Favorite Routiers and other European Truckstops

The last snap is outside Rheims . Where that camion is parked they put up a no parking for trucks sign. I unbolted the disc and took it home with me. Years later I sold it on eBay . :laughing:

]

harry:
I’d like a Roschti & a flute of Hopfenperler right now,Ken. :smiley:
Never tasted the same in UK.

Is this what you mean Harry?
hopfenperle.pnghttp://www.trucknetuk.com/phpBB/download/file.php?mode=view&id=114111&sid=ce2e79[attachment=0]Roesti.jpg[/attachment989a18ac6a079f0b96b7f889e5

Roesti.jpg

kendavies:
]

harry:

Is this what you mean Harry?1http://www.trucknetuk.com/phpBB/download/file.php?mode=view&id=114111&sid=ce2e79[attachment=0]Roesti.jpg[/attachment989a18ac6a079f0b96b7f889e5

Sorry,Ken. That’s a tulpin,won’t taste the same :unamused:

And I’ll have some leberli with that roschti ,looks a bit dry?

harry:

kendavies:
]

harry:

Is this what you mean Harry?http://www.trucknetuk.com/phpBB/download/file.php?mode=view&id=114111&sid=ce2e79[attachment=0]Roesti.jpg[/attachment989a18ac6a079f0b96b7f889e5

I guess you will have to pay Tony a visit at the Restaurant Landesgrenze then!!http://www.trucknetuk.com/phpBB/download/file.php?mode=view&id=114124&sid=5ae2f5d1ee8a9e637a3455fe6491922b

Leberli mit Roesti.gif

I was just telling Roger that when I got probs with Swiss boss’s not paying I used to leave the loaded truck on the French side,walk over to Tony’s & hand him all the paperwork for the load & the truck then go down to the firms yard & tell them if they didn’t pay cash they would never see their truck again. Always worked.I used to take the rest of the day off in Tony’s :laughing:

kendavies:

harry:

kendavies:
]

harry:

Is this what you mean Harry?2http://www.trucknetuk.com/phpBB/download/file.php?mode=view&id=114111&sid=ce2e79[attachment=0]Roesti.jpg[/attachment989a18ac6a079f0b96b7f889e5

I guess you will have to pay Tony a visit at the Restaurant Landesgrenze then!!http://www.trucknetuk.com/phpBB/download/file.php?mode=view&id=114124&sid=5ae2f5d1ee8a9e637a3455fe6491922b

Still no flute -gonna die of thirst here :unamused:

harry:
I was just telling Roger that when I got probs with Swiss boss’s not paying I used to leave the loaded truck on the French side,walk over to Tony’s & hand him all the paperwork for the load & the truck then go down to the firms yard & tell them if they didn’t pay cash they would never see their truck again. Always worked.I used to take the rest of the day off in Tony’s :laughing:

Yeah Tony Sigrist was his name, worked for Wanner Schaffhausen before taking on the Landesgrenze. Do you know if he’s still alive??

harry:

kendavies:

harry:

kendavies:
]

harry:

Is this what you mean Harry?2http://www.trucknetuk.com/phpBB/download/file.php?mode=view&id=114111&sid=ce2e79[attachment=0]Roesti.jpg[/attachment989a18ac6a079f0b96b7f889e5

Have a stange instead

kendavies:

harry:

kendavies:

harry:

kendavies:
]

harry:

Have a stange instead

Gonna have to -but you don’t get Hopfenperler in Stangers… ? Like drinking wine in a jam jar:roll:

Best I can do Harry, seems all the flute are used in Belgium for the Kriek beer! glhttp://www.trucknetuk.com/phpBB/downl … 42498asses

hopfenperle glass.png

Evening all, have really enjoyed this thread!

Many places mentioned I have enjoyed their food, (and of more relevance the company enjoyed),…for I always found that the “Craic” was the greatest stimulus to return…

But a little story…

Back in 78, I was tasked with “entertaining”, a collection of the “movers and shakers” of (then), current French "top hauliers…

So a table at George Cinque…a Parisien Hotel of some , (percieved), stature was booked by my superiors as the venue…
with dire warnings about “overcooking” the wine bill…Bordeaux OK…but forget the Bollinger…(of course… I did not)!!!

Now the repast arrived…and frankly it was awfull…and the assembled throng thought so as well…

So as the smartly dressed “flunky” arrived to clear the still not cleared plates…I wrote…(and forgive me, for any lack of accuracy…for it is a long time ago),…a little note to the Head Chef…

Sir, perhaps if you would care to ring this telephone number, 22.24.26.20…Jo, @ Chez Jo, Hautvilliers, may grant you a junior position in his kitchens to “learn your chosen trade”…

The “flunky” went white…and despite his remonstrations was sent kitchenwards at great speed…

The reaction was truly spectacular…and made the night of many half starved guests…

A large…20 stone plus…red faced, apoplectic goon in a Chefs outfit appeared… and he and I engaged in a war of words…(please remember that my French was learned in the world of lorry drivers, and a long time with the "shop floor " workers in "our " Blainville lorry factory)…so perhaps the same level as a “kitchen hound”!!!

Anyway the fracas attracted the attention of the management, other diners, and just about everyone else in that overpriced pretincious establishment…

Net result , we all left, (without paying a centime)…had a glorious meal in a cafe at Les Halles, went on to the “Crazy Horse”, became totally inebriated…and had a great time…and relished each others company!!!

Spardo, if you can write a little about “Chez Jo” @ Hautvilliers…then please do, many of us have supped there, for me the place and the staff have strong affection…for they helped me personally in a very dark time as a young man…and I shall never forget their kindness…

As for the Chef at Geprge V, in Paris…I hope that his indignation made him explode…he was a useless fat pillock who could never have managed Egg and Chips at the Sunset Transport Hotel…

Cheerio for now…I raise a (very) large Bollinger to you all…and to those many Routiers that I enjoyed stopping at…

Saviem:
Spardo, if you can write a little about “Chez Jo” @ Hautvilliers…then please do, many of us have supped there, for me the place and the staff have strong affection…for they helped me personally in a very dark time as a young man…and I shall never forget their kindness…

As for the Chef at Geprge V, in Paris…I hope that his indignation made him explode…he was a useless fat pillock who could never have managed Egg and Chips at the Sunset Transport Hotel…

Cheerio for now…I raise a (very) large Bollinger to you all…and to those many Routiers that I enjoyed stopping at…

I did want to Saviem, some years ago now, because I’m sure the story is long and fascinating but as I mentioned to Craig earlier Jo never replied to my request and the next time I was there he had passed on to that great routier where the rouge never runs out and the food is always fresh and hot off his log fire. My French is good but not to miss the nuances of rapid replies I would need some native help and the one I thought would do the job was no longer available. My voisine (she who speaks English with a Glasgow accent :unamused: ) at the time would have done it for me but I think that a few days away on the other side of France would not have gone down well with my own Patronne. Note my neighbour was a voisine not a voisin :wink: :laughing:

Maybe one day, the new man and his lady are good Patrons but the real tales would come from the 2 long servers who race to and fro with their finely balanced plates, and time marches on for all of us. Even them.

I came back here for a different reason and spotted my last post re. Chez Jo’s.

The ‘new patrons’ are not so good these days and the place has gone a bit downhill. I’m talking about the service. I waited a full 5 minutes at the bar gasping for a beer on a hot day without the slightest hint of acknowledgement by the lip studded vision supposed to be serving. She wasn’t busy, just chatting to another driver, then she went to walk right past me until I had to say in a loud voice ‘pression stp’.

What made it worse was during this time the patronne, the blond who when she and her husband took over would always walk round the dining room greeting every single driver, now also chose to stand and ignore me.

I don’t know what is happening there, the taller of the 2 servers ( I never remember names, I think one is Pascal) seems to be doing the meeting and greeting while blondie does the serving, and not very well.

There is just one bright spot in all of this. Jo’s daughter still does the morning shift so breakfast is always a pleasure, being greeted by an immediate smile and handshake. :smiley:

Anyway, the reason I came here was because this week I went to Chambery and back. Overnighted after delivery at Mas Pommier just north of Pont d’Ain and was very impressed. Good food, good atmosphere, good company, good service.

On the way there and back I checked out the Bakehouse. It is still there, still the Auberge de St. Cyr, but no longer a routier I think. All the parking has now been prettified with neat little plant beds and car parking. I think you could park over the hill on the Macon side where the undeveloped shoulders still exist, but not really somewhere for wagons to stop anymore. :frowning:

Flyingrabbit:
WHAT ABOUT THE MONKEY HOUSE?

I think that Geoff The Crow mentioned that on the first page but it’s got me thinking now what was the name of the other place nearby on the left as you were heading up The Blanc towards Italy. :confused:

Saviem:
Evening all, have really enjoyed this thread
Many places mentioned I have enjoyed their food, (and of more relevance the company enjoyed),…for I always found that the “Craic” was the greatest stimulus to return…

But a little story…

Back in 78, I was tasked with “entertaining”, a collection of the “movers and shakers” of (then), current French "top hauliers…

So a table at George Cinque…a Parisien Hotel of some , (percieved), stature was booked by my superiors as the venue…
with dire warnings about “overcooking” the wine bill…Bordeaux OK…but forget the Bollinger…(of course… I did not)!!!

Now the repast arrived…and frankly it was awfull…and the assembled throng thought so as well…

So as the smartly dressed “flunky” arrived to clear the still not cleared plates…I wrote…(and forgive me, for any lack of accuracy…for it is a long time ago),…a little note to the Head Chef…

Sir, perhaps if you would care to ring this telephone number, 22.24.26.20…Jo, @ Chez Jo, Hautvilliers, may grant you a junior position in his kitchens to “learn your chosen trade”…

The “flunky” went white…and despite his remonstrations was sent kitchenwards at great speed…

The reaction was truly spectacular…and made the night of many half starved guests…

A large…20 stone plus…red faced, apoplectic goon in a Chefs outfit appeared… and he and I engaged in a war of words…(please remember that my French was learned in the world of lorry drivers, and a long time with the "shop floor " workers in "our " Blainville lorry factory)…so perhaps the same level as a “kitchen hound”!!!

Anyway the fracas attracted the attention of the management, other diners, and just about everyone else in that overpriced pretincious establishment…

Net result , we all left, (without paying a centime)…had a glorious meal in a cafe at Les Halles, went on to the “Crazy Horse”, became totally inebriated…and had a great time…and relished each others company!!!

Hello Monsieur Saviem. I hope this finds you well, and your good lady too.
If the restaurant you refer to was the Pied De Cochon, I had several hot (very) onion soups in there after unloading Scottish lambs for Guy Echallier in the early hours. Lovely establishment. Bat wing doors on both Loos but the ladies didn’t seem to care - probably straight from appearing in the Crazy Horse. Jim.

mushroomman:

Flyingrabbit:
WHAT ABOUT THE MONKEY HOUSE?

I think that Geoff The Crow mentioned that on the first page but it’s got me thinking now what was the name of the other place nearby on the left as you were heading up The Blanc towards Italy. :confused:

The Monkey house as it is now, looking very sad and sorry.
Ossie

Monkey3.jpg

Forgive me if someone has already mentioned it but the Restaurant in the TIR park Zona Franca was very good as well…

Peter 1961:
Forgive me if someone has already mentioned it but the Restaurant in the TIR park Zona Franca was very good as well…

Yes it was. I enjoyed many a Bocadillo and Coka Cola… :wink:

GS OVERLAND:

Peter 1961:

Yes it was. I enjoyed many a Bocadillo and Coka Cola… :wink:

But which one ? The early open one or the late one up the other end ?
I can remember going there as a 16 year old with one of dad’s drivers and couldn’t believe the state of the floors… ■■■ buts, sugar envelopes and various other ■■■■■ thrown on the sawdusty floor…I also remember one of my very first hangovers from hell inspired by the bar…

I swore I’d never drink again… hahahahaha

And they did a very nice knuckle of lamb if I recall correctly…

All gone now unfortunately…just container parking.

yes zona franca is gd spot or was always plenty gd fun and usually bunch of framptons around