expats

It’s a bit James Bond getting Canadian citizenship as you are a dual citizen and can have two passports. I never realised Australia was the same, but with it being a commonwealth country it’s no wonder really.

A mate of mine here had residency in NZ and renewed it a couple of years ago, no requirement to spend any time there as there is in Canada in order to keep PR there.

Is Australia the same as NZ or like Canada when it comes to PR?

newmercman:
It’s a bit James Bond getting Canadian citizenship as you are a dual citizen and can have two passports. I never realised Australia was the same, but with it being a commonwealth country it’s no wonder really.

A mate of mine here had residency in NZ and renewed it a couple of years ago, no requirement to spend any time there as there is in Canada in order to keep PR there.

Left Oz when I was knee high to a grasshopper , so not a clue about PR . Make the rules up as they go along don’t they ?

It is a frustrating experience getting PR and citizenship in Canada (as you know) although in theory it should keep the riff raff out, well it should, but it doesn’t appear to. Lots of immigrants here that clearly do not meet the requirements that we had to meet in order to get here, language, skills, financial standards etc, makes a bit of a mockery of the whole thing really.

As commonwealth subjects it wouldn’t be beyond the realms of possibility to imagine that we’d get an easy ride. Not so, makes me wonder if we’re the riff raff they’re trying to keep out lol.

I guess I slipped through the net!

BTW McNally said to say hello, I was with him last week, mad as a box of frogs…

Cultural diversity . that’s what the PC lefties are striving for hence being from the commonwealth puts us at an immediate disadvantage , so all the hurdles put in our way . John Mac , we tried to get him working out of Regina for us but he firmly refused to learn the IT side of the job , dddaft old bbbbugger .

After witnessing him trying to use an iPhone and a sat nav, I’d say you had a lucky escape, he is not too good with technology.

Hello All,
Anyone else driving/living in Czech?

I was one of the first to start the French process, even got the language attestation well in advance, but then saw what all the hoops needed to jump through, and thought that I will take my chances with post Brexit.

Also, I realised that what I really wanted was not French citizenship, but continued European. I have always been a committed European, not even bothered about being British anymore.

Oh, and I have always emphasised that I am an immigrant here, not an expatriate. :smiley:

My own experience.
I have lived in New Zealand for 15 years, if you were to meet me you wouldnt believe the Yorkshire accent coming out of my fizhog.
I have forged some very deep friendships with the natives and in general, fit right in with them, but every now and again some POME reference enters the conversation and the positive re-enforcement within the group, reminds me that I’m an outsider. Easily ridiculed comeback becomes generic after a while, like"Yeah, the All Blacks have a good game, but how"s youre country going in the PROPPER world cup■■?"

I am both expatriate and immigrant, depending on you’re point of view.

I’m just me.

newmercman:

PR, here is Australia, we moved over after my wife’s qualification… we are residents going for dual nationals… we return to the uk inside of 18 months hopefully, but if we leave as residents we would need a residents return visa RRV, I think they are only valid for so long though really not sure, if citizenship isn’t finished by the time we leave we will just give up residences and return