Ferry Mode

edd1974:
Maybe after using ferry mode you need to take an uninterrupted break of 9/ 11 hours when your stopped.?
In your case after using ferry mode you had 7 hrs 37 rest.

There’s no stipulation as to how long your uninterrupted rest period has to be before or after using ferry mode, the rules just say that you can interrupt the rest period twice for a total of 1 hour.

tachograph:

Old John:

tachograph:
To legally have a daily rest period on a ferry or train you must have access to a bunk or couchette.

Article 9 - Regulation (EC) No 561/2006 of the European Parliament and of the Council

Article 9 Regulation 561/2006

Ok, but my tachograph doesn’t know what arrangements were available on the ship, so why has it spat the dummy. That’s really all I want to know. TIA.

Sorry I never read the whole thread before posting :blush:

As far as your tachograph display showing the accumulated driving time for the 2 shifts is concerned, you don’t appear to have entered the end location when you parked up after getting off the ferry or the start location of the next shift, I’m not sure if 24 hour printouts show the start and end of shift locations, so did you enter the end and start of shift location when you parked up after getting off the ferry ?

I’m not sure about this but if you never entered the locations for the end and start of the shifts that could be why the tachograph has ignored the daily rest period.

eddit: I don’t know how old your tachograph is but as far as I can remember older tachographs never calculated for ferry movements, they just marked the card/printout with the ferry symbol and left you to do the calculations to keep legal.

Thanks for this. It was a domestic ferry journey from the Outer Hebrides, so I didn’t think it was necessary to indicate locations. Lorry is 2013, so maybe it does leave it to the driver to do his own calculations. Fortunately, the combined driving time for today and yesterday was just under 9 hrs, so that’s one less issue. I’m not bothered about the apparent infringement, (or whatever it’s called this week) but I’m curious to understand why it happened.

Old John:

tachograph:

Old John:

tachograph:
To legally have a daily rest period on a ferry or train you must have access to a bunk or couchette.

Article 9 - Regulation (EC) No 561/2006 of the European Parliament and of the Council

Article 9 Regulation 561/2006

Ok, but my tachograph doesn’t know what arrangements were available on the ship, so why has it spat the dummy. That’s really all I want to know. TIA.

Sorry I never read the whole thread before posting :blush:

As far as your tachograph display showing the accumulated driving time for the 2 shifts is concerned, you don’t appear to have entered the end location when you parked up after getting off the ferry or the start location of the next shift, I’m not sure if 24 hour printouts show the start and end of shift locations, so did you enter the end and start of shift location when you parked up after getting off the ferry ?

I’m not sure about this but if you never entered the locations for the end and start of the shifts that could be why the tachograph has ignored the daily rest period.

eddit: I don’t know how old your tachograph is but as far as I can remember older tachographs never calculated for ferry movements, they just marked the card/printout with the ferry symbol and left you to do the calculations to keep legal.

Thanks for this. It was a domestic ferry journey from the Outer Hebrides, so I didn’t think it was necessary to indicate locations. Lorry is 2013, so maybe it does leave it to the driver to do his own calculations. Fortunately, the combined driving time for today and yesterday was just under 9 hrs, so that’s one less issue. I’m not bothered about the apparent infringement, (or whatever it’s called this week) but I’m curious to understand why it happened.

Strictly you should enter country of start and finish for every shift, irrelevant of whether or not you cross borders. It may be very rare to get a bust for it, but it does happen.

Ignoring whether or not you actually have a bunk or not, (you are aware of the requirement, and so Im sure you would get a cabin :smiley: ) I cant see any issue with your timings.

edd1974:
Maybe after using ferry mode you need to take an uninterrupted break of 9/ 11 hours when your stopped.?
In your case after using ferry mode you had 7 hrs 37 rest.

No.
Check the above links to the .gov site for how ferry mode works.

I haven’t had time to look properly, but it looks like you used ferry mode incorrectly. You turned it off at 01.13, when you should have turned it off after your rest at 09.something.
Ferry mode is like a switch, you turn it on when you park up at the port and start your rest, you turn it off when you finish your (correctly allocated) 11 hrs rest. There should be no more than 1 hour foe two vehicle movements to get on and off and the rest period has to be a minimum of 11 hours. As far as I am aware there is no stipulation on the length of the ferry journey.

Road2ruin:
I haven’t had time to look properly, but it looks like you used ferry mode incorrectly. You turned it off at 01.13, when you should have turned it off after your rest at 09.something.
Ferry mode is like a switch, you turn it on when you park up at the port and start your rest, you turn it off when you finish your (correctly allocated) 11 hrs rest. There should be no more than 1 hour foe two vehicle movements to get on and off and the rest period has to be a minimum of 11 hours. As far as I am aware there is no stipulation on the length of the ferry journey.

You stop in port and select rest.
When time to move onto boat, select ferry and make move. (This is the first interruption allowed by ferry mode rules, it ends when rest is selected as follows)
When stopped on boat select rest again.
When time to move off boat, select ferry mode. (this is the second interruption) and move off boat.
When stopped select rest again.
The two interruptions should be less than 1 hour total.

This seems to be what Old John has done, and is correct.

Franglais:

Road2ruin:

When time to move onto boat, select ferry and make move. (This is the first interruption allowed by ferry mode rules, it ends when rest is selected as follows)
When time to move off boat, select ferry mode. (this is the second interruption) and move off boat.

That’s not the way the one on my new Siemens smart tacho works. If I can work out how to upload a picture I will show a printout.

No idea if this will work, but hopefully pic is attached.

Road2ruin:

Franglais:

Road2ruin:

That’s not the way the one on my new Siemens smart tacho works. If I can work out how to upload a picture I will show a printout.

John has a 2013 truck.
His print out shows (to his eyes and mine at least) all correct.

Interesting that there is now a new way of doing things, with the new gen tachos though.
Something for us all to look out for.

Road2ruin:

Thanks for that. Very interesting!
Maybe that’s where I went wrong, in not selecting ferry mode when i stopped at the terminal, but I still seem to have complied with the published regs, as far as I can interpret them.
I’m been an O/D these last 45 years, so I suppose I’ll have to build a bonfire, and burn myself at the stake!!

Old John:

Road2ruin:

Maybe that’s where I went wrong, in not selecting ferry mode when i stopped at the terminal, but I still seem to have complied with the published regs, as far as I can interpret them.
I’m been an O/D these last 45 years, so I suppose I’ll have to build a bonfire, and burn myself at the stake!!

If it’s a first offence, you may get away with self-flagellation. Just try not to look like you’re enjoying it!

Sidevalve:

Old John:

Road2ruin:

If it’s a first offence, you may get away with self-flagellation. Just try not to look like you’re enjoying it!

Hmm. I have a notion that owning and driving a lorry for the last 45 years has to be as close as you can get to auto flagellation, and, giving that I can still manage to crack a smile most days, im going to struggle to look as though i’m not enjoying it.
I do, however, like the way you’re thinking!!

There are ACCESS to cabins for drivers available on Stena Belfast/Cairnryan also bunks available in drivers lounge P&O Larne/Cairnryan.
Crossings are 2hrs/2hrs 15mins roughly and perfectly legal to use ferry mode on these crossings same as the 4hr crossing Dublin/HH etc.
No where does it mention in drivers hours regulations that there is a minimum length boat journey ref utilising “ferry mode”.
Plus the key words are “ACCESS to a bunk/Couchette” you don’t have to legally use same!!!
Was told one time a “couchette” refers to the fold-down beds on a train!!!

Sent from my SM-A125F using Tapatalk

Might try this out on the Woolworth Fairy. It’s certainly a short crossing and I’ve certainly got access to a bunk. What could possibly go wrong?

the maoster:
Might try this out on the Woolworth Fairy. It’s certainly a short crossing and I’ve certainly got access to a bunk. What could possibly go wrong?

You`ll see this coming a mile off…

Don`t forget to get your duty-frees first!