Felixstowe Strike

robroy:

Franglais:

cav551:
It would be, {ref to my prev post.F} however the objective is to modernise working conditions and that in the eyes of the government and employers is a return to the conditions of the 18th century, in other words before there were any of these pesky trade unions.

My prev post had some good ideas didn`t it? Not claiming them as my own of course! :smiley:
You can find some more here

eur-lex.europa.eu/EN/legal-cont … %20offered.

EU law since 2019.

Not checked it out, but I’m assuming it’s some EU cack?
I’m not sure if you’re aware, so I better inform you, and break the news.
We had a referendum about 5 years ago, and…

We ain’t in the EU anymore. :open_mouth:
You’re welcome. :wink: :sunglasses:

youtu.be/kHue-HaXXzg

Lots of people dont know what theyre talking about.
Not many are so up front about their ignorance, so full marks for letting us know the value of this post from the first line.

Franglais:

robroy:

Franglais:

cav551:
It would be, {ref to my prev post.F} however the objective is to modernise working conditions and that in the eyes of the government and employers is a return to the conditions of the 18th century, in other words before there were any of these pesky trade unions.

My prev post had some good ideas didn`t it? Not claiming them as my own of course! :smiley:
You can find some more here

eur-lex.europa.eu/EN/legal-cont … %20offered.

EU law since 2019.

Not checked it out, but I’m assuming it’s some EU cack?
I’m not sure if you’re aware, so I better inform you, and break the news.
We had a referendum about 5 years ago, and…

We ain’t in the EU anymore. :open_mouth:
You’re welcome. :wink: :sunglasses:

youtu.be/kHue-HaXXzg

Lots of people dont know what theyre talking about.
Not many are so up front about their ignorance, so full marks for letting us know the value of this post from the first line.

Same as… ‘‘Lots of people’’ (well you anyway) post mind numbingly boring links which more often than not, usually pertain to the same theme…ie any ■■■■■■■ thing pro EU, which I tend to avoid…
But hey! If you want to interpret it in the way thereof, that anybody who does not share your fascination and obsessions is ignorant,.well that’s your prerogative.

More than 1,900 members of Unite union at Felixstowe will strike for eight days from Sunday 21 August until Monday 29 August.

Reported by sky news, More talks are due to take place on Monday.

OwenMoney:
More than 1,900 members of Unite union at Felixstowe will strike for eight days from Sunday 21 August until Monday 29 August.

Doubt if anybody will notice. Dockers have always been lazy frecers in my opinion.

They can always ask the Liverpool dockers how to organise a successful strike…

:sunglasses:

The Unite union has announced the strike will begin at 7am on 27 September, and run until 6.59am on 5 October, after port workers rejected a 7% pay deal offered by management. It threatens to cause fresh disruption to UK supply chains after the shocks of Brexit and the Covid pandemic.

those who didnt strike last time got a £400 bonus so theyll be lookin forward to this next strike.

Youd av to ■■■■■■■ the [zb] port owners before theyd give in ,in my opinion.

[Language edit. L. ]

robroy:
I see the ‘‘Representative of the working people’’ who leads what is supposed to be the ‘‘Party for the working people’’ has sacked one of his top ministers for showing support for striking railway workers (his own ex colleagues)
So now the ‘‘Labour Party’’ is clearly going against the organisation that was the original catalyst for it’s very existence…you couldn’t make it up. :laughing:

The Labour Party hasn’t been the party of the working man since 1997 when Teflon Tony took over. He sucked up to the City and big business more than the Tories ever did. 300% house price rises in a decade as he relaxed mortgage lending so you could borrow 125% of the value of the house and self certify your income. NHS spending went up but it was done with PFI loans from the City with very generous terms and profits, saddling the NHS with debt repayments until 2050 with £50Bn still to be repaid and some trusts spending a sixth of their annual budget servicing those loans.

It became even less of a party of the working man under Magic Grandpa when the last of old Labour, people like John Prescott, Alan Johnson etc who’d come from working class backgrounds and had real jobs before going into politics, were punted out of the party.

Franglais:
What we need is better legislation. Stuff this zero hours

Great thanks. It’d ■■■■ over a lot of disabled people like myself, subjecting them to a life of poverty. The only reason I’ve been able to work for the past 20 years and have a decent standard of living instead of having to live a life in poverty grubbing by on benefits is because of the existence of zero hour contracts. Students also benefit massively from zero hours contracts too, it allowing them to work around their studies and exams.

There are a lot of people for whom zero hours contracts work well. Lorry driving happens to be one sector where zero hours contracts work really well due to the level of demand.

Oh and one of the downsides of getting rid of zero hours contracts which will affect everyone including you is that the price of stuff will have to go up so firms can cover the costs of paying people that they have no work for.

Conor:

Franglais:

Great thanks. It’d [zb] over a lot of disabled people like myself, subjecting them to a life of poverty. The only reason I’ve been able to work for the past 20 years and have a decent standard of living instead of having to live a life in poverty grubbing by on benefits is because of the existence of zero hour contracts. Students also benefit massively from zero hours contracts too, it allowing them to work around their studies and exams.

There are a lot of people for whom zero hours contracts work well. Lorry driving happens to be one sector where zero hours contracts work really well due to the level of demand.

Oh and one of the downsides of getting rid of zero hours contracts which will affect everyone including you is that the price of stuff will have to go up so firms can cover the costs of paying people that they have no work for.

But then there’s a middle ground to be had surely? Zero hours works for some, not so for others, but as I see it in any case the balance is almost always tipped in favour of a business. Ask an Amazon warehouse worker how they feel about zero hours contracts which involve people turning up for work onky to be told they’re not needed today :open_mouth:

There is nothing wrong with zero hours per se, but there seems to be a dearth of options between zero hours and full time hours. Maybe there should be more willingness to allow for flexible working on a fixed amount of hours as opposed to allowing flexibility on zero hours?

Conor:

Franglais:

Great thanks. It’d [zb] over a lot of disabled people like myself, subjecting them to a life of poverty. The only reason I’ve been able to work for the past 20 years and have a decent standard of living instead of having to live a life in poverty grubbing by on benefits is because of the existence of zero hour contracts. Students also benefit massively from zero hours contracts too, it allowing them to work around their studies and exams.

Where is it written that benefits need to be at starvation levels?
Who says that those who need time off on the sick can be easily sacked?
Who has been trying their best to get more sick people to work? (And giving money to private companies to do so).

Students have often worked on temp and part time jobs. They were before the zero hours contracts became as popular and widespread as now.

Oh! And who was full of praise for the UK gov when they eventually stopped robbing agency workers and gave them what they were previously given over most of the EU? (except the special case of Sweden)

Conor:

But youre so right! Lets just hire any labour needed at the factory gates every morning. Back to the good ole days.
And cut unemployment benefit further to keep `em keen!

I think the impending recession will have an effect on those of us who routinely do zero hours contracts