Few important questions :)

JaxDemon:
Am I the only one who thinks tacho tranong should be part of the actual truck training and test?? I was shown nothing and the last few places I worked knew nothing it was only when I got to samworths I was trained and taught properly

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Yes and No as I did a Tacho CPC module, but learnt nothing really as I’d already looking it all up online.

Back in the day we used to call this initiative… :wink:

Evil8Beezle:

JaxDemon:
Am I the only one who thinks tacho tranong should be part of the actual truck training and test?? I was shown nothing and the last few places I worked knew nothing it was only when I got to samworths I was trained and taught properly

Yes and No as I did a Tacho CPC module, but learnt nothing really as I’d already looking it all up online.

Back in the day we used to call this initiative… :wink:

I’ve no idea what that is mate hence why I’m here lol

Mac74:

simcor:

Mac74:
by the way, tachograph, is it true that after 28 days this mistakes are no more trackable on the digicard?

PS
many thanks

No the data on your card is not overwritten after 28 days. The card only has to legally hold the information for the last 28 days.

However the card will hold a heck of a lot more. Months even a year or more is possible to still be on the card. I would be able to go back months on my card to do a printout from anytime within a decent time frame. Although I did have a replacement card as mine was faulty and can’t remember how long I’ve had this card. My previous card had more than 12 months data on it.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

ok, pfffffffff, I just have decent explanations anyway, but really not happy of the mistakes. in few minutes I will be a better driver, inputting the additional entry, at least!

Would be a real shame if you accidentally lost your Digi Card and had to order a replacement . Clean slate and all that :wink:

JaxDemon:

I was showed absolutely nowt either when training. I asked questions and watched youtube videos etc. Other experienced drivers also pointed me in correct direction.

Training defo a good idea

tachograph:
On a VDO tachograph when the vehicle is stationary press OK and the following screen will be displayed.

• Top left is the accumulated driving time since the last 45 minute break.
  • Bottom left is the accumulated driving time in the 2 week period.
  • Bottom right is the length of the current break.
  • Top right shows the accumulated break since the last 45 minute break.

Surely if you press OK it goes into the standard menus for printouts etc? I always press the down-arrow to call up the driving time etc display shown (on vehicles which don’t have this piped through to the dash display).

Tommy7437:

JaxDemon:

I was showed absolutely nowt either when training. I asked questions and watched youtube videos etc. Other experienced drivers also pointed me in correct direction.

Training defo a good idea

It should be requirement because you could potentially lose the licence you’ve just gained.

Make module 2 initial dcpc test a test for drivers hours and tacho use = easily sorted

Roymondo:

tachograph:
On a VDO tachograph when the vehicle is stationary press OK and the following screen will be displayed.

• Top left is the accumulated driving time since the last 45 minute break.
  • Bottom left is the accumulated driving time in the 2 week period.
  • Bottom right is the length of the current break.
  • Top right shows the accumulated break since the last 45 minute break.

Surely if you press OK it goes into the standard menus for printouts etc? I always press the down-arrow to call up the driving time etc display shown (on vehicles which don’t have this piped through to the dash display).

My bad, you’re absolutely right when stationary you press the down button not the OK button and thanks for pointing it out :wink:

When the vehicle is moving you can press the OK button to see the driving time and break taken since the last 45 minute break.

ROG:
Make module 2 initial dcpc test a test for drivers hours and tacho use = easily sorted

I know it’s not very thorough but I thought mod 2 covers drivers hours :confused:

If you make mod 2 entirely about drivers hours what do you do about all the other stuff a new driver is supposed to learn for mod 2 ?

tachograph:

ROG:

I know it’s not very thorough but I thought mod 2 covers drivers hours :confused:

If you make mod 2 entirely about drivers hours what do you do about all the other stuff a new driver is supposed to learn for mod 2 ?

Mod 2 are scenarios which in general are covered by the mod 1a theory test which is why most find mod 2 easy to pass

tachograph:

Mac74:
I have now downloaded a manual for a generic tacho that I have found online and so I can better manage it.

If you tell us how old the vehicle is we may be able to tell which model it is and post a link to the correct instruction manual and some videos.

Even though it appears to be a VDO tachograph they’ve changed a bit over the years so there’s no point in just posting links to the wrong tachograph that could make things more confusing for you.

As has been said your driver card will hold several months of data but generally the DVSA won’t bother about anything that’s more than 28 days old.

By the way, some time after your card is downloaded you’ll get an infringement for insufficient break in the driving time, just sign it learn from it and move on, it’s not a big deal.

today I was on a different truck, anyway my VDO has VOLVO printed at the back, I usually drive a DAF reg 2013, 7.5 tons.

the truck I had today had a nice tacho asking me if I was at rest all those hours … a simple yes, without manual entry. tomorrow back on the DAF, anyway :slight_smile:

Tommy7437:

Mac74:

simcor:

Mac74:
by the way, tachograph, is it true that after 28 days this mistakes are no more trackable on the digicard?

PS
many thanks

No the data on your card is not overwritten after 28 days. The card only has to legally hold the information for the last 28 days.

However the card will hold a heck of a lot more. Months even a year or more is possible to still be on the card. I would be able to go back months on my card to do a printout from anytime within a decent time frame. Although I did have a replacement card as mine was faulty and can’t remember how long I’ve had this card. My previous card had more than 12 months data on it.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

ok, pfffffffff, I just have decent explanations anyway, but really not happy of the mistakes. in few minutes I will be a better driver, inputting the additional entry, at least!

Would be a real shame if you accidentally lost your Digi Card and had to order a replacement . Clean slate and all that :wink:

ehm… would be a shame… :smiley: hahaha

Mac74:
I usually drive a DAF reg 2013, 7.5 tons.

If the tachograph is a VDO 2013 model it’s most likely to be version 2.0.
Digital Tachograph – VDO version 2.0-2.1 instruction manual

If the tachograph is a Stoneridge it’s most likely to be version 7.
Stoneridge SE5000 Digital Tachograph instruction manual

All the Dafs at my last place had Stoneridge head units.

Radar19:

I’ve added the manual and a video for Stoneridge just in case :wink:

tachograph:

Mac74:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exFhdxmpSRw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ei4e4yu-YDM

perfect video(s)!

the first one is on my truck, many thanks. now I know what to do this morning.

the second one is the stoneridge I’ve used yesterday, had to call my colleague asking him how the heck he was ejecting the digicard! :smiley:

many thanks tachograph!

LAST thing to ask:

someone moves the trucks in the yard sometimes, I think is the employer that prepares the truck in position to be loaded. the fact is, he’s without any digicard, so sometimes the tacho flashes that the truck is moving without card… what to do in this case? I press OK button, insert my digicard and but still shows the same display, I press OK again and disappear after a while. is it MY problem (I have to be concerned about) or employer problem?

Mac74:

tachograph:

Mac74:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exFhdxmpSRw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ei4e4yu-YDM

perfect video(s)!

the first one is on my truck, many thanks. now I know what to do this morning.

the second one is the stoneridge I’ve used yesterday, had to call my colleague asking him how the heck he was ejecting the digicard! :smiley:

many thanks tachograph!

LAST thing to ask:

someone moves the trucks in the yard sometimes, I think is the employer that prepares the truck in position to be loaded. the fact is, he’s without any digicard, so sometimes the tacho flashes that the truck is moving without card… what to do in this case? I press OK button, insert my digicard and but still shows the same display, I press OK again and disappear after a while. is it MY problem (I have to be concerned about) or employer problem?

If it happens in the yard it should not be a problem. If there are lots of kilometres missing then it is a problem, but should be for the boss,not you.
If the movement happens just after or before the same driver books on or off it could look suspicious. Movements are recorded on the head unit even if there’s no driver card in there.

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

Mac74:

As Franglais said if the vehicle is used in the yard without a driver card it’s not your problem, plenty of companies have shunters who will occasionally move vehicles without inserting a driver card, it’s perfectly legal.

As you’ve found out when the tachograph flashes (Driven without card" just press OK to cancel the warning and carry on.

Mac74:
LAST thing to ask:

Is it showing exactly the same display? If the lorry has been moved without a card in (e.g. by a yard shunter - perfectly normal and acceptable) then a VDO tacho will show “Driving without card”. If you acknowledge this (by pressing OK) it will go away. However, if you turn on the ignition with no card inserted, the display will say “Card!” as a reminder that you need to put your card in. Two different messages with two different meanings.

Radar19:

I’ve had the opposite experience, and only the latest DAF I’ve driven was a Stoneridge.
Bloody pain in the arse it was, as it would go to ‘Other Work’ when you stopped driving, and then ‘Break’ when you turned the Ignition off.
I recorded a lot of Break that day, until I clocked what it was doing! :laughing: