Fifth wheel couple

I still think the old airlines with taps on were better, ok you have to have a system and not forget your taps but at least you could do a tug test even with the suzies coupled up… You still have to check your trailer, lights etc, so why not have to check the taps are on when fitting the safety clip

My truck has a Georg Fischer GF fifth wheel and there is a problem with the plastic insert used in the jaws. If these become worn or cracked then the trailer can become detached. You must always check the inserts before coupling up

We got a report from the engineers after one of our trucks lost a trailer after doing nearly 600 km

Pat is right - it’s dangerous - but;
The first time I ever pulled a frigo was when I came here and started for Gauthier. Had big difficulty getting between and the other drivers showed me this method. I compromised, did everything they said except finally coupling the red line which I struggled with.
Somebody said leave the legs down till last. Yes but best to wind them up a bit and make sure the 5th wheel lifts them clear of the ground. That way you can be sure the pin isn’t riding above the jaws, which could fool you into a false sense of security by being able to set the clip in place.

I only dropped a trailer on its knees once in 39 years and that was returning to a wagon left coupled overnight in Newport cattle market after a night in digs. I’m convinced some joker pulled the pin. Scared the hell out of me when it flipped the back of the unit like a tiddleywink and shot my head against the cab roof. That was in 1964 and since then I always shine a torch up the jaws as part of my walk round check.

Salut, David.

I always use above method…but then again we still run with taps here in Eire. Also leave legs down till last. Trailer brake on back under rasing suspension a little making sure the plate is firmly against the base of the trailer then give her a good two or three tugs. Then call me paranoid on pulling away watch the bulk head of the trailer like a hawk…I think IMHO hooking un un-hooking of trailers is a very dangerous procedure which ever way you do it, and I often see people running around the trailer taking short cuts and trying to accomplish the procedure in the shortest possible time…me I crap myself everytime I pull off LOL and would rather spend two or three minutes more than drop it on its knuckles :smiley:

Wheel Nut:
I still think the old airlines with taps on were better, ok you have to have a system and not forget your taps but at least you could do a tug test even with the suzies coupled up…

This is okay, but with any system there is the one big factor thats the person carrying out the checks. So we don’t have taps because people forgot them the same way as they forget the tug test or the dog clip.
Inexperience is one factor, the other is over confidence from experience. Hooking up a trailer and load that could weigh over 30t demands to be treated with respect.

Liam:
would rather spend two or three minutes more than drop it on its knuckles :smiley:

Phew glad I read that a second time, didn’t like the idea of a trailer being dropped on me.

I was told to couple up and use the shunt buton to pull the trl forward, then jack-knife the unit and get to the suzies that way…
But I must admit I haven’t actually done this yet, as I prefer to get all hot and sweaty trying to squeeze into the 7inch gap… :unamused: but then I am considerably skinnier than most of you… :stuck_out_tongue:

Luv
Chrisie… :sunglasses:

Oh come on Muckles wheres ya Xmas spirirt you not wanna a 35t trailer dropped on ya mate :astonished: :smiley:

You surprised me there, Rags!! Why make the job harder for yourself??
Whats the problem here with split coupling?? I always thought it was normal practise?
It might be easy enough to get in and couple a box trailer, Rags, but you try doing it when that gap is 7" and there is a fridge in the way.
Pulling the trailer forward with the shunt button and jacking the unit round is a crap way of doing it!!
As someone who has been pulling fridges with close coupling for a good few years, I will ALWAYS split couple!! I see nothing dangerous in it BECAUSE I TAKE CARE!!!
Mind you, I nearly always pull the same trailer so it is not often I have to couple up but my procedure is as follows.
Lower air suspension on unit and back up to trailer. Check park brake is on before anything else happens. Once the plate is under the trailer, I raise the suspension again. One perfectly good reason for doing this is it keeps the susies clean! Too many people just take a run at a trailer and ram back under it relying on the runbars on the unit to lift the trailer onto tthe plate. This will scrape the grease on the plate onto the front of the trailer and thats how you get grease all over you and the susies!!! Simple logic really but then fleet drivers don’t give a ■■■■■ about the state of trailers.
Once the suspension has lifted, I get out and connect the susies. Then I raise the suspension again lifting the legs off the ground. wind the legs up and level the suspension again. Then I back right under trailer, listen for the click and do a pull test. If the park brake is on, all this is quite easy. Once that is done, I get out, put the dog clip on, walk round and release the park brake, check lights and put number plate on.
I have NEVER dropped a trailer using this method.
It is not a science picking a trailer up and as far as I am concenred, it is just a matter of common sense and safety. The park brake equals safety! Common sense is not making the job harder for yourself than neccesary.

We all have our own way of coupling trailers, some good some bad :exclamation:

I am used to using a tractor that doesnt have run up ramps so have always had to check the height and adjust it to the trailer. If you have air on the unit it is easy, if not you can sometimes lower the trailer to raise the front, although not all trailers have raise / lower even if they are on air.

In this case it is down to manual labour and low gear on the landing legs.

When I worked in Germany the procedure there was to raise the unit to full extent, drop the trailer air and put chocks under the wheels before pulling out, In my opinion stupid unless the fleet is the same and no one else needs to pick up the trailer.

With the post from the Bear, I can agree that his way is ok. although I would leave the landing legs down till I had actually coupled up to stop the tiddleywink effect :smiley:

Wheel Nut:
although I would leave the landing legs down till I had actually coupled up to stop the tiddleywink effect :smiley:

If you see a C reg Kew Dodge tractor with a dome in the roof that matches my head Malc, snap it up, it’s got to be worth money :cry:

Salut, David.

I have come across this problem before, thankfully not being on the receiving end. The problem is that it is possible to go under the trailer ‘too low’ which means that the bottom of the pin springs the fifth wheel, closing it. BUT THE PIN IS NOW SITTING ON TOP OF THE CLOSED JAWS. Use your torch to ensure that there is not a gap between the fifth wheel and the bottom of the trailer. Outside of that, can’t offer any other advice :blush: :blush: :blush:

Rags - when I was on containers and I was coupling up to a 45’ container it was either get on my back under the overhang to connect suzies :imp: or do it the way you said. Your way won hands down each time :slight_smile: