Favorite Routiers and other European Truckstops

another good eating place i dont think has been mentioned was the foughes(forks resturant) on the old road from le harve to roeuon,(bad spelling i know)could always get a good meal there,and remember many a calverdous going down the neck before punching it through to mont blanc. :unamused: :laughing:

rondavies:
All those routiers you guys have mentioned bring the memories flooding back. There were so many back in the 70’s & 80’s

Those at Orte north of Rome have been mentioned. There were several there and they would take it in turns which one would stay open all weekend. What was the one called which had the owner’s relative (nephew, I think) who’d had the “op” and was always dressed up as a female? Not that I was interested!!! :laughing:

Stayed at these resturants nearly every night for 3 years solid when i was on for alliance medical pulling the MRI scanners.that nephew who bacame the niece sure was plug ugly.Always parked at the one on the right which shared the parking area with the supermarket.HAPPY HARRYS we nick named it cos the boss never smiled.Happy days.The ■■■■■■ resturant was called carlos i think,there was also a great pizzeria behind the big furniture shop

Hi OssieD
Just seen your post about the Hotel Restaurant du Col du Bonhomme, I agree with your comments about the friendly atmosphere and trout with almonds, good place to stop after leaving the Swiss border on a friday night heading home, another one of my favourite routier stops was Relais Ste. Marie on the RN44 Reims - St Quentin. Both have changed hands now sadly I did stop at both of these in 2011 whilst on holiday in France. Hope you are keeping well.
Best regards
Ken Davies

can anyone on this thread tell me or remember the routiers in bethun,i used to use it a lot when i did convoy work to swiss,a loverly old lady used to run it,was something to do with the french resistance if the old grey matter serves me well,(i dont think)was on the left hand side of the road heading in the direction of reims. :unamused: :unamused:

anyone remember the routies at pon d ain,just by the bridge after dropping down off the old cedon■■? :unamused: stopped there quite a lot, always had a good menue and at a fair price. :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

here is another one for you all,when driving for SCA we alway used the routiers at MORGEX heading down the blanc toward aosta,i remember a loverly lady in there called maria,fell in love with her and the food. :laughing:

re the routiers at the top of the bonhomm,that was a great stop for many, but did you know or use the one at the bottom of the bonhomm,french side just before the accent up the mountain, i know that a lot of woods out of harlow used it also,im 66 now and the brain isnt working so well these days, may be someone on here can jog my memory :frowning: :frowning:

bev wyatt:
re the routiers at the top of the bonhomm,that was a great stop for many, but did you know or use the one at the bottom of the bonhomm,french side just before the accent up the mountain, i know that a lot of woods out of harlow used it also,im 66 now and the brain isnt working so well these days, may be someone on here can jog my memory :frowning: :frowning:

.BEV stop arsing about on here and get on with some work you old codger.Best regard LEE

newmercman:

magnum mark:
Bakehouse,Algerians,Tonys at Wurzburg, Wally Stop, Reienbollen, Chrasio, Campo, all great places…
I use the tank cleaning stations now, safe to park and good food and clean showers. Most of all not many wombles use them!!! :unamused:

Rheinbollen, that’s the one I was thinking of on the 61 :wink:

I landed at rheinbollen[1st time]on a Saturday morn.I was w/ended and found the autohof closed lunchtime till mon morn.It was snowing heavy but I spent a good w/end across the rd in the hotel forgot the name]which also had parking for trucks at the rear.
regards dave.

:smiley: hello lee,i recon you got a tracker on me, hope your keeping well my old friend and in good health,just do three day a week now for an agency up here mate,just been looking at SCA thread,remornsing (my spelling is getting worse mate) my old days with the lads on there, mind you theres a lot of them long gone now mate,still on for wincanton are you???take care lee,happy new year mate. :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :laughing:Ps go to the bulldog site mate, a nice picture of my old142 scania on there when i was on for them.

My favourite was the Shell garage at Moulin le Charix near Nantua on the National. Always a warm welcome, great food, decent free hot shower and a days drive from the boat worked out right.

Regards,

Mark.

Let’s see now? Jeanette’s Collonges,Brunos Prato,Billy’s Prato, Bakehouse, Whitehouse,Charlies,Harrys Tunnel St Marie, Drehschieber Muttenz,Tony’s Basel Grenz,Henry’s Muttenz,Gate Caff,Silvertown Caff.Bert’s Brentwood,Trafford Park Truck Stop,Albion Dover,Vitorelle1+2,The Ranch Le Junquera,Zona Franca bars,Max Casteldefels,Nules,Cambrills,St Anna,Yacht Club Tangier’s,Marco Polo,Seamans Mission,Oasis ,McDonald’s Rabat,Texas bar Lisbon,Texas Bar Barna,Meson David Barna,Maria’s Algeciras,Franco’s Barna,Red Cow Dublin,Geiselwind,Rheinbollen, Col le Bonhomme,Wally Stop,Hazeldonk Routiers,Vivonne,Irun Aduanas,Victors,Harry’s Fish Market Greece,Freds,3 Hermanos Boceguillias,The Brothers nr.Irun,Routiers Gare St Charles Perpignan,Berlin fruit Market canteen,Frankfurt Cargo Flughaven canteen,these are a few of my favourite things.

How did you blokes ever get any work done - especially you, Harry :smiley:

David

It was a leisurely banquet interrupted by short bursts of burnt rubber…Heaven.
Healthy New Year ,David.
GF gave this iPad for Xmas. She believes that technology will make me happy.
That & the cocktail of drugs I take to keep me standing upright.
Regards to V & L .Hope they are well.

Good place for a late meal was the Total garage on the bend just north of Tournus, you could still get a decent steak and chips up till midnight if you were too late for the 3 routiers just up the road.

kendavies:
Hi OssieD
Just seen your post about the Hotel Restaurant du Col du Bonhomme, I agree with your comments about the friendly atmosphere and trout with almonds, good place to stop after leaving the Swiss border on a friday night heading home, another one of my favourite routier stops was Relais Ste. Marie on the RN44 Reims - St Quentin. Both have changed hands now sadly I did stop at both of these in 2011 whilst on holiday in France. Hope you are keeping well.
Best regards
Ken Davies

Hi KEN, Yes we have spent many a good night in Relais Ste. Marie on the way back to Calais, and missed many a boat through having a good night there to, many a good tale could be told about that place, sad to hear its changed hands. Didn’t see it on Harry’s list he must be slipping.

BEV WYATT, Relais Ste. Marie is this the Routiers your thinking of? On the way to Reims.

Ossie

chazzer:
Good place for a late meal was the Total garage on the bend just north of Tournus, you could still get a decent steak and chips up till midnight if you were too late for the 3 routiers just up the road.

Hullo Charlie,
Talking of Tournus, do you remember the Glasshouse, just opposite the Shell, before you got to the Low Bridge going South. It was on the Right. One of the first places I ate in, I was with Johnny Southern off of MAT at the time. He suggested I tried Androilette ( I know I’ve spelt it wrong ), a sort of Tripe and Chittling Sausage, I did eat it though. After that I always tried to stop there the food was great. (apart from that poxy sausage ). Gradually though it became a posh persons place to eat, and the strip of roadside that was used by Trucks to park up on soon dissapeared, It is now a Posh Motel. Mind you mate that would still be good enough for thee and me to eat in eh ?
Cheers, Archie.

It certainly would Archie but as you say it was pot luck as to whether you could park there but on the road from Chalon to Bourg there must have been at least 10 good Routiers worth stopping at.

Archie Paice:

chazzer:

Hullo Charlie,
Talking of Tournus, do you remember the Glasshouse, just opposite the Shell, before you got to the Low Bridge going South. It was on the Right. One of the first places I ate in, I was with Johnny Southern off of MAT at the time. He suggested I tried Androilette ( I know I’ve spelt it wrong ), a sort of Tripe and Chittling Sausage, I did eat it though. After that I always tried to stop there the food was great. (apart from that poxy sausage ). Gradually though it became a posh persons place to eat, and the strip of roadside that was used by Trucks to park up on soon dissapeared, It is now a Posh Motel. Mind you mate that would still be good enough for thee and me to eat in eh ?
Cheers, Archie.

Archie,
You nearly made me gip then talking about that sausage, nearly had it once at a Routiers on the N65 just off the Autoroute at Auxerre, even the French driver sitting next me tried to worn me off ordering it, when it turned up the sight of it was terrible and when I cut it open the smell was atrocious, even the French driver got up and moved away, I ate the chips but left the sausage, even the waitress laughed, needless to say never ordered it again, only time ever had a bad meal in France.

Ossie

You mean this little number.

google.co.uk/search?hl=en&s … 0QWioIDQAg