Favourite ferry

Harwich to Hamburg or bremerhaven on the prinz ferries was a brilliant crossing and the food in the smorgesborg (excuse the spelling ) was brilliant as well and freight drivers were looked after great cabins and spotless as well . Cheers Dennis

the flying foden:

kerbut:
Remember the Gabriel Weir well, the duty free shop was the broom cupboard .

and the Thomas Wier was glad to see the back of them :slight_smile:

Here you go, for old times sake. Some photos linked from shipspotting.com

The Gabriele Wehr was scrapped sometime during 2013 after a long series of subsequent names and owners. The Thomas Wehr still sails today in the Black Sea between Turkey and Russia as the Lider Samsun. As bad as thry may have seemed at the time, being well maintained German ships, imagine how rubbish the Thomas Wehr would be now at her age and the part of the world its operating in.

looks like the ol purbeck outa poole robin another crossing which could be enjoyable was algeciras /tangier with comnav or spanish line as well as 200 bensons 4 seven pound never smoked in me life but sold a few lol

stevejones:
looks like the ol purbeck outa poole robin another crossing which could be enjoyable was algeciras /tangier with comnav or spanish line as well as 200 bensons 4 seven pound never smoked in me life but sold a few lol

None of those Algeciras / Tangier ferries was nice! But they WERE interesting! Robert :laughing:

From a purely nostalgic POV, the four Harwich-Hook ferries of the late 70s: St Edmund, St George, koningin Juliana & Prinses Beatrix (think the latter became the Duc de Normandie?)

You lads have all been spoilt over the years! No ones mentioned the Munster or the Leinster Dublin/Liverpool. 8 hours of rough Irish Sea. Great on a Friday night. [emoji482]

THE FIN103:
You lads have all been spoilt over the years! No ones mentioned the Munster or the Leinster Dublin/Liverpool. 8 hours of rough Irish Sea. Great on a Friday night. [emoji482]

The roughest I did was the maiden voyage of the RO-RO Express crossing from Southampton to Tangiers via Oporto in February: hurricane force 12 across Biscay. We were cannoned out of bed, ended up with food in our laps before the kitchen gave up even attempting grub! It was a big boat too! Robert

Anyone remember the Argo that used to do Dover\Zeebrugge late 80s early 90s

not sure but think was on it but did that route few times that era one i been on over here is sydney nova scotia to port a basques newfoundland 8hrs into atlantic can be very eventful in winter :smiley:

EASTKENT:
Its got to be the Tallink silja line ferry from Stockholm to Helsinki its about an 18hr crossing with absolutely every thing you would want on board the food in the drivers lounge is like eating at the hilton spot on. :smiley:

agreed, although the viking line ferries are a close second. the drivers sauna is not too shabby either, compared to the slightly warm room some establishments call a sauna :smiley: washer and dryer as well, even free washing powder.

Schiaffino (sp?) out of Oostende to Ramsgate was always recommended by my boss at one time! :unamused: :laughing: I cant tell you how many times I raced to get on that one! :smiley:

robert1952:

THE FIN103:

The roughest I did was the maiden voyage of the RO-RO Express crossing from Southampton to Tangiers via Oporto in February: hurricane force 12 across Biscay. We were cannoned out of bed, ended up with food in our laps before the kitchen gave up even attempting grub! It was a big boat too! Robert

. Another one in my black book! Gothenburg to immingham. On the Calladonia. Should of took 36 hours! Left Gothenburg mon night. Arrived immingham Friday ! There was a bible in the cabin. I read it inside out. [emoji83]

milodon:

EASTKENT:
Its got to be the Tallink silja line ferry from Stockholm to Helsinki its about an 18hr crossing with absolutely every thing you would want on board the food in the drivers lounge is like eating at the hilton spot on. :smiley:

agreed, although the viking line ferries are a close second. the drivers sauna is not too shabby either, compared to the slightly warm room some establishments call a sauna :smiley: washer and dryer as well, even free washing powder.

Viking is much better, better food and everything, estonians spoiled Silja Line, like they did the Superfast. Superfast Hanko - Rostock was very nice when greeks operated it.

well if silja line’s expenses on cargo drivers and other things had been sustainable they wouldn’t have been bought out by tallink now would they :laughing:

but my vote for the best food would definitely be color line’s sandefjord-strömstad boats, second to none :sunglasses:

either of the prides from Portsmout to Lehavre or dover zeebrugge boats hiway seaway and the other one whos name escapes me

milodon:

EASTKENT:

I would say Viking Line tops Silja big time. Especially since Grace arrived, although the driver cabin could be a bit bigger, when even the toilet is bigger there’s something wrong. Best thing with Viking is that you can use the tickets in Tax Free

But my vote definitely goes to Wasaline (vaasa - umeå), mostly because it’s just 5min from home :smiley: and the fun you can have waiting watching the guys trying to reverse on to it, seriously how did some get a licenses? Also it’s the only ferry I have manged to get to wait on me, just 5 minutes but anyway,

Don’t know about the best but my worst was the one from Liverpool to Belfast which was not wide enough to turn an A frame trailer around on the car deck so had to reverse down the ramp which had a 90 deg. bend in the middle! :frowning:

Most memorable ones were the Cinderella from Finland to Russia…and Ancona to Igoumenista…and a lovely drive over the mountains to Athens…worst was Schiaffino out of Dover, and the one where you went down below decks ( with the truck ) on a platform held with chains cant remember the name…and the other one that only held a few drivers the rest had to get on a plane what was that one called…the other miseries were the old FE series run by P&O especially on the Zeebrugge run…wake up in the morning with the floor swimming in water…and a butler making the tea…ha ha went on all the early ones FE1n etc etc had some great times though.

Brittany ferries Plymouth - Santander on Pont Aven - 20 hours of relaxation

the flying foden:

kerbut:
Remember the Gabriel Weir well, the duty free shop was the broom cupboard .

and the Thomas Wier was glad to see the back of them :slight_smile:

Ahh ! the Thomas Wehr…I shipped from Poole to Viana do Castello early 80’s. In fact I went on the inaugural crossing ! We had a “firework reception” when we arrived and then I had to show the Alfandega what to do with the ECMT book… Then we used to shunt unnacompanied trailers to the Algarve and Lisbon, reload from Oporto,
GS

At the Helm on the Bridge.