F this, F that - drivers and swearing

By the nature of my job, I can’t really swear when at work, and this usually carries over into all the other parts of my life.

But I like a good swear word, and if you use them rarely enough, you can drop them into a conversation like a bomb, and they get an out-of-all-proportion reaction.

Had lunch with a big group of retired drivers yesterday, and they were mostly having a little swear. When I dropped a “■■■■■■■■” in they all swung around . . excellent.

Wheel Nut:
I think the only place you will find pure language is on pre watershed TV and Trucknet through censorship

Ironically Tnet decided that it had to take out the old Polish fighter pilot joke which was shown on the Des O Connor show of all things before we’d ever even heard of the watershed and which the women in the audience seemed to laugh at more than the men. :open_mouth: :laughing:

wanderingstar:
Excellent point Harry. maga had it I think. All my previous jobs were office jobs with graduates/professionals, and with the exception of central Scotland, they spoke nicely, not [zb] and blinding every other word. I guess if I’d gone to work in a factory or on a building site I’d have encountered the same thing. So maybe the idea it was something specific to trucking was a misapprehension and I’m just suffering a more general cultural shock. I have to say on every other level (apart from maybe cab hygiene) I’ve really taken to the trucker community. But this is a bugbear I don’t think I’ll ever get used to.

It is because you worked in an office you didn’t notice that it was people like them that cause drivers to swear.

I had the misfortune to be on the train the other day at the same time as some idiot who, from the gist of his phone conversation, is employed as an agency labourer on a building site and is not mentally equipped to understand that tax and NI come out of your wages before you receive them. His call to discuss this highly-complicated issue with the agency people was broadcast to the entire carriage and was peppered with F this and F that. The impression created was one of a knuckle-dragging neanderthal who probably has to catch his dinner before he can eat it, and who then drags his wife to bed by the hair. It’s no different to those drivers who cannot complete a sentence without swearing. It’s embarrassing to listen to them, the pea-brained cavemen.

RB84:

sammym:
Comparing Truck Drivers and Doctors is like comparing Steet Sweepers with Astronauts. They are not on the same level - and anyone who thinks they are is living in cloud cuckoo land.

There is nothing wrong with being a truck driver. But it’s comparable with being a bricklayer in a building site. You are not going to get the finest or best in society doing it as a career. It’s semi-skilled labor at best - and is done primarily by people capable of nothing more.

But that “semi skilled” Brickie, capable of nothing more, could actually be earning more than a Doctor!
If a driver or anyone doing a trade really has been doing it long enough they will or should have picked up skills and on the job knowledge that is invaluable and would hopefully always be useful.
A Doctor can unclog your bum but I bet they wouldn’t want to unclog your chimney. Just because someone appears to have a lower skill set it doesn’t mean they’re not capable of earning as much if they’re in demand.

I think that these days, we’re more worried about what Dr Footboy might be ‘unclogging one’s posteria’ with, rather than some Self-Employed Sooty and Sweep characters getting all blacked up in one’s chimney, if one can even say “Blacked” these days without 12 snowflakes dribbling virtue signals into one’s ear…

Wheel Nut:
I think the only place you will find pure language is on pre watershed TV and Trucknet through censorship and bleeps.

Woman swear more than blokes now, especially in pubs

Find a pub… Find a woman. I can’t find a bloody pub these days for a woman to be present in and swearing rather than going to the bogs in pairs, and diddling their beloved oblongs on string all the time, like their entire real life is just some virtual proxy experiement of being places they really ain’t…

I could have a bacon and egg sandwich, if only I could find some Bread… and some Bacon… And some eggs… :frowning:

I dunno about “watershed TV” - but you could always watch some kung fu fighting whilst watching watermargin TV.

Winseer:

Wheel Nut:
I think the only place you will find pure language is on pre watershed TV and Trucknet through censorship and bleeps.

Woman swear more than blokes now, especially in pubs

Find a pub… Find a woman. I can’t find a bloody pub these days for a woman to be present in and swearing rather than going to the bogs in pairs, and diddling their beloved oblongs on string all the time, like their entire real life is just some virtual proxy experiement of being places they really ain’t…

I could have a bacon and egg sandwich, if only I could find some Bread… and some Bacon… And some eggs… :frowning:

I dunno about “watershed TV” - but you could always watch some kung fu fighting whilst watching watermargin TV.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0T4AWcNFJ6Q

Still on the Space Cake I see, Winseer mate. :open_mouth: :neutral_face:

It’s a bit like other stereotypical assertions of lorry drivers. " They are fat " (In all fairness though, most ARE!). " They are stupid " (Most threads on here actually confirm that tbh). " They are bullies behind the wheel " (Also true in many cases). " They are bone idle " (True in my case :laughing: ). " They throw crap everywhere " (More truth). "They ruin grass verges/roundabouts/peoples lawns " (It’s not getting any better is it?).

So in summary, many of us are viewed as foul mouthed thick fat scruffy smelly bone idle bullies who cannot drive a truck properly…

Weird how we don’t get paid well and treated with respect :grimacing: :bulb:

eagerbeaver:
It’s a bit like other stereotypical assertions of lorry drivers. " They are fat " (In all fairness though, most ARE!). " They are stupid " (Most threads on here actually confirm that tbh). " They are bullies behind the wheel " (Also true in many cases). " They are bone idle " (True in my case :laughing: ). " They throw crap everywhere " (More truth). "They ruin grass verges/roundabouts/peoples lawns " (It’s not getting any better is it?).

So in summary, many of us are viewed as foul mouthed thick fat scruffy smelly bone idle bullies who cannot drive a truck properly…

Weird how we don’t get paid well and treated with respect :grimacing: :bulb:

Unfortunately youre right mate. Stereotypes arent generally pure fiction. Theyre a shorthand for a real world experience. Maybe car drivers dont notice the majority of truck drivers just doing their jobs. Why would they? Driving sensibly is still the norm. (Just!) But the fat, ignorant, bully who cuts them up will be remembered and reinforce the bad image.