved it I still dealt with the situation as though I had stalled, and I was not marked down for it even though I missed the green.

Yes you will be nervous before your test, I certainly was. But once I engaged in a bit a chat with the examiner I calmed down and realised he was just a guy doing a job and so was I :slight_smile:

Stick with it…I’m sure more tips to follow

You’re right, the answer is “NO” but I have been told to put my foot down when exiting on 3rd or 4th esits, as I was holding traffic up and getting undertaken!

Can I just ask how your approaches to roundabouts are/was? What do you do? What gears do you engage? What specific moments do you look in the mirrors whilst entering and exiting on roundabouts? I just could not get the bad habit of basically coasting out of my head!

@ Paul - “Think positive” that’s what my missus said to me earlier when I came in with a disappointed look on my face!

Tomorrow is another day, hopefully things will start to fall into place (or into my brain) and I’ll be able to drive without my instructor saying a word! (he claims as long as he is quiet, then I’m doing everything right)

Ah yes, true that you don’t want to be holding up folks in this example. However, I was told to pick a speed and stick to it. You don’t want to be making a gear change whilst you are picking your lane and steering. Just be steady.

For me (and maybe it is make/model dependant) I found that the best way was get the speed down early in 4th/5th (preferably 5th) and roll up making all round observation and if clear just continue in that gear. 5 and 6 are the working gears on the truck I used and would pull away in those gears at 10mph. As soon as I knew I was going to slow down I checked the mirrors, and kept checking them as I approached in case their were idiots waiting to cut in front of me. Obviously if you stop at round about/lights check left then right mirror, blind spot and then left mirror again. You should have already preselected the gear you need to move on, ideally you have slowed down to a stop in that gear so it is all ready, handbrake on, always handbrake on when coming to complete stop. Get the bite of the clutch, and give plenty of gas and off you go. My tip is even if there is a tiny incline or a chance you might roll back then select 2nd and block change to 4th gear once your moving. Better chance to get going :wink: One more thing, if turning right always remember to check your left mirror to check the tail-swing (and vis versa).

Endgame, it actually sounds like you’re doing well. It’s a huge change from cars so it will feel like you’re all over the place.

The main thing for test day is to try and relax a bit.

Your instructor may seem a tad harsh here and there but it actually makes it sink in and you’ll remember it longer.

Mirrors, you can never over mirror, if in doubt, check your mirrors. I felt like a sideways nodding dog but it paid off.

Junction approaches and gear selection were hard for me too, but it does sink in and it does get easier.be

Training-wise you’ll surprised how much you do learn in those few days. I didn’t think I’d pass my class 2 after such a short time but was pleased when I did. Just remember your instructors voice in your head and think what would he say here and you’ll be ok. :slight_smile:

Good luck for test day!

TheMissus:
Endgame, it actually sounds like you’re doing well. It’s a huge change from cars so it will feel like you’re all over the place.

The main thing for test day is to try and relax a bit.

Your instructor may seem a tad harsh here and there but it actually makes it sink in and you’ll remember it longer.

Mirrors, you can never over mirror, if in doubt, check your mirrors. I felt like a sideways nodding dog but it paid off.

Junction approaches and gear selection were hard for me too, but it does sink in and it does get easier.be

Training-wise you’ll surprised how much you do learn in those few days. I didn’t think I’d pass my class 2 after such a short time but was pleased when I did. Just remember your instructors voice in your head and think what would he say here and you’ll be ok. :slight_smile:

Good luck for test day!

I mean this in the nicest possible way - I’m glad others have/had problems with roundabouts and junctions, it proves it’s not just me being stupid!

Today is a new day, got an hour and half left before my training starts - today we are doing the reversing exercise - quite excited!

I LOVE driving the lorry, but I HATE having to adhere to such a strict routine.

Thanks for the help guys!

Endgame:
I LOVE driving the lorry, but I HATE having to adhere to such a strict routine.

This is exactly how I felt, but you are being taught to pass the test, once you pass the learning continues.

Today you’ll learn the reverse exercise, do not be worried if you feel like you want to practice “real” reversing. You’ll be taught the A,B,C way to pass the reverse part of the test. Don’t get hung up on wanting to do more, just take it in, pass your test and then you’ll get to play in trucks your way! :slight_smile:

And yes, everything you’re feeling is very normal, if you do a search you’ll see loads of us have felt just the same. Enjoy it all for the exercise it is and you WILL get there.

Well, another “bad” day I would say. Instructor thinks I need between another 8 to 10 hours before I am at pass standard. I keep messing up on the same things. I can change gears and check mirrors, I can turn corners without clipping curbs and I can (just about) deal with roundabouts, but when I have to combine dropping gears, to slow down for a turn, which of course means engaging the clutch, whilst checking my mirrors, I always seem to fumble on something and then it all goes to pot. Multi- tasking seems to be my downfall. Instructor claims I’m fine on long roads - I can achieve the speed required for the road and I can navigate the gears, but I can’t seem to master navigating small road, junctions and roundabouts without doing something wrong. Instructor says to me “when you push your clutch in whilst turning and try to change gear, you end up coasting the vehicle and gain momentum. STOP using your clutch to break!” to which I reply “I’m not doing it in order to break, I’m doing it because I need to be in a lower gear for when I’ve done my turn/exited the roundabout” I just CANNOT seem to get a handle on it.

Now, the reverse exercise. I spent 2 hours at this, and although 50% of the time I could pull it off, the other 50% of the time I needed to use a shunt. I’d often end up over - steering to either the left or the right, and be too far over on either side. Also, just to point out - I have really short legs! 27 inch long legs, so I have my seat quite low down, so I’m not stretching for the pedals, but then because I’m so low, I have difficulty looking out of the window to do the reverse! so FRUSTRATED with myself.

Anyway, my instructor has said we have one more 4 hour session to go before test day. He’s confident we can pick it up tomorrow, brush up on my multi-tasking and practice a few reverses, however, should I still have difficulty tomorrow, then he’s suggested just to take a 4 hour lesson on Friday (test day) and to skip the test itself, so I can get more practice if needed.

Having difficulty with the whole “planning ahead” thing. I can see roundabouts coming up, I know which lane to get in, but despite how much forward planning I do, I always seem to mess at least 1 thing up in the moment. Sorry for the long winded post, I’m kind of sceptical about passing on Friday, especially now since my instructor has come up with a contingency plan for if I don’t improve enough by tomorrow. My nerves really have got the better of me in this one!

Don’t let your instructor cancel your test, it will however be named by now.
They would probably want more money off you.

You would of had 18 hours training and this is ample time as long as you’ve been trained properly.

Don’t over complicate things in your head, just imagine the truck as a big car.

Good luck

Paul :smiley:

elmet training:
Don’t let your instructor cancel your test, it will however be named by now.
They would probably want more money off you.

You would of had 18 hours training and this is ample time as long as you’ve been trained properly.

Don’t over complicate things in your head, just imagine the truck as a big car.

Good luck

Paul :smiley:

I think it’s just me being generally slow to take things on board. My instructor said “you look tired, have you had enough sleep? Because things seem to be taking a while to sink in” then when I came to think of it, due to work and family commitments, life is kind of hectic and I only ended up with about 5 hours sleep the night before - which could have played a factor in my lack of ability to let things sink in. It’s odd, though, because I usually take to things I put my mind to quite well and fast.

Not sure how the whole test thing would work if I cancelled it. I assume I just don’t turn up, and spend the 2 hours I would have used at the test centre practising, come to term with losing my test fee, then re-book in a week or so once I’m test ready, as opposed to booking the test in advance, without knowing whether or not I would be ready.

Anyway, bed for me! 12.30 start tomorrow for the training. Fingers crossed I can pick things up!

Test is now named and paid for so you might as well take it even if not fully ready - it will be good experience

If you feel not ready then take the test as a relaxed jolly …

Don’t be too disheartened - it has been known for things to click into place the day before your test :slight_smile: .
Keep focused and don’t let mistakes lead to others by thinking about what has already happened.
Just out of interest did you have an assessment before deciding how much training was needed :question:

John

Hi, I recognise a lot of what you are saying. But if you need a shunt for the reverse, who cares? Only 1 minor fault, so don’t worry about that.

Roundabouts were my biggest issue as well and I know what you mean about trying to juggle steering, gears, looking at approaching traffic, mirrors, all at once.

I found that I eventually got into a routine, and the key to it for me was starting the routine very far in advance of the roundabout so by the time you get there you are in a nice low gear, crawling along and have ‘thinking time’ to work out if you are stopping or not. You are spot on that there is loads to think about approaching roundabouts. Try and stay calm, if it feels like there is too much to do at once question whether you are approaching too fast?

It might comfort you to know that the examiner wants to put you at ease and for you to do your best, and it is also a lot more paperwork to fail someone so they do give you every chance to get it right. “Would I trust this bloke to be out on his own” is the over riding question. Examiners like sedate approach speed to hazards!

So if you can demonstrate reasonably smooth driving with plenty of observation and avoiding kerbs, even if you take roundabouts a bit slowly, you stand a good chance of getting a pass. As said, the test is paid for and I would have a go, if only so (in worst case scenario) next time you know exactly what to expect and what you have to do.

Will be thinking of you tomorrow, very best of luck! Tim

Had a much MUCH better day today. Instructor said to me yesterday “You look knackered - make sure you come to me tomorrow (today) as fresh as a daisy, you’re no good to me if you’re tired” then I realised, due to a semi hectic last couple of days, that yesterday when I did go for my lessons, the night before I must have only had about 5 hours sleep, whereas last night I got 8 hours sleep, and everything seemed so much more easier to understand and take on board. We drove up to Atherton, went around some test routes, went to the test centre to watch one of his other students do the reverse exercise (took him 2 shunts, but he did it and passed) then we headed back. The one bad thing I did today, was when he asked me to pull into the petrol station, I did, but approached the bay way too sharply, then ended up FULLY on the curb of the petrol pumps! A complete lapse of concentration, because I’d been so focused, when we pulled in, I just relaxed my concentration, and surely enough, I went and did something stupid! Just goes to show you really cannot divert your attention - AT ALL.

Now because yesterday it took me so long to deal with the reverse exercise, we didn’t have the time to go to the reverse place my instructor has set up, so when we got back tot he yard, he got some cones out and made his own reverse bay and line up cones. Once again, I nearly ended up steering the wrong way, but I managed to adjust myself, and successfully pull them off with a shunt.

Instructor said all in all, today was a brilliant day, he just wishes that I had another day left before my test, so I could touch up on my reverse exercise and get more roundabouts in, but given that yesterday he was talking about missing the test and just practising, to telling me that if I do what I did today (minus a petrol station style incident) that I will pass. Just keep my cool, plan ahead and OVERUSE my mirrors if needs be.

th2013 - I appreciate your help man, as with everyone else who has contributed to my posts, with brilliant advise. It’s nice to have people to relate to, especially those who have struggled with what I have struggled with.

Test day tomorrow - 2.15. Will let all know how it goes.

Over and out!

good luck for the test buddy

:smiley:

Well guys, I got a big fat FAIL.

We went out, did the “show me, tell me” stuff, but there was someone else taking their reverse exercise as we went out, so he said “We’ll do our drive first, then do the reverse”

Went out, picked up 8 minors, got back, then BAM - failed on my reverse. I didn’t get enough left lock, didn’t see my marker cone, didn’t take a shunt - basically just fell to pieces, as expected. Examiner said “your driving was smooth, it was a nice, smooth drive, but unfortunately you hit that cone and that’s a fail”

Not too disheartened, I’ve come a long way from Wednesday when I initially thought I wouldn’t be anywhere near test standard - at least now I know my driving is at test standard, just a case of practising my reverse exercise. Only problem is though, the next available test for Atherton is the 15th of May unless I get a cancellation, but it is how it is.

Thanks for all the help guys, I’ll keep consulting back to the forums over the next few weeks, and let everyone know how my re-test goes.

Commiserations mate. Actually I will say “well done” anyway - you have done really well to do a good drive with just 8 minors considering how you were feeling about it. Hopefully you can now chill out about the road section.

I feel a bit bad having said the reverse was easy now; to be fair it is fairly rare for the class 2 reverse to be an issue, it sounds like you simply haven’t had enough time to practice it. Either that or your trainer hasn’t explained a technique well enough, or was forced to spend time on your road driving and you ran out of time.

Anyway, you know exactly what to expect next time, and I’m sure you will get it next time. Took me two goes for cat C and the 2nd time was much easier, the extra training really helped.

All the best for your retest. Tim

th2013:
Commiserations mate. Actually I will say “well done” anyway - you have done really well to do a good drive with just 8 minors considering how you were feeling about it. Hopefully you can now chill out about the road section.

I feel a bit bad having said the reverse was easy now; to be fair it is fairly rare for the class 2 reverse to be an issue, it sounds like you simply haven’t had enough time to practice it. Either that or your trainer hasn’t explained a technique well enough, or was forced to spend time on your road driving and you ran out of time.

Anyway, you know exactly what to expect next time, and I’m sure you will get it next time. Took me two goes for cat C and the 2nd time was much easier, the extra training really helped.

All the best for your retest. Tim

The reverse should have been easy, it was just with it being at the test centre, I’d mentally prepared myself for the reverse before any driving, then ended up doing the driving first, so came back from the drive, not sure whether I’d picked up any serious faults, then had to do the reverse - in heavy rain, which made it harder, had to wipe the mirrors down. I don’t even know why I didn’t take a shunt. I’d have passed if I had shunted it - my thinking just turned to pot when I didn’t see the cone I needed to see in my mirror. I should have taken the shunt!

Not to worry though - it’s all part of the learning process. The feedback I got from my test examiner regarding the driving was encouraging, and now I know what I need to brush up on for the next time round.

At one point, I thought it might have been an incompatibility between myself and my instructor, but he got 2 of his other guys through the test today! so it must be me that’s being slow with the learning of the reverse. Also, I’ve only had my actual car licence for 18 months, he thinks that my inexperience of general driving could have played a part in it.

Anyway, hopefully it will be second time lucky.

Thanks again for the support, th2013!

Might cheer you up - description of my 2nd tests reverse :unamused: Start me Class 2 training tommorrow - #25 by poolie101 - NEW AND WANNABE DRIVERS (INTERACTIVE) - Trucknet UK

Tests do funny things to the brain…

Endgame:
I’d mentally prepared myself for the reverse before any driving

Did your instructor inform you that these could be done in any order?

Commiserations I’ve kept up with your training diary this week and it sounds like you’ve had a really tough week I was hoping you would do it you nearly did bar one mistake so you should do ok next time. :smiley: