Feel like giving up

Mikey D:
Dont give up mate , must be pretty disheartening but you have spent a lot of money getting that license .
You may have seen my thread about my first class 2 job , i was taken on on the understanding that its on a months trial . That suits me just fine .
my new boss said i was the right age (42) ,was keen ( i had made a real effort with my cv etc ) came in too see them a couple of times etc and had the right atitude .
A lot of experienced /old skool truckers have the wrong / bad attitude , so was happy to give me a job despite just passing my test .
OK the work wouldnt suit everyone , basically moving a waste product (aluminium oxide) from a factory to a landfill site .
In fact most experienced drivers probably wouldnt touch it with a bargepole :unamused:
Have you tried the local skip hire companies etc

my local road sweeper company are currently advertising for drivers, experience not necessarily needed .

Hope something turns up soon and if it does, as has been said grab it with both hands .

cheers Mike

Thanks Mike i hadnt thought about skips…experience thing again, bur i will give them a go first thing on monday

Paul

Jennie:
Google Indeed job search its a search engine for looking for jobs you put in your requirements and how far you are willing to travel and it emails you jobs available you can then apply for the ones you like the look of

jen x

Thanks Jen hadnt tried indeed, am registered now so hopefully the emails will start coming through.

Fingers crossed

Paul

Don’t give up pal, this industry needs keen individuals like yourself it always is hard to begin with for most. I luckily got an artic day after I passed my test, and still got work a year later even though I didn’t have two years exp as I had a good attitude it goes a long way!!
Good luck hope it works out :slight_smile:

6 years experience - what a load of bollox.

I’ve just got my 6 years in and I’m still crap :laughing: Seriously though, what planet are they on? Are they dismissing drivers with 4 or 5 years experience just like that?

Its true 8wheels, they are disadvantaging experienced drivers, its mad.

OllieNotts, thats just it, I am keen but that doesnt count for experience, but will keep trying…thanks for the support and encouragement

Dont give up mate keep trying it will happen, i passed my my C+E 3rd of march 2011 and yesterday 25/3/11 got a job its nights but its a start :smiley: but like you i was on google and walking the industrial est and now need a new pair of shoes destroying the forests with all the paper i was using for printing off my CV and cover letters.

Try this web site too

easyashgv.co.uk/HGV-Jobs.html

And good luck
Steveig

natsdad:

Jennie:
Google Indeed job search its a search engine for looking for jobs you put in your requirements and how far you are willing to travel and it emails you jobs available you can then apply for the ones you like the look of

jen x

Thanks Jen hadnt tried indeed, am registered now so hopefully the emails will start coming through.

Fingers crossed

Paul

BTW apply for all ones your interested in even if the expeirence thingy is written u never know mabe your the only one to apply that fits all the other requirements and they may just like the sound of you luck is out there honest Ive managed to grab some myself it will be your time soon !!! :wink:

Jen x

natsdad:
OllieNotts, thats just it, I am keen but that doesnt count for experience, but will keep trying…thanks for the support and encouragement

Yes it does count, there are many on here plying their trade after “getting on” with someone without the experience, I know it is hard and it will all seem like so long ago as soon as you do get a job but you got to keep on hanging in there :wink:

roadrunner:

Wheel Nut:

roadrunner:
As they say on dragons den " Let me tell you where i am." I passed my class 2 in 2004 to drive a 12 ton merc atego transporter.

(i decided to do my HIAB ticket in between ) I managed to secure a job delivering groceries for an online retailer in a sprinter van,

ZB me, how big were the parcels? :laughing:

Seriously handballing up to 100kgs spread over 10 boxes up 10 flights of stairs, with busted lifts in a slum towerblock surrounded by smackheads at 10.30pm on a saturday night is no fun and all to be completed within your alloted 7-9 minute drop time, you were given anything up to 21 drops over 90-200 miles per shift but it payed the bills, free gym membership included :grimacing:

This sounds familiar… 7 minutes for four totes, 7 minutes for 16 totes, the time never changes lol

I’ve delivered white goods in the past, which could be described as handballing too! Especially taking a 6ft fridge freezer upstairs to the 6th floor with no lift…

But the shifts were interesting and I’m sure I got lots of exercise :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I’m just starting my Cat C training now :wink: Hopefully moving up from regular 7.5t work plus 2 years experience on Cat D :wink: In the meantime I’m unemployed :frowning: