Eyesight test

blood pressure, now youre talkin! i got a high reading at the docs ,they then did a second test a week later still high so thats it im on meds next 2 yrs pass by back at same docs and pressures still high so on a whim i buy my own machine, and suprise suprise my pressures normal .

i plan to buy another machine diffrent brand and if that one says normal too iv been worrying bout nowt for years

corij:
blood pressure, now youre talkin! i got a high reading at the docs ,they then did a second test a week later still high so thats it im on meds next 2 yrs pass by back at same docs and pressures still high so on a whim i buy my own machine, and suprise suprise my pressures normal .

i plan to buy another machine diffrent brand and if that one says normal too iv been worrying bout nowt for years

White Coat Syndrome. Very common. They should accept your home readings for a HGV medical. Be careful with the 24hour monitoring machine they will probably want to attach to you, it can be very irritating / distractng and drive your BP through the roof. At least that is what I found.

They can even ask you to do a drugs test as well.

can you wear glasses for your eye test if you wear them all the time for driving but the optician said you don’t need to and its not on your license that you wear glasses

Funnily enough I was given this exact task about 3 weeks ago. To get the drivers to read a Snellen chart at 20 feet. I’m not medically qualified but I can soon tell whether someone can read or not.

As an ex driver myself I did think it was a bit OTT but in my CPC (proper one, not Mickey Mouse one) study notes it is noted down as ‘best practice’.

Most of them took it in good grace and I did find a couple who probably did need an eye test. I also had a couple like the OP who decided they knew best and refused to do it. They were given an option to do it or leave (not by me). They did it.

nyk473l:
If the Company is FORS accredited, part of their accreditation audit is that they have procedures in place to regularly check drivers eyesight.

This is spot on every 6 months we need to do the test for the piash thats FORS.The driver trainer does it takes a minute and all done no hassel no bother unless some drivers need to hide the bad eyesight.

FFS it aint a prostate exam in the middle of the office, its an eye test that takes 2mins, i dont care who says “can you read that plate” as its just an eye test that they need us to do so they can tick some boxes.

We also had to do a test (fors compliance) on a pc about hijacking/counter-terrorism.

I was going to ask for a counter-terrorism officer to supervise this and not just an office bod.

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

If they’re going to take control of your health then they should do a prostate exam, like you say not in the middle of the office but in a quiet corner with subdued lighting and maybe some soft music to set the mood. :wink: :wink:

truckertang:
FFS it aint a prostate exam in the middle of the office, its an eye test that takes 2mins, i dont care who says “can you read that plate” as its just an eye test that they need us to do so they can tick some boxes.

We also had to do a test (fors compliance) on a pc about hijacking/counter-terrorism.

I was going to ask for a counter-terrorism officer to supervise this and not just an office bod.

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Very dangerous that, if the wrong people found out you got 110% in the test it might expose your past life in the Hereford area leaving you vulnerable :wink: Should definitely be done anonymously to protect “special people”.

remy:
If they’re going to take control of your health then they should do a prostate exam, like you say not in the middle of the office but in a quiet corner with subdued lighting and maybe some soft music to set the mood. :wink: :wink:

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

remy:
I’d put up a stink about this which is what i do whenever the company sticks it’s nose into my medical affairs.

And I bet that like most that have the attitude you have that after you’ve flapped your gums in protest you did it anyway, especially when it was pointed out to you it was in your contract or it was do it or get sent home with no pay. And whilst you’re there pointlessly flapping your gums about why you shouldn’t do it and getting your knickers in a twist everyone else has done it and got on with the rest of their lives.

That’s what makes me laugh about people like you, all Billy Bigbollocks but ultimately you end up towing the line anyway.

funny really everyone going on about they are not profesionnel eye testers nor is a gp or a medic doing your hgv medical so if in doubt go to a optician its worth it

Conor:

remy:
I’d put up a stink about this which is what i do whenever the company sticks it’s nose into my medical affairs.

And I bet that like most that have the attitude you have that after you’ve flapped your gums in protest you did it anyway, especially when it was pointed out to you it was in your contract or it was do it or get sent home with no pay. And whilst you’re there pointlessly flapping your gums about why you shouldn’t do it and getting your knickers in a twist everyone else has done it and got on with the rest of their lives.

That’s what makes me laugh about people like you, all Billy Bigbollocks but ultimately you end up towing the line anyway.

In fact i did win in my situation thanks to flapping my gums at the safety manager and a group of nurses about my medical exam. We’ve had things changed when enough drivers flap their gums so it does work sometimes.
We don’t have contracts, its ‘work at will’ which means the company can fire you without notice for any or no reason. That means you have to know when to stop flapping and keep your (mine) gob shut. :wink:

nuffer1960:
Thanks for the reply’s. My eyesight is fine I refused because he is not an eyesight professional. It just the principle of it.

Oh my goodness, your one of them.
:unamused:

Maybe it’s because I’ve got astigmatism, so I’ve worn glasses/contacts for years, but many people insist they’ve got perfect vision… then can’t read something I can, or their last eye test was when they were 16 etc etc.

Being able to see perfectly is AMAZING. I can’t understand anyone who is happy wandering around with substandard vision. :open_mouth:

ⁿºᵗʰ’ⁿᵍ ʷʳºⁿᵍ ʷ’ᵗʰ ᵐʸ ᵉʸᵉˢ’ᵍʰᵗ TEST Please :grimacing:

We are then asked to sigh to say we had completed this.

No problem. Just take a deep breath and…sigggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

This first came out with FORS about 5/6 years ago and I thought it was a bit OTT, since then I have had numerous drivers fail, one young lad in his 30’s now wears glasses for driving, another guy was discovered to have type 2 diabetes, and with drivers getting older these sort of things creep up on you between medicals.
From thinking this was unnecessary I am now strongly in favour of some form of quick number plate check to make sure I and other driver cans still read one at the minimum distance on a regular basis.