First come first served? Not up to the driver

To be fair to Rowley here, he does have a point when he asks why some drivers think they get to decide who’s in next. Many a time i’ve “jumped” the queue because the goods in staff told me to. Ive also been waiting and had new arrivals go in before me. It might not seem fair but at the end of the day, its not the drivers decision so why they get all hepped up about it is weird. There could be any number of reasons its not first come, first served at that particular time.
Its annoying but its rarely the driver whos just arriveds fault you need to wait

Reef:

Rowley010:
How am I gloating by just following the instruction of the yard staff?

Rowley010:
As I pulled out I could see the way he was looking at me his blood was boiling. Hahahaha

Might be why some are assuming you are gloating/taking the ■■■■

(just to be clear before somebody comes along and accuses me of anything, :unamused: I’m not saying you were or weren’t just highlighting why I think others may think that you are)

I’m not saying I looked over grinning at him or trying to wind him up… in fact I put my hand up and shouted thanks mate.

Shows how people on here will make assumptions without knowing every single fact.

The-Snowman:
To be fair to Rowley here, he does have a point when he asks why some drivers think they get to decide who’s in next. Many a time i’ve “jumped” the queue because the goods in staff told me to. Ive also been waiting and had new arrivals go in before me. It might not seem fair but at the end of the day, its not the drivers decision so why they get all hepped up about it is weird. There could be any number of reasons its not first come, first served at that particular time.
Its annoying but its rarely the driver whos just arriveds fault you need to wait

Thank you. Someone understands.

If anyone wants me to re write the original post but to include ever single detail of the whole situation so you can decide if I was gloating or not I will do.

But my post is asking a general question based not just on today, which is why I didn’t feel the need to cover myself that I wasn’t gloating or being bad mannered.

Rowley010:
Shows how people on here will make assumptions without knowing every single fact.

It is the single biggest problem with written media, you guess project an emotion or perception onto other peoples words, people tend to try to read between the lines to ascertain intent, more often than not reading more into what was written than intended, in fact your own mood can often influence how you perceive another posters intent, something we’re all guilty of doing at one time or another.

Smileys/emotes help to an extent but even they can be over or under used and also open to misinterpretation by either the poster or the reader.

Rowley010:

robroy:
How do you know at least one of these guys had not parked there the previous night, maybe been turned away at 5 past 5, so was hoping to be away.
I understand it aint up to drivers in a queue that’s obvious, but that said, tbh mate I would be ■■■■■■ off also.
As Rowley says, you do come across as couldn’t give a [zb]/gloating.

But even if you’ve been parked since previous night it’s still not up to you when they want to tip you is it.

Can you explain how I’m gloating?

I turn up

Get told to go in

Before I could go and explain to waiting drivers they are saying come in now

I go in, open and close curtains as fast I possibly can to get out of everyone’s way

I leave…

How is that gloating?

No it aint up to the driver, I fully understand that…as I previously agreed in answer to your o/post. :bulb:

Maybe it’s just me, but your reaction of… quote:… ‘‘Hahaha’’ , suggests gloating. :bulb:

No need to re.write every detail as you suggest, but we can only make a judgement on what you say in your post, and play with the cards we are dealt.

As I said, I would have taken the time to ‘‘clear it’’ with the other two lads, …but hey, that’s just me. :bulb:

A few years back I was on multi-drop and got to a company in Coventry. I pulled in and there were two artics waiting so I asked if I could go first as I had four pallets. They both said ok as they had full loads, but the forkie wouldn’t have it, they were there first and would be tipped first. Phoned my firm and was told to pull out and carry on with other drops.

As has been said delivery point staff decide who goes first.

If I can dive in furst I normally point and laugh and tap my watch at the waiting hordes as I drive off.

Nah just kidding. In a queue situation in normally out schmoozing with other drivers if they’re up for the chat so this instance rarely bothers me.

Was at that new Trago Mills place in Merthyr Tydfil the other week and it happened there. I had 33 pallets in a queue of 12 artics but they kept letting the ones with odd pallets through. No skin off my nose, I’m getting paid for it and I got told by my gaffer to stick it out and he’ll bill the consignor for it.

I’ve been in both situations. Most recently I was at Dordon tipping at Ocado. I arrived on the Wednesday afternoon and then waited 4 hours before they even put on me on a bay. Had to pull out because I was going to run out of time. Went back in there the next day and was put straight on the next available bay. There was a Bibby’s driver who lost his nut and went storming into the office, I’m guessing he had been there a while.

I don’t like to get involved with nonsense like that, if the driver wants to speak to me about what I’m doing then I’ll just say I was told by said office but I won’t go out of my way if I don’t feel the need. Don’t get me wrong though, I won’t stand in anyones way if they only have a few pallets on. Many a time if I’ve got a full load and a rigid or whatever arrives with only a few, I’ll tell the forkie to get his off first. Its a pain the can if you’ve only got a few on and you’re having to wait for a guy with a full trailer to get tipped.

Years ago I went to Baltic Wharf on Wallasea Island in Essex (anyone who’s been there knows what a weird and wonderful place it is). I’d never been there before so was concentrating as I drove up to the entrance, overtaking what I thought were about 20 artics parked up. Went into the office and gave the bloke my collection reference. He asked me if I was aware I’d just driven to the front of the queue. Oh right, I said, I’ll join the queue. But then another bloke said “What was that reference, Drive? I’ve just dug all that out and I could do with it out of the way. Pull into crew yard 2.”

I was picking up timber on a flat - it didn’t need sheeting so threw half a dozen straps over it, got my paperwork - and then had to run the gauntlet of some fierce-looking and understandably ■■■■■■■■■■ drivers. If looks could have killed…

From the other perspective then I was running a goods in office and vehicles have a booking time, loose one at that and were tipped in order.
However once a couple of drivers just waited on the road and didn’t announce their arrival to us so I didn’t know about their arrival.
Next thing Stobart arrive, could have been anyone just as we finish tipping previous vehicle. So I tell Stobart to back up to doors and we’ll tip him now.
Suddenly there’s 2 drivers in my face shouting that they were next. My reply was that I didn’t even know they were here.
I made them wait.

sent using smoke signals

On numerous occasions we have had threads here askIng the question “how soon before my booking time will they let me in to tip” of “if I turn up first thing do you think I’ll get tipped straight away”
It’s Friday maybe some of the drivers waiting where chancing their luck in the hope of getting home early on a Friday for a beer and steak dinner :laughing:

Screw everyone else frankly. It isn’t your fault if you rock up straight onto a bay at their request.

I know it is quintessentially British to believe in queuing up and order but it is upto the customer.

As annoying as it may be, until hauliers fine companies who give you a booking time and refuse you for being 15 minutes late but keep you hours after your booking time then dont get annoyed, just chill and ring the office.

In our yard we have loads from all over europe daily,some will be for groupage but its mainly all agg the two flt drivers are instructed to leave whatever theyre doing and tip as quick as possible and its first come first served, no one goes to the front of the queue. Plus…drivers can park for a break if needed and use the rest room/cafe, spoilt at our place… :smiley:

Well you’re all welcome to tip in front of me, I’m hourly paid and apparently there’s some of the internet I haven’t yet read. Crack on guys :smiley:

I’ve mentioned this before, but as a ‘French’ driver delivering in England I always seemed to get special treatment. Well, considerate I suppose would be more accurate. Perhaps they think I am tight for a ferry or something.

Once at a Sainsbury’s rdc, Heywood I think, I was at the back of a very long queue and walked all the way forward to report in. Chatted with the other blokes there, who didn’t know who I was driving for, for just a few minutes before the foreman shouted ‘Gauthier, bay 10’.

I walked past the open mouthed and shocked ones, gave a deprecating ‘sorry’ shrug, and went to get the wagon. Felt really embarrassed, especially driving past those sitting in their cabs in the queue who I couldn’t communcate with.

That was the second time that day. My first drop at Rotherham had been with the same result.

Nothing you can do though. :unamused:

robroy:
As I said, I would have taken the time to ‘‘clear it’’ with the other two lads, …but hey, that’s just me. :bulb:

Maybe, but the risk in doing that is of encountering one of the bulging-eye brigade who become very angry about the smallest thing, which it appears Rowley did anyway, albeit after being tipped. There is no reasoning with people like them so why even attempt to? If they have a problem they need to speak to the yard man.

Olog Hai:

robroy:

Maybe, but the risk in doing that is of encountering one of the bulging-eye brigade who become very angry about the smallest thing, which it appears Rowley did anyway, albeit after being tipped. There is no reasoning with people like them so why even attempt to? If they have a problem they need to speak to the yard man.

Or on the other hand I could just as likely have encountered a couple of reasonable lads who would have just said ‘‘Ok mate, thanks for telling us’’ :neutral_face:
Maybe the bulging eyes came about after they thought
(albeit wrongly) that Rowley was taking liberties, not to mention his ‘‘Hahaha’’ display when he went past them. :bulb:

Look it’s became a mountain molehill situation this, but if you’re sat or stood in any sort of queue for ■■■■ ages, and somebody jumps it (irrespective of the reason) you’re going to get a bit ■■■■■■■■■■ of.

Rowley010:
As I pulled out I could see the way he was looking at me his blood was boiling. Hahahaha

Gloating…

gloat
ɡləʊt/
verb
gerund or present participle: gloating

dwell on one’s own success or another’s misfortune with smugness or malignant pleasure.
“his enemies gloated over his death”
synonyms: delight in, relish, take great pleasure in, enjoy greatly, revel in, rejoice in, glory in, exult in, triumph over, crow over;

Had similar at Asda, Lutterworth. Took load in that a dayman had pulled out with,so it was only 6-7hrs late. Went up to the little office with the paperwork. Back her straight on bay 25. When I asked about the half dozen or so infront of me was told it wasnt my problem, youve only got 14 pallets and they will be in the stores by 6am. In and out in under 40 mins.

I used to do shunting between 2 yards a few miles away and the shunt loads always had priority over anyone else. You arrived at the yard, drove past anyone waiting (which there usually was) and drove straight into the loading/unloading box. If someone was already on it you pulled up right behind them and then once they were done, moved onto the box. Unsurprisingly this regularly prompted red-faced angry drivers to come storming (sorry, waddling) down the yard telling me how it is. Like others have said earlier in the thread, often the reason you’re waiting so long to get loaded is because the product isn’t ready yet or needs to be fetched down by the shunter from another production plant.

I’ve been on the other end of it too. I had a delivery for Asda at Wigan, pulled up on the left and booked in. Went back to the unit and waited but then the guy behind me pulled out, went past me and into the yard :open_mouth: . Thinking that he’d jumped the queue I went storming over to the security hut and made my feelings known, only to be swiftly put back in my box when they told me he was one of their own drivers in a hire unit :blush: .

As for the “I’ve only got a 1 pallet mate” brigade, whether I let them go would depend on my own load. If I had a full chute on an artic then I’d usually let them go but one of the jobs I was doing was plant deliveries in an artic and there’d only be a couple of lifts for each store so would be in and out within 10 mins, so the “only got 1 pallet mate” would be told they’d have to wait as I only had a few to drop myself. The looks of thunder on their faces never got old. I guess they see the huge fridge artic and automatically assume you’ve got tons to offload and will be there ages. Quite often I’d get 7.5 tonners coming with 8 pallets or so on waiting to go first yet they’d take longer than me to get the plant cages lifted off!