extendable trailers

limeyphil:

chaversdad:

thunder367:
no matter what size over hang or length i always put makers and beacons on even in the day time.but even with all this on the bloody car drives still take no notice and never give u the room u need to get round abouts or turning out of side streets or even backing in places.they see a gap and go for it and will never wait till u have finished.
i sya make up and fit flashing beacons at all times just to be on the safe side.

and there lies the problem, every tom ■■■■ and harry sticking orange flashing lights on there trailers an trucks for absolutely no reason at all {a 60ft trailer isnt long and 3.0mtrs isnt wide} so the car drivers are so used to seeing them they simply dont take any notice any more, now if vehicles that really needed them were the only ones to have them fitted then it may be a different story, nothing ■■■■■■ me off more than being sat behind some div with his trailer opened up 1 hole or with 3 ft over the back who feels he has to have a “look at me” flashing light on the back and you have to sit behind him doing 56 on the motorway with that thing blinding you :sunglasses: :smiling_imp: seriously whats wrong with a single red lamp at the back?

3.0 metres wide is abnormal, if the trailer is open by 1 hole, then it’s long and needs beacons.

no it isnt and no it doesnt but as long as your happy :wink:

A slight tangent to the topic but isn’t it time a law was passed about the brightness of some of these flashing beacons, some of them really do blind you.

There’s no need for them to be so bright :open_mouth:

chaversdad:

limeyphil:

chaversdad:

thunder367:
no matter what size over hang or length i always put makers and beacons on even in the day time.but even with all this on the bloody car drives still take no notice and never give u the room u need to get round abouts or turning out of side streets or even backing in places.they see a gap and go for it and will never wait till u have finished.
i sya make up and fit flashing beacons at all times just to be on the safe side.

and there lies the problem, every tom ■■■■ and harry sticking orange flashing lights on there trailers an trucks for absolutely no reason at all {a 60ft trailer isnt long and 3.0mtrs isnt wide} so the car drivers are so used to seeing them they simply dont take any notice any more, now if vehicles that really needed them were the only ones to have them fitted then it may be a different story, nothing ■■■■■■ me off more than being sat behind some div with his trailer opened up 1 hole or with 3 ft over the back who feels he has to have a “look at me” flashing light on the back and you have to sit behind him doing 56 on the motorway with that thing blinding you :sunglasses: :smiling_imp: seriously whats wrong with a single red lamp at the back?

3.0 metres wide is abnormal, if the trailer is open by 1 hole, then it’s long and needs beacons.

no it isnt and no it doesnt but as long as your happy :wink:

anything over 2.9 metres wide is legally classed as abnormal.
but my comment about the length is just a personal preference, not a legal thing.

Width:
-Width exceeding 3.0 metres (9’6") up to 5.0 metres (16’5")
Action required: 2 clear days notice to the police.
-Width exceeding 5.0 metres (16’5") up to 6.1metres (20’)
Action required: Highways Agency (10 days notice) form VR1 plus 2 clear days notice to Police.
-Width exceeding 6.1 metres (20’)
Action required: Highways Agency Special Order (8 weeks notice) plus 5 clear days notice to Police and 5 clear days notice with indemnity to Highway and Bridge Authorities.
Length:
-When exceeding 18.75 metres (60’1") up to 30 metres (98’5") rigid- (Vehicle or train of vehicles)
Action required 2 clear days notice to the police.
-When exceeding 30 metres (98’5") rigid
Action required Highways Agency Special Order (8 weeks notice) to Police and 5 clear days notice with indemnity to Road and Bridge Authorities.
2) Construction and Use Regulations
sorry i couldnt resist :laughing: :laughing: :wink:

you’re right chaversdad.
the DfT website confirms that it is 3.0 metres, and not 2.9 metres.
however, my FTA handbook states 2.9 metres, and that’s what i’ve refered to on these matters, until now.

i know the difference between 2.9 and 3.0 metres is sod all, but as i’m sure you know, it can make a big difference with the wrong vosa man.

just read some more, now it goes back to the 2.9 metre thing. :unamused:

1. Construction and Use Regulations
    Construction and Use Regulations 1986 apply to loads, which are wide or long but not heavy. Vehicle lengths may reach 27.4 metres and can be carried on specially designed vehicles. Loads up to 30.0 metres long can be moved under STGO. Loads carried on any other type of vehicle or loads in excess of 30.0 metres length can be moved under STGO. Loads carried on any other type of vehicle or loads in excess of 30.0 metres require a Special Order.

Widths above 2.9 metres but less than 4.3 metres are permitted by the Construction and Use Regulations.

There seems to be much on the LOAD size regs but naff all on TRAILER size regs…

limeyphil:
just read some more, now it goes back to the 2.9 metre thing. :unamused:

1. Construction and Use Regulations
    Construction and Use Regulations 1986 apply to loads, which are wide or long but not heavy. Vehicle lengths may reach 27.4 metres and can be carried on specially designed vehicles. Loads up to 30.0 metres long can be moved under STGO. Loads carried on any other type of vehicle or loads in excess of 30.0 metres length can be moved under STGO. Loads carried on any other type of vehicle or loads in excess of 30.0 metres require a Special Order.

Widths above 2.9 metres but less than 4.3 metres are permitted by the Construction and Use Regulations.

Havent looked it up but that paragraph looks like its about the class of vehicle to be used rather than if the load is notifiable as abnormal, 3 metre wide used to be notifiable but it may have changed

3.05 and over we notify now riki

chaversdad:

thunder367:

I have to agree here I have all the beacons signs ect but only put the signs on beacons stay under the bunk they don’t blind other road users there :smiley: