First Aid Kit

dieseldave:
For ADR (dangerous goods by road) work, there’s nothing written in the ADR books about a first aid kit.
(I’d normally provide an ADR reference at this point, but I can’t provide a reference for a requirement that doesn’t exist. :smiley: )

C’mon, you’re not trying hard enough :laughing:
Guess my head was in “trainer mode” rather than “DGSA mode”.

For the benefit of drivers thinking of doing the ADR driver training course, FA is an integral part of the Core module, so you’ll still be taught as if the FA kit is a standard part of your PPE kitbag.

The only transport company that provided a first aid kit that I’ve worked for was Hacklings, they also issue you with your own ADR kit as part of the ADR course.

I have still got both…

XPO have said there is no legal requirement to supply a first aid kit, even though we’re dealing with hazardous substances and the other two trucks have first aid kits. They only supply eyewash which is part of the ADR kit anyway.

XPO, is the only company that has supplied a calcium cream, we were told of an injection to be carried when doing Hacklings ADR course, but, as they never transported it we were never issued with any.

I take my own which is the Hacklings one with extra stuff I needed such as germaline, paracetamol and fabric plasters as I’m allergic to the other sort and a spare ventolin inhaler for my asthma!!

The answer could be yes

The legislation hse.gov.uk/firstaid/legislation.htm

Requires " require employers to provide adequate and appropriate equipment, facilities and personnel to ensure their employees receive immediate attention if they are injured or taken ill at work. These Regulations apply to all workplaces including those with less than five employees and to the self-employed."

Where i have worked in the past and been responsible for first aid all vehicles had a something like this amazon.co.uk/Reliance-Medic … th=1&psc=1

Andy4929:
The answer could be yes

Sorry mate, the answer could not be yes.

Andy4929:
The legislation hse.gov.uk/firstaid/legislation.htm

Requires " require employers to provide adequate and appropriate equipment, facilities and personnel to ensure their employees receive immediate attention if they are injured or taken ill at work. These Regulations apply to all workplaces including those with less than five employees and to the self-employed."

Then there’s the next bit that you didn’t quote from the very link you kindly provided…

The HSE:
What is ‘adequate and appropriate’ will depend on the circumstances in the workplace. This includes whether trained first-aiders are needed, what should be included in a first-aid box and if a first-aid room is required. Employers should carry out an assessment of first-aid needs to determine what to provide.

The HSE answers the the OP, as did a few of us earlier in this topic.

As you can see, there is no actual requirement for a first-aid kit to be carried on a commercial vehicle on UK work.

dieseldave:
[, what should be included in a first-aid box .

Surely that sounds like a first aid box is compulsory, with just the contents up for discussion?
I’d like to see an employer trying to justify having done a risk assessment and defending the decision not to provide a first aid kit.

Untill read this thread never really thought abought it.
I wouldn’t know where to start it I seen an accident or somebody needed 1st aid.
Surely any professional driver should be forced to take a first aid course as part of there CPC would make sense as could maybe save a life one day

I think most drivers feel sufficiently forced when it comes to DCPC, but yes, If I needed DCPC it would be a top choice, certainly beats listening to your average DCPC trainer, and you won’t be as glued to the seat as you normally are.