First budget unit what would you recommend

Big Truck:
Anybody going ahead with starting as O/D in next 12months needs to go and get their head seen to!!!

Or just give it a wobble…….absolute madness with what is going off ATM through to next January :bulb:

Stanley Mitchell:

Big Truck:
Anybody going ahead with starting as O/D in next 12months needs to go and get their head seen to!!!

Or just give it a wobble…….absolute madness with what is going off ATM through to next January :bulb:

1000x worse now!!!

he has vanished again.no doubt taking a bit of time off now waiting on his first cheque to clear from maritime. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Big Truck:

Stanley Mitchell:

Big Truck:

1000x worse now!!!

But will they listen ?

I had one the other day asking me how I find work ect., then he came out with a right corker when I mentioned that it would be madness to set up now…“what`s Chinese Flu got to do with it” :open_mouth:

A big thing is the back up if you use a dealer …If going for euro 6 then you do need a service contract ,these motors can put you out the game as not much is cheap or easy to diagnoise /fix …Fuel is a big issue as depending where you are located the south east being a bad area ,then you can have issues which are not cheap

Daf 95xf, with the change buy a pair of new cylinder heads and rad, get the manual gearbox overhauled,cab mounts done and away you go, with loads left in the bank.

For your first truck a lease could be a dangerous thing. They will cost you big big money every month and you have to find that money or it’s gone. In this current situation we are all in I’m hearing a lot of people are all taking “finance breaks” as when the ■■■■ hits the fan they have no work and can’t afford to pay for them! If you lease a motor for 3 years you’ll pay someone £60,000 plus for the privilege and have nothing at the end of it.

Buying anything second hand is a gamble and it’s all about luck and looking after it and how well it’s been looked after. Low mileage newest etc doesn’t always work especially on a euro 6. Imo any euro 6 that is under 15k isn’t worth buying.

I bought a 2 year old V8 euro 6 and had more trouble with it then the older V8’s I’ve had in the past. Put it this way, I sold a lot off last year and went back just on my own. Sick of drivers playing up…I sold euro5 Volvo ‘watch the electrics they can be a nightmare!’ and a euro 6 V8 and kept my old 164 with 3 million km on the clock! She runs week in week out around Europe. So you don’t need new to have a good truck. I know a friend of mine who runs a euro 6 750 Volvo has spent a small fortune on his in the last few months and another who’s had issues with a Range T. They all can break and they all will. If you buy second hand Steer clear on trucks that loose money quickly. I bought a Volvo for £24,000 and 12 months later it was worth 15k tops. Years ago I bought a old V8 for £20,000 and sold it nearly 5 years later with over a million extra put on it for £16,500! In that time I put a ride height valve on the back, a alternator, and changed the belts. ‘Along with servicing regular’

Just my opinion and not facts but do what you think is best. There’s no right or wrong way to do things. But in my opinion’cheap new trucks are cheap for a reason’

Euro 164:
For your first truck a lease could be a dangerous thing. They will cost you big big money every month and you have to find that money or it’s gone. In this current situation we are all in I’m hearing a lot of people are all taking “finance breaks” as when the [zb] hits the fan they have no work and can’t afford to pay for them! If you lease a motor for 3 years you’ll pay someone £60,000 plus for the privilege and have nothing at the end of it.

Buying anything second hand is a gamble and it’s all about luck and looking after it and how well it’s been looked after. Low mileage newest etc doesn’t always work especially on a euro 6. Imo any euro 6 that is under 15k isn’t worth buying.

I bought a 2 year old V8 euro 6 and had more trouble with it then the older V8’s I’ve had in the past. Put it this way, I sold a lot off last year and went back just on my own. Sick of drivers playing up…I sold euro5 Volvo ‘watch the electrics they can be a nightmare!’ and a euro 6 V8 and kept my old 164 with 3 million km on the clock! She runs week in week out around Europe. So you don’t need new to have a good truck. I know a friend of mine who runs a euro 6 750 Volvo has spent a small fortune on his in the last few months and another who’s had issues with a Range T. They all can break and they all will. If you buy second hand Steer clear on trucks that loose money quickly. I bought a Volvo for £24,000 and 12 months later it was worth 15k tops. Years ago I bought a old V8 for £20,000 and sold it nearly 5 years later with over a million extra put on it for £16,500! In that time I put a ride height valve on the back, a alternator, and changed the belts. ‘Along with servicing regular’

Just my opinion and not facts but do what you think is best. There’s no right or wrong way to do things. But in my opinion’cheap new trucks are cheap for a reason’

Very well put!!!

gkdsp:
Daf 95xf, with the change buy a pair of new cylinder heads and rad, get the manual gearbox overhauled,cab mounts done and away you go, with loads left in the bank.

I’m shaken my head in disbelief while reading this.

I would lean towards a Renault Premium 460. 2012/13 ish. There are plenty around and for the right money too.

Hello all, I think you should start with renault premium, look for a low mileage one that hasn’t done heavy work.
You won’t go wrong. The only downside is if you are fully loaded, you will need to have the patience of a saint up the hills and taking off. I swear by them. Cheap, realliable and if you don’t mind others putting their noses and commenting on what they don’t know go for a premium.
Or mercedes axor. No frills,straightforward trucks Mate.

Have run and driven Renaults for years found them reliable at the end of the day its a work vehicle so what has got the best earning potential . Noone pays a premium if you run high spec or expensive trucks What the customer wants is a delivery made on time in a safe reliable way. Buy what you can afford

BLACK KIDO 1:
The only downside is if you are fully loaded, you will need to have the patience of a saint up the hills and taking off.

Definitely! Pulling a full water tanker in a Renault and Jesus they take a long time to get going, on a steep hill it drops right back down to 10mph quick fast! Very rapid when empty though, and a clean high spec with lots of gadgets. I turned my nose up at them until I drove one, I’m still unsure why the company doesn’t use V8 or Volvo 750s though given 50% of the time is pretty much running at 44t

We have just sold our oldest truck, 2011 MAN TGX XLX 600k 12 months test, new Egr sold it for 5k now that is what i would call a “new start” truck

I bought a 5 year old MAN TGX XXL 440, 5 years ago. It had 430k on the clock with 120k on a new engine, one owner from new full maintained on a full r&m. I paid 15k back then. All its cost me is pmi’s, an exhaust brake and exhaust down pipe. I run light, pulling boats, maximum load 18t, and it gives me 14 mpg, but I have done a bit of general at 44t and it gave me 10.5. I get it serviced by a local ex-MAN fitter when it should be done and I drive it steady. Money is in the bank rather than in a dealership.

I’d love a newer motor but I just can’t bring myself to get ■■■■■■■ with finance in this climate, and although some badge snobs may snigger at the MAN, the XXL cab is ideal for living in, if I have to. Its LEZ compliant but if I can’t go into London because of EU6, I will simply offer the customer the opportunity to pay the extra, otherwise I wont do it.

chaversdad:
We have just sold our oldest truck, 2011 MAN TGX XLX 600k 12 months test, new Egr sold it for 5k now that is what i would call a “new start” truck

shoot that was cheap!

Post started before covid, but someone may still need to get this type of information…
as said its risk, but personal preferences need to be taken to consideration too as OP will spend all week in the cab/ grumpy unhappy driver=problems even accidents… Everyone for their liking.
Premium might be cheap but its horrid inside, MAN for little more money is better option to live in. Down on T range is very badly designed dashboard with no cap holder and key is right in your knee if you are over 6foot.
They say, do not start now, but if you can get work, advantage is in cheaper trucks at the moment. R450 euro6 Scanias now dropped under 20k with reasonable mileage…

GS OVERLAND:
I would lean towards a Renault Premium 460. 2012/13 ish. There are plenty around and for the right money too.

You can afford to repair them too

LL79:

chaversdad:

shoot that was cheap!

Just wanted rid as it was always in the way, knew at 5k it would go straight away without the usual messing around, mad though how different trucks hold there value , a few month ago i sold a 2008 V8 Scania with all the bells and whistles for 27k, bloke bought it unseen and it was on its way to Ireland 3 days later !

will most likely end up in competition loterry as they put lot of V8 Scanias up at the moment…