Feeling annoyed

Most car drivers either don’t know or don’t care that lorries need a lot of room to turn. It seems to me that once that car door is shut, driving is way down on the list of things to think about. Especially at this time of year.
I’ve had people mount the pavement to get past me, despite my left indicator being on. Glad to know it’s not just me.

Captain Caveman 76:
Most car drivers either don’t know or don’t care that lorries need a lot of room to turn. It seems to me that once that car door is shut, driving is way down on the list of things to think about. Especially at this time of year.
I’ve had people mount the pavement to get past me, despite my left indicator being on. Glad to know it’s not just me.

[ quote. 'Glad to know it’s not just me ].

It is’nt. :laughing:

London need I say anymore …

simon1958:
Where does any driving instructor or the Highway Code make it clear about a truck that has to make a broad swing into a junction or entrance to property or premises despite having an appropriate indicator on?

Rule 221

Large vehicles. These may need extra road space to turn or to deal with a hazard that you are not able to see. If you are following a large vehicle, such as a bus or articulated lorry, be aware that the driver may not be able to see you in the mirrors. Be prepared to stop and wait if it needs room or time to turn.

MrFlibble:

simon1958:
Where does any driving instructor or the Highway Code make it clear about a truck that has to make a broad swing into a junction or entrance to property or premises despite having an appropriate indicator on?

Rule 221

Large vehicles. These may need extra road space to turn or to deal with a hazard that you are not able to see. If you are following a large vehicle, such as a bus or articulated lorry, be aware that the driver may not be able to see you in the mirrors. Be prepared to stop and wait if it needs room or time to turn.

No disagreement to your post ( image of the vehicle behind indicating right ), but the issue here surely was that about other vehicles ( cars, vans etc ) not understanding the road space required by larger vehicles. Eg, in the case of truck going to make a legitimate manoeuvre into a filling station forecourt but having to take a wide turn without ‘mr. car driver’ thinking that left indicator’s a joke… Or trucks are slow, I’ll take m’ chance up the ■■? inside of him… :confused:

I find that if you treat everyone else on the road as though they are a moron, you won’t go far wrong :grimacing:

PS. Mr fibble.Car drivers don’t seem to a knowledge the Highway Code anymore. It seems to be a free for all :laughing:

Dave55:
You ain’t done nothing bad mate, no one has got hurt - apart from your pride maybe! You will have learnt from it, no good beating yourself up over it - two weeks down the line it will have been forgotten. The bit that ■■■■■■ me off is the paperwork involved in a ding!

Pretty much as above, I should think most of us on here can understand the situation you were in, and sympathies, and it’s only a bit of paint and obviously a claim for whiplash and psychological distress for the driver and their extended family who happened to be in the car at the time. :imp:

Hi,you could always argue that the inside lane wasn’t clear due to your trailer being in it and they undertook you and tell them you needed two lanes to make a safe manoeuvre onto the next junction,first rule of lorry driving,if you need all the road take all the road.Don’t admit to anything insurance companies will always go for the easy target and haulage companies are notorious for accepting blame on our behalf,if those idiots can’t make a educated descision then they shouldn’t be allowed out without supervision,you did nothing wrong,i bet they were driving German cars.

simon1958:
I I’ve always thought there’s long been an ‘achles heal’ in the Highway Code’ where trucks are concerned. I’m not quoting word-for-word, but from memory it went something like… Make allowances for younger drivers due to less experience on their road skills.
Make allowances for elderly drivers because their reaction times may be slower.

Seem’s the rat-race society’s in thermal runaway mode :open_mouth: :wink: :unamused:

I always used to teach about the extra room HGV’s need particularly after getting my licence, but an awful lot of car drivers forget everything they are taught apart from how to control the car after they pass.

Thanks for all the replies , this was my first incident as I’ve only been driving a year and it was just so annoying that thanks to a car driver not paying attention to what’s happening around him (black Mercedes) I’ve now had an accident .
Lesson learnt not to assume that just because it’s London traffic that all will be diving for the gaps and on the go some will be busy doing other things when they should be driving and it’s up to me to be observant for them .

I treat all road users as if they are naughty children about to throw their toys out of the pram, and you can’t go far wrong .

dani1972:

simon1958:
I I’ve always thought there’s long been an ‘achles heal’ in the Highway Code’ where trucks are concerned. I’m not quoting word-for-word, but from memory it went something like… Make allowances for younger drivers due to less experience on their road skills.
Make allowances for elderly drivers because their reaction times may be slower.

Seem’s the rat-race society’s in thermal runaway mode :open_mouth: :wink: :unamused:

I always used to teach about the extra room HGV’s need particularly after getting my licence, but an awful lot of car drivers forget everything they are taught apart from how to control the car after they pass.

Fair comment danni 1972,.
But how many subscribe to the basic rules., Certainly not car drivers. There’s a posting on here which relates to the latter art of your statement…EVERYTING THEY ARE TAUGHT… To which I add, they’ve forgotten… It’s called the Highway Code.

Love it or loathe it, at least it sets out a standard. My greivence is the ’ halo & horns ’ driver ***t. He sees any vehicle dressed white / blue / yellow … His wings come up. … Anything else on the strip’s a joke

simon1958:

MrFlibble:

simon1958:

Rule 221

No disagreement to your post ( image of the vehicle behind indicating right ), but the issue here surely was that about other vehicles ( cars, vans etc ) not understanding the road space required by larger vehicles. Eg, in the case of truck going to make a legitimate manoeuvre into a filling station forecourt but having to take a wide turn without ‘mr. car driver’ thinking that left indicator’s a joke… Or trucks are slow, I’ll take m’ chance up the ■■? inside of him… :confused:

I would have thought that it covers that situation. The rule is “Large vehicles. These may need extra road space to turn…Be prepared to stop and wait if it needs room or time to turn.” Isn’t that exactly what you’re talking about? Yes, the specific picture is highlighting the fact that the truck needs to use the other side of the road it’s turning into, and some of the offside of the road it’s turning from (rather than the fact that the trailer will cut the corner), but it would be unreasonable to expect the HC to show examples of every possible situation where a truck might need a bit more space. The starting statement of the rule that I’ve quoted above is the catch-all - large vehicles need more space.

simon1958:
PS. Mr fibble.Car drivers don’t seem to a knowledge the Highway Code anymore. It seems to be a free for all :laughing:

True, but you asked where the HC says that large vehicles need more room; I simply answered your question :wink:

Gillberry:
Lesson learnt not to assume

You know what they say. Assumption is the mother of all ■■■■ ups. My dad told me something before I became a driver that his driving instructor told him back in the 70s and it’s good advice.

Always expect the unexpected and never expect anything.

Sounds to me like you didn’t shut the back door properly if 2 cars managed to squeeze down the inside. If you can’t completely stop both lanes of traffic from coming down the sides then always take more of the left lane as that is where your trailer is going to drag over to when you turn. Don’t worry about upsetting them, they’re too stupid to realise you’re actually doing them a favour. If they blast the horn just take it as a thank you and move on, don’t react to it. If you make eye contact always smile and wave, really winds them up.

Even shutting the back door won’t work in come cases. I once, like you, had to make a tight turn onto a roundabout with 2 lanes and I completely shut the back door off. Some brain of Britain put his white van (typical) half on the central reservation and tried to overtake me going round the island. We both wanted the same exit which was also tight so I commanded both lanes on the exit and he ended up having to go all round the island to get back to the exit as there was nowhere for him to go. He gave me the classic trifecta when he caught up with me. Lights, horn and a hand gesture. I just waved at him.

These people are too stupid to drive so you have to drive for them.

Having said that, this car was stationary so he cannot take all the blame. What if he had stalled or broke down or not seen the lights change. Observation when turning is paramount and in a situation like this when 2 cars have come up your inside even after trying to block the lane off you may have been better just letting them go first.

Terry T , that is where the lesson is learnt , so used to London traffic squeezing up the side of you even when it doesn’t seem possible and moving as soon as lights change which is why when the lights changed and I saw the movement of the first car wrongly assumed the second would move and so I started moving looking to the right for the ones cutting across my front and then back to the left to make sure no one else was trying to come up my inside when I saw the second car stationary with my side bars resting on him . The annoyance was with myself for not making sure my inside was clear and for the fact that due to someone not paying attention to the road I’ve had my first accident in years .

Gillberry:
Terry T , that is where the lesson is learnt , so used to London traffic squeezing up the side of you even when it doesn’t seem possible and moving as soon as lights change which is why when the lights changed and I saw the movement of the first car wrongly assumed the second would move and so I started moving looking to the right for the ones cutting across my front and then back to the left to make sure no one else was trying to come up my inside when I saw the second car stationary with my side bars resting on him . The annoyance was with myself for not making sure my inside was clear and for the fact that due to someone not paying attention to the road I’ve had my first accident in years .

Sh*t happens mate, tbh its London everyone drives like idiots and squeezes in where possible. I know you should have observed and sene him but yes you lost concentration for a second and caught him with your side rail but accidents happen. Don’t beat yourself up about it, its just one of them things insurance is there for a reason mate.

Gillberry:
thanks to a car driver not paying attention to what’s happening around him…

Oh the irony. :laughing:

Contraflow:

Gillberry:
thanks to a car driver not paying attention to what’s happening around him…

Oh the irony. :laughing:

:smiley: :smiley: best coment of the lot contra wins hands down (or left hand down …crunch to late) :wink:

I posted on here a week or two back about the soppy cow that mounted the pavement to get up the inside even though I thought I’d closed the back door :open_mouth:
Her car popped out from under the trailer wheel like a stone. :laughing:

So ya can’t win 'em all.