FAILED FAILED FAILED

mrjmegson:
One roundabout I stayed in the left lane to go right, another I indicated right when going straight on, and a third I didn’t indicate off.

These points really bring home to me the differences to how things are taught and done here in France. Bearing in mind that here it is the inverse of the UK, here you would fail for not staying right when turning left, and you would fail for not indicating left when going straight on (but you do have to indicate off).

ckm1981:
Another tip is try to engage the examiner into conversation,

As for chatting to the examiner, I started up a conversation with my Cat C+E examiner, and he told met stop talking and concentrate on what I was doing :laughing:

Best of luck for the next time OP.

Gill, is your test C+E?

Talking relaxes me, so I would much prefer to chat. Silence leaves my brain free to over think things, which is when I make mistakes. I do it with everything in life, if i think about it, it goes wrong, if i don’t, it goes right.

I’m so glad I posted my whingy rant, as all your replies have been so good for me, they have really helped me to think clearly.

Sincerely thanks guys, you’re a great bunch.

Yes mine is c+e ,10.15 is my time . I understand what you are saying about the silence on my class c the examiner started chatting and then stopped and did this all the way through the test which actually helped as every time he went silent i thought ■■■■ what have I done wrong and then just drove so in some ways his sudden silences were relaxing :slight_smile:

Hi Gill,

I think mine is 11am, but i don’t think I’ve been given the actual time. Lol.

So have you had any lessons yet?

My tip for the reversing would be to go as slow as possible, and when the trailer gets out of shape, make the tiniest turns of the wheel, and give the trailer a few seconds to react. I always turned more when nothing happened, and then got all out of shape and panic turned the opposite direction, and got even more out of shape.

Slow and steady.

I am going to try and take my own advice on my next test. Lol.

Sincerely good luck with it.

Hi , no lessons yet but hoping that having towed trailers and a caravan will help when it comes to the reversing .

I’m sure your trailer and caravan experience will come in really handy. I’ve never used anything like that.

The reverse seems to be the thing that fills everyone with dread. I’ve done it once and it still unnerves me. Lol.

hoping that having towed trailers and a caravan will help when it comes to the reversing .

Certainly should do.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

The reverse seems to be the thing that fills everyone with dread. I’ve done it once and it still unnerves me. Lol.

Sometimes this is because the reverse exercise is the first reversing you do. Personally, I always start with reversing in a straight line, continue with gentle bends/recovery until the principles are mastered. Then, I’ll move on to the reversing exercise. The exception might come with someone with trailer reversing experience.

There’s more than one way to skin a rabbit, but that’s my way.

Peter Smythe:
Personally, I always start with reversing in a straight line, continue with gentle bends/recovery until the principles are mastered.

Did exactly that with a B only driver doing their first horsebox reversing the other weekend

Done that a few times in the past few months for members of the H&H site - they agree just to cover my expenses and its something I enjoy teaching … but I cancel if raining cos I aint doing it for free and getting wet :laughing:

Passed my cat c few months ago and doing my c+e this year (2015). I fortunately passed first time. My only advice is to live and breath what you’ve learned in training and think it over and over at home or wherever. It helped me. Try to relax and think totally positive if you can. You can do it! So easy to fail like we know, even the best can, but must keep a positive frame of mind. Keep a good distance, watch that speedo, mirrors, mirrors, mirrors. signal and brake in good time. Don’t worry or think about examiner, do what you’ve got to do. F him lol. Good luck and i’ll have the same attitude towards my artic license this year. I’m already watching loads of videos on net and using various sites about class 1 training and driving etc. Wherever your training, look on net, maps or even take your car out and hit them main roundabouts in your area because it will get your head into it before initial training and help a great deal. I am a newly qualified driver but I do have a steady head on my shoulders and so can you to. Now stop panicking and worrying and get a shift on! All the best!!!

Peter Smythe:

Sometimes this is because the reverse exercise is the first reversing you do. Personally, I always start with reversing in a straight line, continue with gentle bends/recovery until the principles are mastered. Then, I’ll move on to the reversing exercise. The exception might come with someone with trailer reversing experience.

There’s more than one way to skin a rabbit, but that’s my way.

I wonder if the bus company would let you put the trailer in-between two buses to simulate a tight RDC?

Do it regularly between their vehicles and ours. No problem.

Peter Smythe:
Do it regularly between their vehicles and ours. No problem.

Oh yea, I remembered I backed a Class 2 into a tight spot. :blush:

Darren, if your 1983 is the year of your birth, you sound like you have a very old wise head on young shoulders. Good advice, thanks, I will try follow it.

Pete, I’ve read one of your posts before saying that you teach reverse that way, to teach the principles. Having read that post, I asked my tutor if he taught like that, or simply taught pupils to pass the test. He said he just teaches to pass the test, as there isn’t enough time to teach the principles, and most students go back after their test for reversing lessons.

They don’t have there own yard to use, so it’s an hours drive to an airfield to reverse. The training is 4 days at 4 hours each day, and then an hour before the test. How long are your courses, as you have time to teach principles?

Jay

Pete, I’ve read one of your posts before saying that you teach reverse that way, to teach the principles. Having read that post, I asked my tutor if he taught like that, or simply taught pupils to pass the test. He said he just teaches to pass the test, as there isn’t enough time to teach the principles, and most students go back after their test for reversing lessons.

They don’t have there own yard to use, so it’s an hours drive to an airfield to reverse. The training is 4 days at 4 hours each day, and then an hour before the test. How long are your courses, as you have time to teach principles?

Hi Jay. Easy to answer that one. Our courses are 14 hours 1:1. And the reason we have time to teach the principles is that we have our own reversing area on site (in fact, it is also the test centre so you practice on the same bit of concrete as where you’re tested). Another reason is that our vehicles are superb so take no time to get used to. All the trainers are fully qualified and DSA registered. All this makes for an efficient and professional course delivery.

It also has to be said that, to teach the principles and practice them to a level where they are understood, probably takes less than 30 minutes.

Surely it’s better to spend 20 or 30 minutes learning why the trailer does what BEFORE trying the exercise than spending yet more money afterwards to learn how to reverse?

I must, in fairness, make it clear that many trainers start with the exercise and the job is completed without undue hassle. It’s just that when I was trained to train (over 40 years ago) this is how I was taught and I’ve stuck with it as I believe it works.

instead of forking out for extra Hgv training, think about paying £20 to a car instructor for a lesson in your own car. For stuff like mirrors and signalling it crosses both classes of vehicle. I was lucky in that a friend of mine is a car driving instructor and used to drive fire engines so was particularly helpful. I passed my car test in 94 and did my class 1 in December 2014 so you can appreciate I’d picked up a few habits non conducive with test requirements. :smiley:

Hi Tris,

Thanks for the suggestion, it’s a really good idea.

However, for me, my indicator issues come from not being families with the lorry yet, so thinking about what gear to use round the roundabout, and what line to take, rather than indicating.

If I took a lesson in my car, none of that would be a problem, so I’m pretty sure I’d remember my indication.

But for anyone who is simply into a bad habit of not indicating, your suggestion is excellent.

Sorry Pete, I looked at your site AFTER I asked you the question, and your site gave me all the answers.

I wish I had found you before I booked my lessons, as everything about your operation seems excellent, including you and your advice you give.

Thanks again,

Jay