F this, F that - drivers and swearing

You say that you’re only driving for about a year , give it time you’ll ether be like them or worse

Daytrunker:
Work based Tourette’s I think lol

I took my wife to the doctors about her Tourette’s.
Apparantly she hasn’t got it.
I am a ■■■■ and she does want me to ■■■■ off. :laughing:

Any drivers ‘meeting’ at an old job always ended with “Let’s go [zb] [zb] up!”

wanderingstar:
I’ve been driving for about a year and I am surprised they don’t actually write the ability and willingness to swear without ceasing into the job description as with almost every trucker I encounter, it’s every other word. It’s not even creative swearing, just continual staccato F-wording. Even the driver in my yard who is a vegetarian Guardian reader concerned about world issues and is a bit of a thinker, is the same.

Depressing, isn’t it? And then there are some who say that truck drivers should be treated as “professionals”.

It’s hard to imagine a true professional, such as a doctor, saying " This ■■■■■■■ bloke came into my ■■■■■■■ surgery the other day, and ■■■■ me his ■■■■■■■ blood pressure was off of the ■■■■■■■ scale".

Excellent point Harry. maga had it I think. All my previous jobs were office jobs with graduates/professionals, and with the exception of central Scotland, they spoke nicely, not ■■■■■■ and blinding every other word. I guess if I’d gone to work in a factory or on a building site I’d have encountered the same thing. So maybe the idea it was something specific to trucking was a misapprehension and I’m just suffering a more general cultural shock. I have to say on every other level (apart from maybe cab hygiene) I’ve really taken to the trucker community. But this is a bugbear I don’t think I’ll ever get used to.

F this and F that you say.

This is what Mrs Doyle would make of it

youtube.com/watch?v=XLTnacYvvg4

Harry Monk:

wanderingstar:
I’ve been driving for about a year and I am surprised they don’t actually write the ability and willingness to swear without ceasing into the job description as with almost every trucker I encounter, it’s every other word. It’s not even creative swearing, just continual staccato F-wording. Even the driver in my yard who is a vegetarian Guardian reader concerned about world issues and is a bit of a thinker, is the same.

Depressing, isn’t it? And then there are some who say that truck drivers should be treated as “professionals”.

It’s hard to imagine a true professional, such as a doctor, saying " This [zb] bloke came into my [zb] surgery the other day, and [zb] me his [zb] blood pressure was off of the [zb] scale".

I’ve worked in hospitals and I’m sure I remember some of the medical staff letting off steam in the staff room when away from the patients not much different to us construction types, just said more eleganty. I’d expect these truckers keep it clean in front of customers.

Gav

Swearing definitely has a place in the world - letting off steam after dealing with someone nearly dying on an operating table in front of you, or a having a heavy session in A+E are definitely cases in point. But when it’s heavily peppered thru normal speech some people do find it repellent. The problem is, those who don’t swear all the time don’t offend those who do. But those who do do offend some who don’t. So it’s another case of the race to the bottom where mob rule rules and where the most coarse people think that the most sensitive people should just ‘deal with it’ as they have the right to say what they want when they want.

Harry Monk:

wanderingstar:

It’s hard to imagine a true professional, such as a doctor, saying " This [zb] bloke came into my [zb] surgery the other day, and [zb] me his [zb] blood pressure was off of the [zb] scale".

I’m surprised at your view there Harry, imo there’s a world of difference between banter/chewing the fat with other drivers with plenty of [zb]ing and jeffing and talking to a customer or even a member of joe public, the latter examples are where I’d be on my best behaviour orally yet in the yard or the office it’s [zb]'s all the way… I wouldn’t be at all surprised that Doctors unwinding and sharing a G&T of an evening use a few choice words when regaling the trials and tribulations of their day too.

Comparing Truck Drivers and Doctors is like comparing Steet Sweepers with Astronauts. They are not on the same level - and anyone who thinks they are is living in cloud cuckoo land.

There is nothing wrong with being a truck driver. But it’s comparable with being a bricklayer in a building site. You are not going to get the finest or best in society doing it as a career. It’s semi-skilled labor at best - and is done primarily by people capable of nothing more.

sammym:
Comparing Truck Drivers and Doctors is like comparing Steet Sweepers with Astronauts. They are not on the same level - and anyone who thinks they are is living in cloud cuckoo land.

There is nothing wrong with being a truck driver. But it’s comparable with being a bricklayer in a building site. You are not going to get the finest or best in society doing it as a career. It’s semi-skilled labor at best - and is done primarily by people capable of nothing more.

Get get skilled fridge engineers driving trucks. You would be surprised … it was on Tav how pilots now drive a truck.

Someone I know doesn’t generally swear, but says “■■■■” with such venom it makes me wince it . He really means it when he says it.
What happens when those who habitually swear get really upset? They can’t express it because they have no words left in reserve, do they?
Thanks Juddian, for Mrs Doyle’s clip. Would Rebecca Front as the “Sweary woman of Whitehall” who mistakenky sent an email to a school girl get past our auto censors?
Racism unfortunately exists widely in society, as shown by some exoeriments. Some orchestras now have candidates for vacancies auditioning behind a curtain. They now have more female and ethnically different players. Identical job applications from a John Smith may be more successful than one ftom a person with a female or ethnically different name.
I don’t much like excessive swearing, but it doesn’t bother me overly. I don’t like any prejudices but although it seems bad amongst some drivers is it really that much worse than other jobs? With some politicians and newspapers (rags) blaming anyone slightly different for all the woes of the world, prejudices become normalised.

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

Instead of criticising those who use the words why dont you criticise the concept of swearing? I certainly dont see the logic of having a selection of words which are categorised as swearing even though those words mean the same as different words.
Ironically one of the most versatile words that we have is a swear word

Franglais:
Someone I know doesn’t generally swear, but says “■■■■” with such venom it makes me wince it . He really means it when he says it.
What happens when those who habitually swear get really upset? They can’t express it because they have no words left in reserve, do they?
Thanks Juddian, for Mrs Doyle’s clip. Would Rebecca Front as the “Sweary woman of Whitehall” who mistakenky sent an email to a school girl get past our auto censors?
Racism unfortunately exists widely in society, as shown by some exoeriments. Some orchestras now have candidates for vacancies auditioning behind a curtain. They now have more female and ethnically different players. Identical job applications from a John Smith may be more successful than one ftom a person with a female or ethnically different name.
I don’t much like excessive swearing, but it doesn’t bother me overly. I don’t like any prejudices but although it seems bad amongst some drivers is it really that much worse than other jobs? With some politicians and newspapers (rags) blaming anyone slightly different for all the woes of the world, prejudices become normalised.

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

What you are describing is implicit bias. What other are discussing is explicit bias.

I don’t think I’m racist - but I might get nervous if I’m walking in Tottenham and there are a group of black lads behind me. That’s implicit bias. Calling them names just because of the colour of their skin is explicit.

Have you ever heard the description ‘zbing thing’ spoken in Irish or West Indian it sounds exactly the same.Oh zb now I’ve done it that ticks all the PC boxes. :smiling_imp:

Youtube link removed

Bunch of snowflakes entering the industry maybe they’d prefer it if we all spoke like Mr. Humphreys in Are You Being Served,at all times. :unamused: :laughing:

But seriously as in all cases there is a time and a place and living among the WW2 generation,especially working in a factory,taught me to use the term very casually to the point where it becomes an instinctive part of the vocabulary,but even then still within limits.

Also think that it’s a misrepresentation to suggest that modern day excessive use of the term isn’t a general societal issue.Just compare the average modern day big movie dialogue with something from the 1950’s or 60’s.While it’s just as likely to hear such language from a banker at the wrong time in the wrong place as a truck driver.

sammym:

More pontificating pearls of wisdom from “Blunder Boy”!!!
How many turns of the steering■■? Your an efin oops :smiley: :smiley: joke on these threads, keep it up Jodrell, you’re true to form.

kevmac47:

sammym:

More pontificating pearls of wisdom from “Blunder Boy”!!!
How many turns of the steering■■? Your an efin oops :smiley: :smiley: joke on these threads, keep it up Jodrell, you’re true to form.

pmsl…sorry, rather roflfpmsl… :grimacing:
Im waiting for ‘how long should it take to fill a diesel tank’…

wanderingstar:

I’m not against swearing and do it myself, but the incessant nature of it in trucking I find really grating and boring and it makes me think of a friend who said people who do this all the time only do it as they don’t have a better vocabulary.

Has anyone else noticed this and found it grating, or is it just so much a part of the background noise you don’t hear it anymore?

I think you’re exaggearating mate that ‘‘Almost Every’’ trucker it’s ‘‘Every Other’’ word, I swear a bit myself, but certainly not ‘every other word’.
If literally ‘‘Every other’’ word is f.this f.that, yeh, it does get a bit tedious sometimes, but it doesn’t ‘‘offend’’ me and why (tf :smiley: ) would it?

I aint to keen if sat in a crowded bar or whatever among families with young kids, when the guy swearing is particularly gobby, but that’s down to him, he gets the dirty looks not me.

You always get swearing in nearly every group of males mate. To be honest I would just say to you don’t bother your arse about it, as long as you conduct yourself well in public, then ■■■■ everybody else …sorry about language btw. :laughing: :laughing:

Every other word is a well used turn of phrase and not meant literally.

The main issue with it is I find it boring. Imagine if they replaced the F word with ‘marshmallow’ - it would sound ridiculous to keep repeating the same word, that has no meaning, over and over again. As Franglais says, it loses its punch.

All the words in question are ■■■■■■. This conversation is making me wonder why so many guys are so attached to using ■■■ words so often with their colleagues. Maybe there is more going on subconsciously than I thought.

‘Please stop using ■■■ words with me.’

‘No, I won’t stop, you should learn to like it, take it like a man.’

Isn’t that the dialogue?

Harry Monk:

wanderingstar:

I agree 100% Harry, it is derpressing and most of the time there is no need for it. We all have a swear when we get angry or frustrated but swearing in every sentence is just plain ignorant especially when there are strangers (woman and children esp.) about most of whom do not want to hear foul langauge. It’s just another reason for the general public to think we are none too bright.