First accident today

I wouldn’t worry about it, the damage to your ego will be far worse than minor cracks and scuffs.

As Merc says your still in the learning faze a bit, like me after 20 odd years. Instinct or a memory of a similar situation will develop to a point where you rarely drop a bollock.

Don’t be afraid to make the odd mistake as the only way to find the limits is to hit them.
Important thing is nobody died.

If there’s a hard way to do something I’m your man, if there’s a ■■■■ up to be grabbed that’s me as well.
In fact I’m continually finding new ways to make a balls up of new situations.

Fear and complacency are your enemies, accept your mistakes and learn from them.

Dive at 9 no ■■■■ to rough.

merc0447:
Ive worked for 2 large supermarkets in my illustrious career :laughing: and I’ve never once clapped eyes on a store risk assessment. The key is not to ask for one :laughing:

If you’ve been driving for 18months your eyes still probably haven’t adjusted to “what’s on and what’s not” Most drivers can look at a space and instantly make a call on it and make their own risk assessment in their head.

To hijack a thread it would be curious all things being equal a serious tight space (say 14 metres across) how do you prefer to turn on your drivers side on the inner turn or your passenger side on the inner turn? You’d think drivers side as you can see more but I always favour my passenger side as you can almost feel where your tail sweep is.

Yeah I get that, but the most annoying thing about this is that I’ve turned it in the same yard twice before without issue. This time I just misjudged it, took a bit of a shunt which then put me on too much of an angle and I hear a cracking sound and stop. Got out and couldn’t see anything in the dark so backed out and started again and took that little bit wider like I should have in the first place. It was later in the light that I could see the damage.

Should’ve said to small yard man you’ve made a new risk assessment for him.

On a bit of paper

“I broke my lorry - it’s risky”

Just give him that. Tell him he can print it with your permission, frame on the wall.

Evil8Beezle:

nightline:
Inexperienced comes to mind
Why o why did you not stick to your first thought it’s nearly always the best one don’t drive in
If you are a professional driver you need to start acting like one you are the one in charge what’s happening here is your reading on this site and thinking you have to be like them and be afraid to appear to look and sound like you know what you are doing trust me respect comes in buckets from everywhere
Don’t make that mistake

Have you ever made a mistake pal? :open_mouth:

The bloke has been driving 18 months and this is his first accident!
FFS I think he’s done bloody well to go that long without a prang, I didn’t even manage a month! :laughing:
And yes I’ve also missed a turning before and had to reroute because of it due to a low bridge… :unamused:

My first Accident happened on a Tuesday morning in rush hour Carmarthen, driving a bus I thought the car in front had gone but hadn’t so bang, I hit it. My second accident…was later the dame day when I clipped a car as I negotiated a junction. I had so many accidents on the buses the insurance company told transport manger if I have one more accident to sack me as they’ll refuse to cover me. Little did they know I would become Europe’s best truck driver :wink:

switchlogic:

Evil8Beezle:

nightline:
Why o why did you not stick to your first thought it’s nearly always the best one don’t drive in
If you are a professional driver you need to start acting like one you are the one in charge what’s happening here is your reading on this site and thinking you have to be like them and be afraid to appear to look and sound like you know what you are doing trust me respect comes in buckets from everywhere
Don’t make that mistake

FFS I think he’s done bloody well to go that long without a prang, I didn’t even manage a month! :laughing:
And yes I’ve also missed a turning before and had to reroute because of it due to a low bridge… :unamused:

My first Accident happened on a Tuesday morning in rush hour Carmarthen, driving a bus I thought the car in front had gone but hadn’t so bang, I hit it. My second accident…was later the dame day when I clipped a car as I negotiated a junction. I had so many accidents on the buses the insurance company told transport manger if I have one more accident to sack me as they’ll refuse to cover me. Little did they know I would become Europe’s best truck driver :wink:

What’s the saying? “Self praise is no praise”

switchlogic:

Evil8Beezle:

nightline:
Don’t make that mistake

My first incident I reversed over some blokes garden gnome. He went absolutely mental. The head and arm were off.

He said to me “what if that had been a small child!?” Also bent his fence a little. Only a small bit.

True story I’m not actually kidding.

Fincham:
What’s the saying? “Self praise is no praise”

What’s the expression? Ah yes, ‘woosh’

Congratulations on your first accident!

I always remember mine. Knew something bad was going to happen when I felt the crunch… that Biriani went through my knickers and onto the seat.

Still smells odd in there today

exit:
Not this by any chance…

youtube.com/watch?v=-qgzVq5q068

This is what happens when you try to fit a supermarket on the towns cricket pitch - it was a nice ground as well.

Travesty, that was.

Socketset:

exit:
Not this by any chance…

youtube.com/watch?v=-qgzVq5q068

This is what happens when you try to fit a supermarket on the towns cricket pitch - it was a nice ground as well.

Travesty, that was.

Oh, used to be a cricket pitch? Silver lining to every cloud :laughing:

Ive been relatively lucky and only had one, around 15 months ago caught the rear end of a car parked in the yard in Spain with the overhang (minor damage), worse though it was mid August and one of the hottest days of the year and screwed a fully freighted tri axle around on the tarmac section, yes you guessed it, big piles of scraped up tarmac around the tyres :blush:

Try 51 store Trago Mills at Liskeard never in a million years would u think you would be able to spin a 45 ft artic there but it goes … just :open_mouth:

Evil8Beezle:

nightline:
Don’t make that mistake

And did you come on here and write a post because you had to reroute and read like you had ■■■■■■ you pants and sound like you have no confidence
The reply i gave to this post was if you have any doubt do it your way only and thats gold

nightline:

Evil8Beezle:

nightline:
Don’t make that mistake

And did you come on here and write a post because you had to reroute and read like you had ■■■■■■ you pants and sound like you have no confidence
The reply i gave to this post was if you have any doubt do it your way only and thats gold

oh we seem to have a lovers tiff again lol

First accident today, how many do you normally get in a day

Fincham:
Homebase at Cromer is one of those “not fit for purpose” yards. You turn off main road, into car park and turn immediately right and follow perimeter roadway along back wall. Yard is barely big enough to turn in and reversing in or out is nigh on impossible.

google.co.uk/maps/@52.93172 … a=!3m1!1e3

Loads of room there drive. Homebase on Hall Road in Norwich is one of them you aren’t allowed to reverse into and have to screw it round.

hotel magnum:
First accident today, how many do you normally get in a day

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: